Kitchen Cleaner

Review of "Daisy Kitchen Cleaner Spray"

published 28/04/2012 | pink_champagne
Member since : 08/06/2003
Why don't photos seem to show up on my reviews any more?
Pro very cheap, works well
Cons would prefer a stronger, prettier scent!
Do you need to use much for each clean?
Irritable to skin?
Longlasting effects?

"Fantastic cleaning for under 50p!"

Daisy Kitchen Cleaner Spray

I purchased my bottle of Daisy kitchen cleaner for two reasons – firstly I’d read lots of positive reviews on it and secondly it was much cheaper than Flash, which is the cleaner I usually buy.

Daisy is a budget brand available from Tesco. I had only tried one Daisy product previously – a fabric conditioner – so I wasn’t overly sure of what to expect, but at just 46p a bottle, I figured I didn’t have much to lose by finding out.

The product comes in a white spray bottle with yellow and white trigger spray and the overall look is plain and simple, yet it doesn’t necessarily scream ‘budget’ the way some cheap products can. The nozzle has a twist top to lock it into the on/off position and I’ve had no problem with leaks from the bottle. The only thing I’d perhaps like is for the bottle to be clear so I can see how much I have left, but that’s only a minor thing – other than that I have no complaints with the packaging.

The product is suitable for use on most hard surfaces, including (according to the bottle) UPVC windows. It should not be used on aluminium, soft furnishings, painted or porous surfaces.

In my household, this is mainly used for wiping down the kitchen benches, draining board (stainless steel), kitchen table (which is a cheap one with laminated type finish) and the hob, which is also stainless steel.

The directions state that the spray should be sprayed sparingly onto surfaces and in my experience I would say that most surfaces don’t need more than one or two sprays of this at a time, which is great as it makes it even more economical.

The spray itself is clear and has a mild scent to it. I would say it is slightly lemony, although there are chemical tones to the scent. I normally buy Flash because it comes in an array of lovely fragrances, which make the room smell lovely – I don’t find this one strong enough to leave much of a scent behind but it’s something I’m willing to sacrifice for the saving in cost.

Performance wise, this product has really surprised me. I thought perhaps being cheaper, it may not have as much cleaning power as some of the branded ones, but it’s actually really good. It gets rid of everything in it’s way – the benches and table don’t tend to get all that dirty – perhaps the odd splash of sauce, gravy or tea, but the cooker is often left looking filthy from pans I’ve let boil over or sauces/fat that has splashed out when cooking. So far, this cleaner has removed every stain it has been faced with and best of all no scrubbing is required, it simply lifts stains off when wiped with a soft damp cloth. For particularly stubborn burnt on stains, I do find that I need to leave it on a little while – it says 30 seconds on the bottle, but 10 is usually enough – but once the time is up it will lift stains off effortlessly. As well as being good at lifting off stains it also leaves the surfaces looking sparkly – especially the stainless steel. It doesn’t leave streaks behind on stainless steel either, which is a bonus.

I usually use gloves when cleaning, as most cleaners dry my hands out. I have only used this on the odd occasion without gloves and have not noticed any negative effects.

As mentioned near to the beginning of the review, this cleaner costs just 46p from Tesco and that is for a generous 500ml bottle. Since only a few sprays are required per use, it seems to be lasting me quite well too.

On the whole, I really can’t recommend this strongly enough. I expected it to be ‘OK’ and nothing more, but it really has surpassed all of my expectations. It works incredibly well, the only thing I would change is perhaps to give it a nicer smell, but that’s only a minor niggle, on the whole I think this would have to get the full five stars from me.