Review of "Daz Powder"

published 04/09/2017 | jo-1976
Member since : 02/07/2009
All pictures used are my own. Thanks for all rates
Pro Cheaper than other brands, pleasant scent, cleans well
Cons Scent is very strong
Do you need to use much for each clean?
Irritable to skin?
Longlasting effects?

"Dazzled by Daz"

Daz Powder

Daz Powder

I'm a member of the product testing website, supersavvyme, but never seem to qualify for any of their product campaigns. It was a pleasant surprise to receive an email saying that I'd been chosen to take part in a campaign for Daz washing powder, giving me the opportunity to try this out and share my opinions with others online and in person. As part of this offer I received a full sized box to try out as well as several smaller sample boxes to use or share with others. I was also sent a number of money off vouchers to share or use for future purchases.

The Product

This is Daz biological washing powder which is designed for both whites and colours. Produced under the multinational Proctor and Gamble brand this product has been on supermarket shelves for years. This is loose powder which comes practically packaged in a sturdy cardboard box which varies in size according to the number of (average) washes it can provide. The smaller sized boxes have a fold out section at the side to gain access to the powder but I find that pouring the powder out can still be a messy affair and the box cannot be securely closed between uses so spills are possible.

The amount of washing powder needed needs to be measured out for each wash and will vary according to the size of the load, dirtiness and the hardness of the water in the local area as all of these factors will affect the performance of the washing machine and the powder used. There is no measuring scoop provided although a contact telephone number is printed on the packaging and Daz will post a scoop out free of charge if needed.

Cleaning Performance

I have used this for a range of different washes and settings including whites only, mixed washes, bedding and a few items on a very low temperature quick wash. Even on the very coolest and quickest washes I found the powder dissolved completely and didn't leave any residue clogging up the powder drawer.

The laundry itself emerged clean and fresh. My boys, particularly my oldest son, tend to be outdoors in all weathers and return with their clothes caked in dirt and mud. This Daz powder tackled the dirt easily even on a fourth degree wash with lots of other items and filthy jeans came out clean and stain free. I've used non biological washing powder for many years and always needed to add an additional stain remover to most washes but I find biological powders like this to be much more effective at washing really dirty items and tackling stains. Results in a white wash were equally impressive with my towels and white undies coming out of the machine looking bright and refreshed. I was happy with the performance of Daz across all different fabrics and wash cycles regardless of temperature or length so this seems a pretty versatile washing powder.

Scent

I find many of the major biological washing powder brands to be very heavily perfumed. Whilst the scent of this Daz powder is very fresh and pleasant I do find that it is a little too overpowering for my own personal taste as I prefer something a little more subtle. I would describe the fragrance as a rather generic floral aroma which is pleasant enough when my washing first comes out of the machine but doesn't fade for a significant amount of time and I just find it a little too cloying and overpowering. This is all down to personal taste and many households would view a strong long lasting scent as a significant advantage to the product. I like the scent and its longevity on bedding as it keeps my pillows and quilt smelling fresh and clean for longer between washes but I prefer the scent of my own clothing to be more delicate.
Price and Availability

Dax is a brand leading washing powder and it is stocked by most of the major supermarkets in a range of sizes to suit the needs of all families. Prices fluctuate quite widely according to the size of the box and the supermarket concerned, depending on what offers are available in individual stores. It is well worth shopping around for this particular product as the price varies so much and it can cost less in some instances to buy a larger sized box than a smaller box.

Prices below are taken from mysupermarket.co.uk in September 2017:
  • 10 wash box - best price £2 (Tesco)
  • 22 wash box - best price £3 (Asda)
  • 40 wash box - best price £4 (Tesco)
  • 65 wash box - best price £7 (Tesco)
  • 80 wash box - best price £8 (Morrison's)
Overall Recommendation
This is a high quality biological washing powder which tackled my laundry without issue across a range of fabrics, temperatures and wash cycles. Whilst the fragrance is pleasant enough I do find it slightly too strong for my own personal tastes and it is for that reason alone that I have not been converted to purchasing Daz powder on a regular basis. For those who prefer a strongly scented basket of clean laundry this would be a great choice with an economical purchase price.

• Pointress published 04/10/2017