missydoc 5

missydoc

Member since:11.08.2007

De'Longhi in the house

16.12.2008

Advantages:
auto stop and humidistat function

Disadvantages:
instructions could have been more in depth

Performance

Noise

User's ManualFair

MaintenanceVery easy

SafetyVery safe

How much did you pay?£195

Special features?Too many to mention

24 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. TheHairyGodmother
  2. supercityfan
  3. dickyj

We have been having ongoing problems at our flat for the last few months and have found mould growth to be a serious problem.
We were advised to put in a dehumidifier to hopefully be a solution to the dampness in the flat and stop mould from growing any further so I researched into dehumidifiers (honestly, I had no idea what they were or what they did), and finally narrowed it down to a few models from the Argos catalogue.

De'Longhi was our first choice with Ebac and Prem I Air to follow. I researched into all the models, prices, manufacturers' websites and read soooo many reviews. I was amazed at how much information there was to learn and understand about dehumidifiers and how they can benefit you.

Why do we get mould?
It simply starts with condensation. We can be adding approximately 20pints of moisture into the air by our daily routine. This could be from cooking, bathing, washing and even breathing. Condensation occurs when moisture cannot escape so it will eventually build up and find the cold spots in your house ie a window, it will condense and turn into water. (Information found on De'Longhi website).
The first stage of damp is condensation...which will eventually turn into mould.

What does a dehumidifier do?
A dehumidifier simply draws in the excess moisture in the air, passes over a cold evaporator and forms it into droplets. The droplets get collected into a tank which requires to be emptied frequently. It also passes through a filter which removes dust particles helping to improve the atmosphere. The dehumidified air is then passed through the condenser before passed out into the atmosphere. The air that passes out into the room is dried, warm, filtered air which will help with those with allergy and asthma problems. The water collected in the tank for the DEC180E model is demineralised water which can be used for steam irons....very handy to know.

Model Specifications:
Compact handle for easy lifting/moving
4litre tank
Washable air filter
Dimensions 57 x 36 x 30cm (h x w x d)
Humidistat control
Weight 15kg

One of the main reasons I chose this model is the Humidistat control. This is a function that will detect any excess moisture in the air and automatically switch itself on to do its job. Overall, when the unit is on all the time, it will only cost a few pence per hour. When it is on Humidistat function, it will be about 1pence per hour. I found the De'Longhi models to be more cost efficient than Ebac.

My husband and I took the model out of the box and looked at all the bits on our living room floor. The hardest part was with me sitting there reading the instructions whilst my husband attempted to fit the wheels....hahahaha....we still didn't work it out and that is where the instructions lacked.
The other area the instructions lacked was how much relative humidity to set it on. It may be very easy for some people to understand this but for me who has no idea how these things work, I was puzzled.
Apart from that, it was very easy to simply plug the model in, find a decent spot in the flat and let it do its deed.

So, 3days later and countless times of emptying the tank (I was amazed at how much excess moisture has been in our flat), we haven't looked back. The atmosphere in the flat seems so much cleaner, the damp smell has reduced and so far no sign of any mould.
It is still early days yet but I think this has been the answer to our problems. I will keep you updated!

The DEC180E was one the expensive models but my husband and I would definitely agree that it is money worth spent, especially with the humidistat function and the auto stop when the tank is full, which helps whilst we are at work.

I found De'Longhi's website to be the most useful in finding out about dehumidifiers, why we need them, what they do, the benefits and product specifications.
Pictures of Delonghi DEC 180 E
Delonghi DEC 180 E DEC180E
White model

sghawken 10.01.2009 12:04

Sad that in this day and age we actually need these

redeyes22 17.12.2008 00:52

great review aggy

mattydalton 16.12.2008 22:08

Sounds good but not sure I need one.