Delonghi CTO4003

Delonghi CTO4003

Review of "Delonghi CTO4003"

published 31/03/2012 | Gingerkitty
Member since : 24/03/2012
Pro Fashionable, looks great on your kitchen worktop
Cons Bit pricey for what it is
Performance
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"Can toasters be sexy? Yes I believe they can......"

My fiancé and I bought this toaster when we moved into our new house. In all honesty we weren't really looking for a toaster, but we had some loyalty points for Tesco which we quadrupled during an event they were holding. This meant we had about £120 to spend in store, which technically was at no cost to ourselves. We looked round the small appliances section and noticed this toaster and the matching kettle. They looked so retro but also modern we just fell in love with them straight away. When I saw the price, I deliberated for a little while, because if I'd been paying for it with my own money there is no way I would fork out £60 for a toaster! But as it was with our vouchers we decided to treat ourselves and get something really classy that would provide the finishing touch to our kitchen. So we bought the toaster and the kettle to match (Ironically, we still haven't actually completed the kitchen, so it looks a bit out of place at the moment!) The ones we chose are in a pearly cream colour, but they are available in a few different colours.

The toaster is the first 4-slice toaster I've owned, and fulfils our needs in the way a 2-slice toaster cannot. We had previously been using a 2-slice toaster, which is fine if you're having toast for breakfast because it just means you have to stagger who eats first. If you're cooking something such as scrambled egg, however, and need four slices of toast all to be warm at the same time, you really do need a 4-slice toaster for this purpose.

The functions on this toaster are fairly standard, with a Bagel function (never used this), Defrost function, Reheat function (not used this either) and a Cancel function. You have the option between a scale of 1 and 6 of how brown you would like your toast to turn out, and these controls are set so that you can have separate settings for the left hand 2 slices and the right hand 2 slices. This is particularly useful for my fiancé and I because I like my toast well done and he prefers his lightly toasted. We have set the functions as we like them, and as there's only us in the house they never get altered, so we just stick to the same side of the toaster each time.

There is a crumb tray in this toaster which just pulls out and slots back in again, so you can tap it against the bin to get the crumbs out. The toaster can be a bit violent in "popping" the toast up sometimes, and there have been a few occasions we've had toast flying onto the floor because the toaster is positioned on the end of our worktop! I would recommend placing it somewhere where there is worktop space either side, just in case this happens and you end up with toast on the floor.

This toaster is a lovely looking product, and I'm glad we bought it as a statement for our kitchen. I think it's quite expensive for what it is though, and if we'd been paying full price I probably would have gone for something cheaper and less fashionable. It will be interesting to see how long the toaster lasts as it's obviously considered to be higher quality than the cheaper brands in order to justify the price.

(This review was originally posted on Dooyoo, July 2011)

• Nar2 published 01/04/2012
    Good review here!
  • mozzie76 published 31/03/2012
    I might have to check this out