Day's, Bournemouth

Asian Restaurant - Address: Unit 3, St. Peters Quarter, Old Christchurch Road, Bournemouth BH1 2AD

Review of "Day's, Bournemouth"

published 17/07/2017 | pinotprincess
Member since : 17/08/2014
Is anyone else suffering from pop up overload on here? Adverts are driving me mad.
Good
Pro nice water display and coy carp in reception
Cons lack of dishes for lunch time, staff not very social, toilets need bleach and music is awful.
Standard of Menu

St Peters Quarter
Bournemouth
BH1 2AD
TEL: 01202 318 888

There are three of restaurants, one in Poole, the other Bournemouth and Brighton. It was the Bournemouth one we visited recently and therefore the review is based on my experience there.

***** WHY CHOOSE THIS RESTAURANT?******

A random off the cuff moment and driving to Sandbanks to be exact, it was lunchtime and we were starting to feel hungry. The only place I know in Bournemouth to eat is on the pier but it was heaving due to the good weather and everyone out.

I googled buffet restaurants on my iPhone and though this wasn’t the first choice, The Food Factory came up first , we decided to try somewhere new and the lunchtime prices were pretty reasonable.

The sat nav got us there quite easily and just 5 minutes’ walk from the beach and pier.

***** PARKING*****

It’s Bournemouth and if anyone knows the area then it’s a total nightmare for parking, even NCP parking is full and prices here are a total rip off.

Days is situated just off the town but none the less still in a busy high street.

There is no parking outside that’s permit bays only and double yellow lines.

Drive a little further up from Lloyd s bar and up the hill is some parking slots at £2 an hour. Meter pay only and if you can eat quickly an hour should cover it.

***** FIRST IMPRESSIONS ******

Very oriental in design and very dark from the outside. Easy access for disabled and prams.

Inside has subdued lightning but it’s a relaxed atmosphere and the place is welcoming.

You have to pay for your buffet before you eat, guess they had many eat and go and no longer take any chances. You can pay by cash or card and they take Amex but you need a minimum spend on any card of £5. Drinks you pay separate at the other till by the bar and if you wanted just a coke for one then they won’t accept your card payment.

Once you pay you are taken to the tables and we were lucky it was pretty empty so had the choice of where we wanted. We opted to go by the window, no idea why as the glass is frosted so you see nothing outside anyway.

A table for two is cramped, just wanted to give you heads up. If you can, have a bigger one and spread out.

**** ONCE SEATED*****

No one takes your drink order, you have to go to the bar and pay separately. The waiter however did bring us a small glass of tepid tap water each. I was hoping for a jug with ice and two glasses, well not here.

Once you’re seated, go and grab a plate and fill your boots.

The restaurant dishes aren’t laid out in order of starters and main meal, well not at lunchtime. Plates are situated everywhere and literally help yourself.

I am a vegetarian so my choice was limited but my partner loves meat so he was a happy camper.

My food consisted of rice, chips, cucumber slices, veggie spring roll and saag paneer (Indian dish with spinach).

The salad cart was pathetic and I saw no pasta dishes.

Most sections were empty and signs were up saying for evening buffet only. The chocolate fountain was shut and the deserts available were pretty poor for lunchtime diners.

A small scoop of ice-cream and a bit of fruit is all on offer.
The choice is limited for lunch time diners but there are curries, rice dishes, pizza, chips, noodles (cooked to order) and cucumber slices. The salad cart was a joke.

****TOILETS*****

Oh my days a total nightmare, down a long flight of stairs and then a further corridor and then pass more tables to reach the loo. Disabled toilets are on the restaurant level but are locked. Baby changing also on the same level.

It’s a long walk back too is all I’m saying and the toilets aren’t exactly spotless, the toilet bowl was dark brown. Has no one heard of bleach here?

**** Overall Opinion *****

It’s not bad, just wish there was more variety especially for vegetarians and it’s a shame that because lunch time customers pay less are restricted on choice.

Staff are smartly dressed but don’t really interact with customers.

The general layout is clean but the toilets are pretty gross.

The music playing whilst eating is very oriental and after a while too repetitive, maybe they should consider a mixture of cultures as they state they cater for all.

****HOW TO BOOK ****

Well we didn’t, we just turned up and it was empty. The place is huge but if you want to book then on the website is a booking process just to guarantee your table.

****PRICES *****

For two people at lunchtime were £24, drinks were extra and water was warm …..
The website is vague and not allowing me to see prices for the evening, the only access I get is how to book a table online. If I recall then you are looking at £15 a head from 5pm onwards. The place shuts at 3.

Drinks are also not showing online but two cokes cost us £5 and these were just small glasses. The bar however from what I saw had a good selection.

******WOULD I RETURN?*****

Unlike the food factory which I adore, this place I very much doubt I will return.

The atmosphere is not great, staff talk among themselves whilst looking at you and at 2.30 the manager comes round to make sure you know the place shuts at 3 pm and time to leave.

It served a purpose as we were both hungry but the salt overload here in the dishes is not healthy, unless it’s to make you feel thirsty and buy more drinks.

There are signs around for people with a food allergy and those wanting halal but otherwise its quite vague.

Oh and there are no knives for cutlery, just a spoon and fork on your table. Chopsticks are by the spring rolls but not sealed in an individual packet and have been used by many judging by the teeth marks on the plastic. No water bowls provided for your fingers either.

Thanks for reading