DKNY DKNY

Cons Bit over-powering
Staying power
Design of the bottle

"My 9 inches of heaven"

Thats exactly how tall this bottle is - 9 inches (bet that puts quite a few of you lads to shame!!!). I am a bit of a fan of Ghost but recently on an outing (I love shopping outings!) to Debenhams I walked past the perfume counter (quite quickly I must add to avoid being sprayed with 10 different perfumes by the women in white coats!) and I spotted this sleek looking bottle. I stopped in my tracks!

The bottle itself is truly amazing...a tall (9 incher) elegant slim bottle in a diamond shape. Frosted glass on the front and back - clear at the sides, and a frosted plastic lid with the DKNY logo on. The box is fabulous - a silver 'oiled' effect which you can see rainbow colours in. All in all, it was the simplicity and elegance of the packaging that caught my eye. Then the perfume....

The first squirt is extremely potent - very fruity. The most over powering smell I think is of pink grapefruit. Then you get the lemon and orange in its depths. Its a real sweet smell...reminds me of Robinsons Fruit & Barley Pink Grapefruit squash (possibly a cheap alternative?!).

After you get over-powered by the grapefruit it does mellow out but this takes a while. The smell gets sweeter and mellow but not sickly (although you are probably best to spray this at least an hour before you go out so as not to knock people out!). I have the Eau de Parfum and it lasts all day and even after a bath you can still smell a hint of grapefruit!

It is quite a versatile - a light spray for daytime or a heavier spray for evening (just don't over do it during the day!). I haven't actually seen this perfume in Eau de Toilette but if they do it, this may be a better and not so heavy option. I must say that my 9 incher is the 100ml bottle (they also do a 50ml bottle). It is quite expensive with a RRP of £47 for the 100ml but I got mine from pharmacy2u.co.uk last week (see op) for £28 (after 25% discount).

I would just warn you that due to the shape of the bottle - very tall, slim and quite heavy, do not put it somewhere that it may easily fall from. It is a bit wobbly - I put it on top of a chest of drawers and everytime I opened them it fell over! The box is also a little awkward to store the bottle in - everytime you want to use it you have to spend several minutes trying to wrestle the bottle in and out of its box (although I suppose you have to wrestle with anything of 9 inches!).

A little history for you...DKNY was originally launched in 1992 as a floral number but was discontinued in 1998. The new DKNY was re-launched in 2000 - with a new smell and new packaging.

To conclude, a great perfume in a classy box - just don't over-do it and shop around as it can be quite expensive. I'm definitely happy with my 9 inches of heaven :-)

p.s. With thanx to Stravaig for giving the inspiration for the title! (as taken from her knife opinion)

• just.bcoz published 02/01/2008
    Great review
  • maximax published 21/12/2001
    good detailed op, thanx. ma x.
  • MelNL published 01/04/2001
    Well, I must say, this was an excellent piece. The first one I've read of yours, and the title certainly drew me to look at it first!!! I think you just about included any questions I might of had on this product - very informative. And thanks for the tip - I now see how to write in paragraphs!!

offers "DKNY DKNY"