Review of "Dell SE2416H"

published 14/11/2017 | danielclark691
Member since : 27/02/2011
Due to time constraints, I am unlikely to be able to find the time to rate members that have received 3 times as many rates as they have given, apologies.
Pro Affordable, easy to adjust, high quality image, good connectivity, reliable.
Cons Ensure you actually need a 24 inch screen!
Picture quality
Image Size in relation to tube size
Colour sensitivity
Design

"Dell SE2416H 24 inch monitor"

First impressions

When you are looking to buy new electrical items you might just be drawn to what something looks like and the brand that is behind it. I think we all do this to some extent, even unknowingly. The monitor I am reviewing here was a recent purchase, but with the Dell brand attached we knew we would be in safe hands. We have owned a number of Dell items, including other monitors, laptops and desktop computers, along with various accessories. It would be fair to say that this is a brand we trust, and I wouldn’t discourage anyone from sticking to brands that they have built up trust in.

It is worth mentioning that this is a 24 inch monitor. To be precise, this screen measures 23.8 inches, and so it is a fairly substantial piece of kit. The box wasn’t all that heavy when it was delivered to our door, but it was larger than we had expected. We thought that buying a smaller or same sized screen would be a step backwards or like standing still, but buying a bigger monitor each time you replace your current model is not the way to go!

This is a good looking computer monitor, and the instant attraction for me was the adjustability of it. You can adjust the monitor to suit your seated position. I sit higher in my chair than others in the household, so I can raise the position of the monitor by hand, nudging it gently upwards. The technology behind it is simple but very effective, and you must remember that most monitors are fixed to their stand and just have the tilt adjustment.

My experience

There is no denying that this is a good looking monitor. The pictures of the product online do not do it justice, and it was only when I opened the box that I realised how good this monitor looks on my work station. I would say that with the stand and depth of the monitor we are looking at around 7 inches, and this is how much depth it takes up on your desk. This isn’t so much, especially considering it is a 24 inch monitor, and the base is very sturdy and we have not feared knocking the monitor over.

Keeping with the subject of looks this is a pretty narrow monitor. This all adds to the looks, but we do have some practical uses of this design. Firstly is obviously space, and the monitor doesn’t take up a great deal of this. On a desk with space at a premium this is an advantage, and the design also accommodates the neat adjustment function. We can adjust the monitor to suit our height, and this is something you don’t realise you need until you have it!

To the front of the monitor we have 4 small buttons and a power button. These are for screen adjustments, with a menu popping up to allow us to adjust contrast, brightness and change the format of the image if we require. This is a widescreen monitor and is in the 16:9 format as standard. We have played about with the various options, but we decided to stick to the 16:9 format as this works so well. The buttons are located to the front right of the screen, but to the side of the monitor on the left side we have a couple of discreetly positioned USB ports. These come in handy, especially if you have a tower PC and access to this is limited. Still, an additional couple of USB ports are always welcome.

To the rear of the monitor we have HDMI and VGA connectivity, along with the power port. The monitor comes with a power cable. This is a standard item and is not worth replacing for a ‘better’ quality one. On the other hand, the monitor also comes with a VGA cable, but we opted for a HDMI connection to our computer from the monitor, and this is worth spending a little extra for in my opinion. The technology is more modern, and we have always found these cables to be more reliable.

The monitor comes with a quick setup guide, but to be honest it is very much a case of plugging 2 cables in and you are ready to go! This is the case with each monitor we have ever owned, and other than minor contrast adjustments we have found that monitors are almost foolproof!

The quality of the image on the screen is very clear, and with an optimal resolution of 1920 x 1080 this is a high quality screen, but this is a fairly standard quality these days on this type of item. The screen is antiglare with a hard coating on it. This is presumably to protect the screen, and we are reassured that with the Dell brand we are buying a product that will last for years to come.

Price and availability

This monitor is available for between £125 and £150 online from a wide range of electrical retailers. I think this is fairly competitive when compared to other brands of this size monitor. This is just one model from the Dell range, and they have so many different options, even if you are very specifically looking for just a particular size.

Final thoughts

Buying a new monitor for your Home PC or work computer can be very difficult. I would say that in this case we chose a monitor that is a little bit on the large size, and in the future we will think again about the statement “bigger is better”. These large monitors seem a good idea at the time, but the same can be said for your television, where you can buy a large screen, but it can be too large for your needs.

Overall the performance cannot be knocked, and neither can the image quality nor features. Connectivity and functionality were high on the list, and the Dell SE2416H has lived up to our expectations. This is definitely a very capable monitor, and for its modest price it should definitely be taken into consideration if you are looking for a 24inch computer monitor. The question is, do you need such a large screen?

• Soho_Black published 20/11/2017
    Great review
  • 2mennycds published 19/11/2017
    No-nonsense, user friendly review!
  • justarube published 16/11/2017