Daddy's Little Girl - Julia Latchem-Smith

Daddy's Little Girl - Julia Latchem-Smith

Non-fiction - Biography - ISBN: 0755316371

Review of "Daddy's Little Girl - Julia Latchem-Smith"

published 09/08/2008 | Annabel19
Member since : 08/08/2008
Good
Pro A little shocking in parts, admirable for her bravery
Cons Dissapointing ending, not very well written.
Degree of Information
How easy was it to read / get information from
How interesting was the book?
How useful was it?
Would you read it again?

"Daddy's Little Girl, Julia Latchem Smith"

I have always enjoyed memoirs, its a genre i continually revisit, and tales of hardship always compel me. I particularly enjoy drug/rehab memoirs, such as 'A million little pieces' by James Frey, and 'A piece of cake' by Cupcake Brown. I also love emotional rollercoasters, i love Jodi Picoult, and i've also read several similar stories of Child Abuse. I decided this book would be perfect.

I bought the book in Woolworths in my lunch break, and was intrigued by the cover. I started reading it as soon as i got home, but dispite being a page turner, it was dissapointing. The book was strangely compelling, i had to keep reading to find out what was going to happen next, but it never excited me.

The novel is written in a really matter-of-fact way. Despite the fact the acts were horrifying, i didn't feel the protagonist's pain, i couldn't relate to the character and i didn't connect emotionally. I found myself carrying on with it out of curiosity over the facts, rather than enjoying the read. I finished it unsatisfied and indifferent.

I am not a very emotional person, i don't cry at books and films easily, so i passed it on to my flatmate, who does. She came back with the same response: "Its not very well written, is it? I didn't cry at all".

Worth a read if you have nothing else to read, but only as a vaguely acceptable book. I suppose it would be better in that crying stage in the month!

This review was read 2098 times and was rated at

• just.bcoz published 26/11/2009
    I've just finished this book and I thought it was really good.
  • pixie65 published 09/08/2008
    hiya good review - check out other book reviews for more tips to get higher ratings - have just put a book review on about Bruno see if it helps - good luck with future stuff and welcome to Ciao - will look out for you x hev