Daihatsu Hijet Van

Daihatsu Hijet Van

Petrol

Review of "Daihatsu Hijet Van"

published 08/07/2008 | Crag10
Member since : 28/01/2003
Pro Roomy, Ecconomical, conversation piece
Cons Noisy at speed, Sways in wind, Bucking bronco over speed humps
Road Handling
Features
Fuel consumption
Looks

"Daihatsu Hijet. MPV, 7 Seater 933cc 1997"

I bought an R Reg Hijet, just over a month ago.

Was a little wary, as it looked, initialy, like a 10 pack cigarrette box (sideways on) with wheels and windows.

It had the tiniest wheels I have ever seen on a 'car' (mpv), those being 12", mine does not have the luxury of power steering, but once you get going, it's very easy to turn.

It is a 933cc, get around 35 to a gallon of petrol on Motorways (60mph), or around 30 in city traffic.

I've had it up to 75, with still some push left in it, I feel it could do 80/85 mph.

Gets rather noisy over 60mph, with the diff at the back, whining louder and louder as speed increases.

It does bounce over speed humps, as I found out when I 'bounced' over one at 30mph (well I could do it in my Rover!), I also bounced, as did my passenger, till the high roof stopped us.

Lesson learnt.

On motorways it may not wobble, but when heavy wagons pass by,or you pass one, it does push into the side, or get sucked to the centre lane, but you learn to compensate as it is happening.

I've found it is one of those vehicles which everyone just has to get past, no matter what your speed your doing, it seems they don't want to be embarrassed by being behind one.

The engine is all inside, under the raised driver/passenger seat, which fold backwards, each front seat is basically a bonnet, allowing access to each half of the engine.

A lot of work can be carried out from inside the vehicle, which is good in the snow/rain.

As long as you have a little basic mechanical skills, you can easily change the oil filter, air filter, refil with oil, spark plugs etc, all from with the vehicle.

It has two sliding doors behind the passenger/drivers doors, and a large, full size, lift up door giving access to the back.

It has 7 seats, the rear seat being a three seater, the other 4 all being single seats.

Though whilst it does have 7 seats, you would be hard pressed to fit anyone in the centre of the rear seats.

The rear seats fold under and upwards, creating a very large space in the rear, for a host of bagage, boxes etc.

All the seats will fold flat, onto each other, making the whole van one big 'bed.

We have removed the rear three seats, making the 'boot' space at the rear even more roomy, we have had double beds in it (folded), a commericial 42 tube sunbed, wheelbarrow, electric wheelchair (full size one), and a host of other bits and bobs, which would be immpossible to fit into a normal sized car, or even most of the so called people carriers, which, outside are larger.

The advantage of this van, is that whilst it only has the length of a Vauxhall Corsa, there is no front engine compartment, or rear boot compartment, it's a box with seats on top, engine underneath.

There are no real luxerys with this car, basic seats, bog standard radio (now fitted a cd player), bumpy over holes, sways like an elephant in wind, and is a little noisy at speed.

But, with the space it provides, the MPG it gives, and the versatility of this little workhorse, I would highly reccomend it as a run about.

First time starter, excellent heater, excellent large mirrors, large windows, turns in 21', and even more interesting, is that as it is so basic, and takes so little time to remove all the seats, it is so open to being 'changed' inside, to your hearts content.

Tax, for this one, is £66 for 6 months, the Insurance however was in fact £30 more than my Rover, as Swinton have classed it as an MPV, 7 seater.

Touch wood, I have not yet had to replace any parts, though I assume only Daihatsu Parts will fit, as mentioned in other reviews, luckily though I have some mechanical knowledge, and a family of qualified mechanics on tap, so, hopefully, my only costs for parts will be parts, plus a pint or two.

• LUNAH_C published 08/07/2008
    We loved our van but the cost of repairs, as only Daihatsui parts fit, plus the fact that DVLA insisted on taxing it as a commercial vehicle forced us to swap it for a nice family vehicle..........which now they want to tax as a gas guzzler when it is one of the best on emissions! Can't win. Anyway, great review and enjoy the vehicle. I loved drriving it......when it worked!