DeLonghi Rotating Basket Fryer

DeLonghi Rotating Basket Fryer

Review of "DeLonghi Rotating Basket Fryer"

published 08/05/2011 | JeffFromPoole
Member since : 21/12/2005
Satisfactory
Pro Makes fairly good chips
Cons Difficult to clean, loses temperature, poor filtering
Performance
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"good fryer let down by dodgy basket and filters"

Being a bit of a purist I don't like oven chips, they taste dry and chemically to me. I also worry about using a conventional chip pan on the gas ring as there is always the risk of fire and accidents. Hence we have had electric fryers in out kitchen.

We had a conventional deep fat fryer that was the simple type and decided, when it got too sticky and smelly, that we would try one of the ones that filtered the fumes and used less oil.

Our local store had this Delonghi fryer and we bought it.

The basket rotates and slopes, so that the food does not simply sit in the oil, the idea being that some of the cooking takes place out of the oil, the heat stays in the oil and you use half the amount of oil.
We've had it for a while so how has it worked out?

Firstly, the close fitting lid, that has a filter in it to keep the chippy smells in, close tight and helps to retain heat, thus saving electricity.

It works well to keep the heat in but the steam and the chippy smells still get out so I would class this as a partial success.

The basket is designed to lower into the oil and rotate. when it is lowered the centre spindle in the base of the machine locates in the slot in the bottom of the basket and makes it turn. The locking lever on the outside is also the handle of the basket. When it is raised to the horizontal position it latches and a pin locates in the side of the basket's rim, so that the food can be tipped out.
I found this to be a bit of a pain. When I take the basket out to shake the oil off the locking pin comes adrift and the basket becomes floppy and unmanageable.

Cleaning the pan is quite tricky. No matter how carefully you use it, there will always be areas that get sticky oil residue on them and this is very hard to clean off. Unlike the more expensive fryers this one isn't great to empty. you have to unlatch the lid take out the basket then pick up the whole body of the fryer and tip the oil out over the side.
You can spend a lot of time trying to scrub out the bowl of the fryer, always remembering not to get water in the base, but every time I have done this I have been disappointed with the results.

Having got that out of the way, how is it for cooking chips?
Well not too bad, provided the basket is fairly loosely filled and you use decent potatoes. It needs to be somewhat higher powered and better insulated as adding the food knocks the temperature right down and you have to be careful not to get greasy chips.

In all, I probably wouldn't recommend this fryer. We will keep it until it breaks down but I wouldn't bother trying to mend it if it went wrong. Maybe I should give up chips but I like them.

• brereton66 published 10/05/2011
    I could just go for some chips now.
  • Gooseydyoo published 09/05/2011
    Unusual for DeLonghi to get it wrong. Well reviewed.
  • greenierexyboy published 09/05/2011
    I work for a spud company so please don't give up chips...

Product Information : DeLonghi Rotating Basket Fryer

The DeLonghi Rotating Basket Fryer will revolutionise the way you prepare fried foods, from fish and chips to Japanesetempura, thanks to its special rotating basket design.Because of the orbital rotating action of the basket, you only need half as much oil as you would with other models of a similar capacity. The cooler touch body keeps hands and other appliances safe from scorching, while the double filters eliminate much of the odour and oil vapour associated with frying food. An automatic indicator will let you know when it's time to replace the filter and a light comes on when the machine has reached the temperature selected via the adjustable thermostat.The external control basket allows you to raise or lower the contents with the lid closed for additional safety. The lid is removable and dishwasher-safe for extra convenience.The DeLonghi Rotating Basket Fryer carries a 1-year manufacturer's guarantee.

Manufacturer: DeLonghi