Day by Day - Yolanda Adams

Day by Day - Yolanda Adams

Review of "Day by Day - Yolanda Adams"

published 03/07/2015 | jcneil
Member since : 16/07/2004
Hi everyone, I am 30 and I mostly write music reviews on here, I also do the odd fragrance review. I used to write on dooyoo but have switched to writing on just ciao now. I will be trying to write a couple of reviews every two days.
Pro Vocals, music
Cons Not a lot wrong
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"Gospel truth"

**Introduction**

It was probably around five years ago that I heard of Yolanda Adams, I believe it was when one of her songs came up on a station that I was listening to on Launch.com. Since then I have not heard too much about her apart from looking around the internet myself. I was looking around Spotify and decided to type her name into the search bar and it came up with all the material it had of Yolanda Adams, there was her classic cover of R Kelly's I Believe I Can Fly which was the song that first introduced me to her awesome vocal power. I spotted this album I had not heard called Day by Day and I thought I would have to have a listen.

**Day by Day**

Day by Day is the follow up to the somewhat underwhelming "Believe" which did not live up to expectations. Day by Day was released in 2005, four years after the previous album and is the tenth studio album from Yolanda Adams. Whilst the albums roots are clearly in Gospel there's also elements of R&B and even Hip Hop mixed in with the Gospel vibe. This makes for a very interesting listening experience. Here's what I thought of the album.

1 Victory

The album opens with the Gospel/Hip Hop of "Victory", this has a Gospel style that gets an interesting boost from the catchy Hip Hop beat which backs the choir very well indeed.

2 Tonight

is a smooth ballad which has a very laid back manner. I like the fact that all the instruments get their turn to shine, there are some bass notes that come for the fore and little guitar licks.

3 Someone Watching Over You

This is a very good track which opens with a nice beat and then Adams' gentle vocals come in with a sweet sensitivity. This is a really beautiful track with a great flow. One of the best tracks on the album for sure.

4 Alwaysness

The name of the track is not even a proper word but the actual track is very good indeed. A really gentle combination of piano, gentle beat and strings is the ideal backing for Yolanda Adams' voice to shine. This track is about knowing that whenever you have trouble there will always be someone there to help you

5 Day by Day

The title track "Day By Day" follows and this is a catchy mid tempo ballad which has a good flow and some very fine vocals. Another very good track which showcases her fine vocal ability and the excellent structure of the track too.

6 Lift Him Up - Yolanda Adams, Mary Mary, Donnie McClurkin

This is a fantastic collaboration with Mary, Mary and Donnie McClurkin on "Lift Him Up" This features all of the artists on top form vocally and this really is a very impressive track indeed. It's up there with the best tracks on the album.

7 It's Gon Be Nice

Now we come to the track "It's gon' be nice" which is a catchy mid tempo track which has some strong vocals from Yolanda Adams but it does not quite have the same spark as the best on the album but is still a very good track which has it's place on the album.

8 Be Blessed

This is a really impressive slow ballad which opens with gentle piano and Yolanda Adam's emotive vocals, the beat then comes in and this track is about wanting a friend to have the best. A really impressive track and one of the best on the album and a fine example of her talent.

9 Better Than Gold

This is another very impressive slow track which is a very tender ballad, if a little short at 3.37 compared to the 5 minutes or so of the best tracks on the album. It still showcases the fine vocals from Yolanda Adams and the music adds a nice touch too.

10 Show Me

This is a track which is a really beautiful piano led track which showcases the passion in her vocals to great effect, This is up there with the best on the album and is a great indication of the quality of her voice and the way she develops a track over it's length.

11 I'm Grateful

I'm Grateful" is next and this is a catchy mid tempo track with a great beat and some nice keyboard sounds. A very strong track which switches things up a little from the ballads on the album but showcases a nice range in vocals and musical style. Good stuff.

12 This Too Shall Pass

Here we come to the end of the album and the closer which is a beautiful end to what has been a very strong album. This track is probably the greatest example of the beauty and grace of her voice. This is a superb closer and in my opinion is probably the best track on the album.

**Overall**

Whilst my Religious views are somewhat the same as Christopher Hitchen's and George Carlin's I really do like Gospel Music as the singing is often incredible and more and more of it seems to be questioning "God" rather than boundless worship. Yolanda Adams is one of the best Gospel singers around and the fact that she is also so adept at more contemporary music too is what makes her so appealing, This is a fine record that gets better towards the middle and stays at a very consistent level after that. I have requested another few Yolanda Adams albums which have now been uploaded to the dooyoo site so I will be working on those in the next week or so. Day by Day is a very good album indeed.

• Secre published 27/08/2015