exup35 5

exup35

Member since:05.01.2007

"Ooo oooh Daytona . ." .. Chris Rea 1991

04.03.2009

Advantages:
looks, handling, street cred, british made, traffic busting, grin factor, engine noise

Disadvantages:
all the time you spend cleaning it

Performance

Power: 138 ps

Demonstrator courtesy of Cobb & Jagger, Shipley

Have bike will travel
--------------------------

As my Daytona 995 was due in for some work and a pair of tyres, I took the chance to have a go on the Daytona 675.

The sales assistant led me out to a glossy black machine, stuck the keys in the ignition and fired it up, letting the triple burble away as he pointed out a few controls and instrument display.

“It's been spitting a bit with rain, and the bikes got relatively fresh tyres on so be careful with it, if the fuel light comes on, then you have about 25 miles before you run out, but have fun.” Saying that he left me to kit myself up and walked away back into the showroom.

Away we go
----------------

The saddle seems higher than my 955 but narrower, in fact out of all the sports bikes I’ve owned, except perhaps a Yamaha TZR125 this probably one of the slimmest I can remember sitting on. Saying that though, the narrow saddle isn’t uncomfortable, and is easier to reach the ground then on my 955.

The bars aren’t that wide apart either and I feel like I’m sat right over my hands as I lean forward to grasp the throttle. I blip it a couple of times to get a feel for the engine note, then snuck it into first and ease the clutch out. The drive starts to bite in and the Daytona eases itself towards the road.

Once onto the road I ease on the power and change up into 2nd, there seems a large amount of movement to change gears, almost to the point if it was any further I may have struggled. As it is now I might start having the problem of missing gears if I am working the box hard. Second for now is enough though as I find myself in heavy traffic, crawl up to a roundabout and head towards the motorway.

Nothing to worry about in the way of handling, but I am still conscious of being so close to the bars and screen, The bike is light though, and doesn’t at first feel substantial to hold a good line over bumps and around bends.

As I ride through the ring road to the motorway, traffic is heavy, but not too slow moving, and the Triumph seems happy to trundle along at 30’s and 40’s – no snatching of the chain as the power rolls on and off, no flat spot jerkiness as the fuel injection system keeps everything running silky smooth.

There is still that growling burble accompanied by a whine from the gearbox blending to form an addictive harmony as you open and close the throttle.

Soon the motorway is upon us and a rare, clear stretch allows me to open up the Daytona, building up to motorway speeds rapidly. 1st and 2nd gear feel too short, especially having moved off the larger 995 triple to its smaller brother.

Getting used to using more of the rev range is a must, and takes me back to owning an even higher revving Yamaha FZR400RR.

The digital display is past 60 in less than 5 seconds, and I’m not even caning the bike that hard. As the wind starts to buffet my shoulders I tuck down to the screen and feel the fuel tank easing my forearms into place, my elbows coming to rest on my knees, a tiny little screen but it does keep quite a bit of wind off me, but only if I tuck myself tight into the machine.

The wind buffets the bike from the side as I round a sweeping bend onto the M62, but, thankfully the Daytona still feels planted, holding a nice predictable line as I merge from one lane to the next, crossing cats eyes and white lines with no concern or skipping to one side.

Even though wind noise is high, you can still hear the triple howling under you, constantly reminding you of what you are riding, and announcing it to those that you are near on the road.

Off at the next exit and onto the brakes for the roundabout, the lever feels firm, and braking is positive, but a bit of a stretch for the lever for me, there is a span adjuster though and when I will adjust it to suit me when I next stop. I’ve gotten used to the gear space though as I realise I’m not thinking about that gap anymore – didn’t take long for that.

What do you think ?
------------------------

I stop off at a sandwich shop in Brighouse, and while I get my sandwich I ask Sharon, the assistant her opinion on the machine stood outside as it frowns back at us both through the window.

“I love the colour, plain black, that’s really nice. Me Dad and brothers had bikes so I grew up with them. I think the saddle on the back is a bit high though, but I can’t tell without sitting on it.”

“Have a sit on it then”

“Ooo no I’m working ta, but it is nice though”

A passer-by commented on the Triumph badge on the tank: “that’s nice to see mate”.

But sadly the 675 has to go back to the dealer, so I put a few quids worth of fuel in and head back to Shipley the way I came, I’m feeling more comfortable with the bikes dimensions now, and start to think about other aspects of riding.
The short stretch to the bars means that there is less weight pushed on to the wrists, more noticeable at low speeds when you don’t have that headwind to lift you up.

Coming off the motorway at Bradford end this time, I trickle through the queue of cars halted at a red light, coming to a halt between the two lead cars and check the lights to the side and front.

I notice the passenger in the Audi to my right is resting his chin on his arm, looking up and down the 675, I check the left and a young woman in a Clio is doing the same, she catches my eye, wiggles her eyebrows and turns her head forwards again.
The lights change, the communion is gone, the 675 pulls easily ahead of the cars and by the time they have even moved a few feet, the Triumph is in 2nd gear, banking round the tight 180 degree bend and onto the Bradford ring road.

Before I finally drop the bike back at the dealer I pull into the local fire station, as I work in the ambulance service, sometime we get to know some of the fire fighters. So it’s an opportunity for a few more opinions on the bike.

Two crew members are loading gear back onto an appliance and give the Daytona a critical view.

“Oh yeah, that’s nice, that black paint job does it for me, no fancy decals or psychedelic paint job, just that deep understated black. That suits it really well. Kinda reminds me of an MV Augusta with that exhaust styling at the back” one remarks wiggling his fingers on the triple tail pipes exiting under the rear of the pillion seat.

“When I was really into bikes a few years back, you wouldn’t have thought anyone could beat the Honda CBR600, ever! But this looks like it can take it on? Hmm? It won the British Supersport championship last year? Well that’s good to hear”

I ask if the CBR600 (or even the YamahaR6) was stood next to it and it was 50 / 50 split over which one to choose.

“This one, it’s the name. Yeah it’s that name on the tank, I think in the last few years they’ve really started to build that name up again in the eyes of the public. The only thing is, the style of the bike is a bit too focused for me, but then again so is the CBR; I’m not the sports bike type of rider so I think I would have to look what else they do.”
His colleague, who hasn’t said too much yet joins in,
“I don’t ride bikes, so I can’t really say much, except it looks nice”
I know what he means.

Back to reallity
-------------------

I return the Daytona to the shop and hand the keys back to the salesman.

For some reason I always feel like Mr Ben handing the clothes back to the shop keeper when I have a demonstration ride.
But I would always have the photo to remember my day by. (Do bee dee doo bee dooooo dee dee dee do bee doo bee doooo- hum along now kiddies).

I was aiming for the end of summer for my next bike, best start saving I think as I have just found it.

Pictures of Triumph Daytona 675
Triumph Daytona 675 675a - Daytona 675
Daytona 675

SweetTooth93 04.03.2009 10:43

Fab ...you really sound passionate about this subject xx

Walter_Kovacs 04.03.2009 04:58

Great review

tractor-boy 04.03.2009 02:35

I'm not a bike man, but your enthusiasm for this shines through and is infectious