Delfinware Stainless Steel 3 Tier Dish Plate Drainer

Delfinware Stainless Steel 3 Tier Dish Plate Drainer

Review of "Delfinware Stainless Steel 3 Tier Dish Plate Drainer"

published 21/08/2011 | chrisandmark_is_here
Member since : 03/07/2011
Eugh, Ciao is so slow and horribly cluttered with all those ads - does a site like this REALLY need a full page banner ad for bottled water?! Crazy...
Pro Looks great, clears my draining board
Cons Sharp knives get stuck in the holes in the cutlery drainer
Performance
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"A drainer for the larger family"

Having a large family is great, but some things take far more organising when you have four children than they did when you just had two. Washing is the biggie, since the day baby number three was born I don't think I've had an empty laundry basket - now baby number four is here I'm lucky if the basket is just full and there isn't a similar sized pile of dirty washing next to it on the floor. But I digress, this isn't a review about laundry; this three tier drainer does help solve another big problem though, which is how in gods name am I supposed to fit the collective crocks and cutlery of six people on such a tiny space?

It's a great idea, very similar obviously to the two tier drainers available in Ikea and Next but the impressive thing for me is the way Delfinware have added the extra tier but not compromised the stability. The shape has a good tapered effect so the drainer isn't likely to topple over, although obviously some care needs to be taken when you're stacking it to make sure you make it as safe as possible. What you can't see from the piccie is the four tiny rubber feet which are attached to the bottom of the drainer, this is a good safety feature as it prevents a fully laden drainer from sliding around on the slippery draining board.

The slots on the drainer are designed and located to steer you away from overloading it with the wrong sized items. For example, large dinner plates do not sit comfortably on the top shelf (although it is possible to squeeze them in) which is good news as it would make the product much less stable if you were to start loading large heavy items at the very top. It's good for side plates and dishes, although irritatingly the deeper round bowls that are popular at the moment (and that I hate as it encourages greediness!) won't fit anywhere on the drainer so they have to sit and clutter up the edge of the draining board while they're drying. The same is true for pans, casserole dishes and other bulky crocks - which isn't ideal when I've got every saucepan in the house out for whatever reason!

The shelves are shaped with a generous lip so short of an earthquake you're not likely to experience and slipping of your crocks, great news for me as my previous drainer relied on gravity a bit too much and I was always terrified that a rogue plate would spin right off the end! The bottom shelf is useful for placing your cups and glasses after cleaning, with the plastic drip tray beneath being very easy to slide out to empty and clean. A word of advice here, for gods sake clean the drip tray regularly as after a short space of time you'll find yourself with the smell of stagnant water - and I'm not a dirty bugger, I'm literally talking a couple of days worth of 'dripped' water here!

The built in cutlery drainer is a good idea, a bit strangely placed in my opinion as it's tucked right into the body of the actual drainer so the back section can be awkward to get to when it comes to removing the cutlery to be put away. It keeps everything pretty much in one place though, which is all you can really ask of it. There are small holes in the bottom of the cutlery drainer and I've noticed the points of sharp knives can get stuck sometimes, a good tug will remove them but make sure you do this when the drainer is empty as it's so lightweight that you might inadvertantly not realise your own strength and topple the whole thing onto the floor.

Keeping the drainer clean is a doddle, I usually pop the whole thing in the sink once a week or so and spray off any grime or dirt that has attached itself. It's chrome plated so I haven't had any issues with rust, but the frame does need a bit of a buff sometimes to get it looking sparkling clean again.

I paid £25 for this drainer (in TK Maxx of all places), which might sound expensive at first - but let me tell you that the RRP is around the £45 mark so I think I got a bit of a bargain there. Mine is the white accented one you can see above, but the same drainer is available with a black drip tray and cutlery drainer - I must admit I did love the black one but there was only one in the store at the time of my visit and the drip tray was damaged.

• Coloneljohn published 22/08/2011
    We used to have one of these, but don't use it now. John
  • kama0529 published 22/08/2011
    It looks much better than my plastic one.
  • arnoldhenryrufus published 22/08/2011