Delirium - Ellie Goulding

Review of "Delirium - Ellie Goulding"

published 09/11/2015 | sophie342
Member since : 27/06/2015
Pro Superb Production, Original, Upbeat & Happy, Consistent tracks
Cons Some Lyrics Lacking
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"She's back with the make or break 3rd album!"

INTRODUCTION

I bought this album because I have been a big fan of Ellie Goulding’s music since she came into the music scene. Lights and Halcyon were both great albums that went to number one, however, they were very similar in sound. This album has a very different sound compared to the two earlier releases, and I think that it’s good that the sound has been changed up a bit as otherwise the albums would start to become a little bit repetitive.

PRICE
I bought this album from Amazon for £9 which is a really good price considering it’s a standard edition that has a whopping 16 tracks!! There is also a deluxe version of this album which holds 22 tracks! The deluxe version would cost you £12.99 when bought from Amazon. I think the pricing of the album is very good, especially for the number of tracks you get on the album, on both editions.

AVAILABILITY

This album is available in wide range of places. Firstly, it can be bought in-store from HMV. Whilst HMV provide the standard and deluxe version of Delirium, they also provide their own special edition version called Delirium: Access All Areas. This Limited edition version of the album has lots of added extras with it and can only be bought in HMV. The Access All Areas edition of Delirium includes; Deluxe CD album, CD Booklet, Artist Laminate Pass & Lanyard, Lyric Sheet and finally, an exclusive code which provides access to a range of different exclusive add ons. Some of the exclusive ad ons include; Discounted merchandise, Social Content, Interviews etc.
As well as being available in store, Delirium is also available to buy online. There are many ways that Delirium can be bought online, these include; Through Amazon Music, iTunes, and Google Play.

LYRICS
It has to be said that the quality of lyrics on this album are definitely not on Halcyon or Lights standard. I feel like the lyrics on this album are good in some songs but lacking in others and this tends to be noticeable on the more repetitive songs on the album. However, on the songs that the lyrics are good, they are superb. I have always preferred artists that write their own lyrics as the songs always seem much more genuine.

PRODUCTION
The production on this album is so different compared to her previous albums but it really works well. I believe that a lot of the album has been co-produced by Ellie with Max Martin who is responsible for some of the biggest songs of 2015 e.g. ‘Blank Space’- Taylor Swift and ‘I Can’t Feel My Face’- The Weeknd. The production on this album is heavily pop influenced and therefore very different to the Lights album that featured more of a folkey tone.

THEME
This album is definitely a happy and upbeat album which is a nice changed as Ellie Goulding’s music is usually a good mix but overtaken by the more sad songs. So, to have an album like this which is really upbeat is a breath of fresh air.

TRACKLISTING

14. Lost And Found
15. Devotion
16. Scream It Out

TRACK ANALYSIS

Intro (Delirium)- This is a very unusual intro but it’s very effective in welcoming the album. The vocals in this are absolutely superb. The vocals are accompanied by a Synthesizer and violin. In fact, this intro sounds very much like something from a film. The intro gradually builds up into a small beat and then slows down again into the first actual track.

Aftertaste- After the Intro slows down the start of this song has a loud presence with a very loud drum beat. The chorus in the song is very simple lyric wise but the lyrics in the versus are very clever. Vocal wise, the vocals are very good are suit the heavy drum beat very well although Ellie’s voice is very soft. I also love the use of the guitar in this song.

Something In the Way You Move- This is another song that features a very heavy drum beat throughout, but I think it is really effective and contrasts well with Ellie’s voice with is actually very quiet. This is a very upbeat and happy song which features a synthesizer throughout which is a pretty common theme on an Ellie Goulding album. Lyric wise, it is ok, the lyrics could be a bit better as they are very simple.

Keep On Dancin’- I was very very surprised when I heard this song as it doesn’t sound like a typical Ellie Goulding song at all. I would say this song sounds very electronic and danced themed. One thing that I really like about this song is the vocals, this is because the vocals are very varied and Ellie’s vocal capabilities are really shown well. The chorus features a heavy drum beat and whistle throughout which is very strange and different to something I have ever heard in a song before, but it really works well and makes the song very catchy.

On My Mind- This track was released as the leading single for the album on the 17th September. A week or so before the album came out Ellie performed this on the X Factor, and it has to be said that it was a TERRIBLE performance. However, the song is actually very catchy this is helped by the catchy guitar that features throughout. The lyrics on this track are actually pretty good if you ignore the fact that she repeats the words “Why I Got You On My Mind” about a million times in 4 minutes.

Around U- This is possibly the most upbeat song on the album. The drum beat is very fast and the lyrics are very catchy. I think the best thing about this song is definitely the vocals. As well as this, I like how the song breakdowns a lot throughout and then builds up again because it keeps the song interesting.

Codes- This is my favourite song on the album. The thing that I like about this song is the pace, I like how fast the beat is. Also, the chorus rhymes really well making it a very catchy song. This accompanied by flawless production makes it my favourite on the album.

Holding On For Life- I actually didn’t like this song when I first heard it, I still don’t like the start of the song which features lots of chanting. However, it’s impossible to actually dislike this song because the vocals are outstanding. The chorus is the bit that lets the song down, it’s a bit too repetitive. However, the production on this song is very good.

Love Me Like You Do- Probably the most known song on the album after it went to number one in 70 countries and was number one in the UK for an impressive 4 weeks and still up in the top 10 of the most streamed tracks of 2015. This is still a really good song and I don’t think there is anything I can say that is bad about it, the lyrics are good but the vocals are even better.

Don’t Need Nobody- This is a very strange song production wise and I wouldn’t say that it’s one of Ellie’s strongest songs. The lyrics production is very samey and the lyrics are not really anything special. I would say this one of the weakest songs on the album and could be considered a filler.

Don’t Panic- I really love this song. The production is what really makes this song what it is, the synthesizer really works well and gives it a great tone throughout. As well as this, the lyrics are very good and although the chorus is repeated a few times it actually doesn’t get annoying and works well with what is going on in the background of the song.

We Can’t Move To This- This is a very danced themed song that you would expect to hear in a club on a night out, whether it suits this album or not, I’m not too sure.
Army- This song actually sounds more like Ellie’s old material. The style of writing and the use of the acoustic makes it feel very much like one of her old songs. The vocals particularly are very good on this song, accompanied by very simple but effective production which once again features a steady drum beat throughout.

Lost And Found- This is another song that sounds like one of her older songs. I really like the use of the acoustic guitar in this song. The lyrics are ok but nothing special. However, I feel the vocals make up for this.

Devotion- The vocals on this album are superb and sound really good along the acoustic guitar. However, I’m not sure whether the heavy dance theme works well with the vocals and the guitar, I think it spoils how good the vocals are a little bit which is a shame because the vocals on this song are possibly the best on the album.

Scream It Out- This is a good choice for the last song on the album because it sums up the album well. The beat is actually very fast which makes it sound like a dance song but when the song goes into the chorus it changes a lot and sounds like a typical Ellie Goulding song with a strong presence of a synthesizer which is featured alongside a piano.

OVERALL
Overall, this is a very good album. Although it is very different from what Ellie Goulding normally releases, I think it really works well and it is definitely a nice change from the sad, slow songs which her albums are usually scattered with.

• LiveMusicLoverLyn published 15/07/2017
    Nicely done
  • Dentolux published 19/11/2015
    vh
  • StewwyB published 19/11/2015
    well reviewed

offers "Delirium - Ellie Goulding"