Da Sandro Pizzeria Venice Island, Venice

Da Sandro Pizzeria Venice Island, Venice

Pizzeria

Review of "Da Sandro Pizzeria Venice Island, Venice"

published 23/03/2008 | poshtroika
Member since : 15/07/2007
Steve Fountain aged 65. Took retirement in February after total of 49 Years work . Made it to METEORA in 2014. Crete and Kos this year. 2017 will be Lesbos and Tingaki again.
Pro Calzone and Pizza to die for.
Cons Closed on Fridays
Standard of Menu
Atmosphere
Standard of Service
Cleanliness

"DA SANDRO A CALZONE LOVERS HEAVEN"

A CALZONE lovers view of Da Sandro. (Folded Pizza)
Opening Hours Sat - Thurs 1130 am to 1130 pm.
Address San Palo 1473
Accept Credit Cards AE MC VISA

I know Bostonianbeer has done a review on Da Sandro which we visited in Venice this year.
But I feel duty bound to put a CALZONE fanactics point of view.

How to find Da Sandro.
Cross over the Rialto Bridge and continue ahead until you see a kind of main street leading to your left, it should be called Vecchia San Giovanni, it has shops down the lengh of it. When it ends in a small square diagonally oposite you will see a small alley/street C di Mezzo this will lead you to Campiello dei Meloni, look around and you will see Da Sandro,

The Restaurant has two rooms on either side of the street, the one on the right has tables out front enclosed in a tented area.
The seats in here are Benches and tables, the minus is that the Benches are fixed to the tables, so the gap you see is the gap you sit in, be warned this gap is not very wide so if above size ZERO get an inside table.
They get busy so best book ahead TEL 041-523-4894.

The first night we had to sit ouside, another disadvantage of the outside is that although smoking is banned inside (as here) it is not banned in tempory structures, so if a non smoker, even more reason to get inside.

They have a fixed price menu at 17 EUROS, FOR THIS YOU GET A CHOICE OF 3 ITEMS FOR First Plate, 3 items for Second Plate, Desert and half a litre of wine, service is included in this price.

We eat of main menu and you end up with what you want and not for a lot more than 17 euros.

So there are about 12 dirrerent Pastas for starters also wonderful Vegtable Soup, Motserella/Tomato Salad, Capriese Salad. all fresh and wonderful.
Pizza lovers choice of about 40 different.

I had CALZONE. well when it came to the table I must say I was impressed just to look at it, who says SIZE does not matter.
Imagine the largest Cornish Pasty you have ever seen then think 3 times as big.
Next the fork Test will it deflate when pricked, in went the fork, out came the fork, it did not move. A mighty beast indeed.
Also it was smothered in tomatoes, I really like this, it is not only pleasant to the eye but adds moisture.
I tucked in, Wonderful Ham,Mushrooms, Some Arcichokes, an egg had also been cooked just right inside.
I think this place has spoiled all others where I will order a Calzone.

The other Pizzas the flat kind as against the folded Calzone that were devoured by our party also went down very well, not a morsal was left.
But that is how Pizza is in Italy, a thin base to carry the flavours of the topping, not a great stodgy dough we call DEEP PAN,.

The House wine at 8 Euros a litre was very good.
Beers large (400 ml) 4 euros.

We immediately booked an inside table for the next night, on this occassion we were given complimentary spirits at the end of the meal.
We then found out that for our 3rd and last night that they do not open on Fridays, so then we discovered Pane e Vino see seperate review.

The staff mainly ladies were very friendly and attentive, you really feel this is a place for locals and tourists are those in the know or have
stumbled upon it.

Would I recommend Da SANDRO, you bet I do I can not wait until next March for our Annual Anniversery trip to Venice, so am looking at earlier options, BUT NEVER ON A FRIDAY.

********************** 2011 update. ************************

We ate here again this year, slightly disappointed.

Food still very good and good value.
But House wine now 14 Euros a litre, far to much.

Also althouigh we had booked got put in small annex across the road, very cramped area.
So if booking specify you want to be in main Restauranr, and apart from House wine price you will have a good one.

Ciao.

• S.Bate published 09/04/2008
    Sounds good, must go and check this out!
  • twingkelingstar published 30/03/2008
    Sounds delish! Good review x
  • manlybeach published 24/03/2008
    You liked it then! Good review