Traditional - without Integrated Coffee Grinder - Max volume:10 cups

Review of "Delonghi ECOV311 Icona Vintage"

published 06/10/2017 | Candyperfumegirl
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"For a perfect espresso"

Delonghi ECOV311 Icona Vintage

My partner and I both love coffee. During the weekday mornings it's always been good ol' instant simply due to time restrains, but of a weekend we would get out our cafetiere and make up a nice jug using freshly ground coffee. Recently, a Costa opened nearby and we've gotten into the habit of picking up a couple 'to go' whenever passing and this new addiction was starting to get a little expensive! We'd been discussing purchasing a coffee maker for a good few months and then one Friday my partner just randomly came home with this little beauty - the Delonghi Icona Vintage Espresso maker he paid £165.99 for it in Argos.
Specifications & Features

• Coffee options: Espresso, cappuccino and latte.
  • Pod coffee option (ESE)

Item weight: 4.1 Kg
  • Water level indicator
  • Built in tamper
  • 15 bar pump pressure
What does it look like?
The Delonghi Icona does indeed have a bit of a vintage look to it, which is odd considering espresso makers are relatively new appliances - at least for use in the home. I didn't personally choose this product but I think my partner made a good choice as I really like the look and design of it, with its glossy cream finish accentuated by the stainless steel trimmings. It has a nice curved appearance, with no sharp corners which gives it a sleek tidy look. To me, it looks like a tiny version of the ones you would find in Costa and it looks cool in our kitchen.
Set up and Instructions

There was no real set up required with this one, its pretty much a plug in and go appliance. However - as with similar appliances - it is advisable to run the product through once or twice before the first use to ensure everything is clean.

Overall the appliance is fairly straight forward and easy to use, but its certainly worth while reading through the instructions and familiarising yourself with the appliance.

At the back there is the water tank and this is clear so the water can clearly be seen inside, this makes checking that the unit is full and ready to go quick and easy but there is also a water measurement marker as well. Filling up the tank is easy, it can be slid out of place through the top and then can be filled via your tap. Even at full capacity it is not very heavy and I do not find it cumbersome in any way.

On the front we have three buttons which work to operate the appliance and indication lights to show what stage the process is at. The first button heats the water, once this stage is complete the second light will illuminate which means that the water has reached the correct temperature. The ground coffee needs to be placed in the filter area and twisted back into place. Press the second button and the coffee will begin to peculate, this needs to be manually stopped once you have received the required amount. If you are making a cappuccino, a tin jug containing a little milk should then be placed under the steam arm. The third button can then be pressed and the nozzle on top of the maker can be twisted to create the frothy milk, this can then be poured on top of the prepared coffee.
My experience

We've only owned this product for a few months, but it has gotten a lot of use over that time. I was a little worried that it would be one of those appliances that would be used constantly for the first few weeks and then left in a cupboard to gather dust but it seems that this is not the case here, no doubt because it makes the most amazing cups of coffee. I did wonder if we actually needed an espresso maker, but now that I have one in my life I can honestly say that yes we did need one and where had it been all my life!

I find using the appliance to be a doddle, at first I was a little slow but now I go like the clappers and can have the thing filled and percolating within seconds. I actually enjoy the whole process, especially filling the filter with the ground coffee and smoothing it out using the attached tamper, just like a real Barista. It really is so easy to use. The smell produced is utterly amazing and the whole downstairs of my house smells of freshly brewed coffee for ages after use.

We had ummed and ahed over what brand of coffee maker to purchase with the Tassimo and Nespresso being up there, but our main bug with these big boys was that we would have to purchase the specific pods to go with them. This could prove to be costly, plus it meant sticking with the same brand and - to some extent - the same 'flavours'. What swayed my partner when he chose this one was the fact that the filter could be packed with any ground coffee or with ESE pods, so this gave us a bit more choice. In reality, we are yet to have bough the specific pods for this machine as we have been quite happy just using the freshly ground coffee so easily purchased in the supermarkets. We particularly like Lavazza and Tescos Extra Special ground coffee. The machine comes with a little dosing device to scoop the coffee up with to ensure the correct amount is used, but of course you can increase or lessen the amount as required.

The machine can make either one or two cups and there are two removable filters to accommodate this, obviously with one being bigger than the other. When making one cup the cup should be placed directly under both dispensers and when making two the space can be shared. However, I have found that one side seems to be more generous than the other, which is a little annoying and I would certainly have preferred more uniformity. We have purchased espresso cups specifically for our machine and they fit like a dream, of course your usual cups and mugs will be far too big to fit underneath so its worth bearing in mind that there will be additional costs should you not already own espresso ones.

We tend to just make espressos or I will make an Americano by doing a double espresso and then topping up with hot water. We have made cappuccinos too and have used the frother to produce frothy milk to pour on top, my partner uses regular cows milk and I use almond milk - both work well and taste delicious. We add a sprinkling of coco powder and a dash of rum if we're feeling naughty.

Are there any negatives?

Well apart from the dispenser dispensing different amounts when using two cups, there is one other negative with this product and that is the noise, its really loud during percolation. In fact, it is so loud that my partner does not use it in the morning as he is worried it will wake the rest of the house up. It makes an awful whirring noise at the start of peculation which dies down a little when it all gets going, but it really is quite annoying.
Maintenance & Cleaning

All the removable components are dishwasher safe, we have a dishwasher but I've never bothered doing this as I find a rinse or wipe over works well enough. We live in a soft water area, so we don't have to worry about limescale so much.

The drip guard at the bottom can be fully removed which is handy, I tend to empty it out at the end of the day give it a rinse before drying it and putting it back. Jobs a goodun.

The main part of the appliance is still looking good and I just wipe it over every now and then with a cloth to keep it looking its best.

Matching items

Delonghi Icona Vintage kettle RRP £54.99

Delonghi Icona Vintage 4 slice toaster RRP £54.50

Final Thoughts

If you love espressos, cappuccinos and lattes then I would certainly say this product was worth investing in. I'm not a big fan of instant coffee but sometimes its a lifesaver, especially with time constraints, but should you crave the real taste you can't go wrong here as this machine produces the most amazing coffee. Sure, Its an expensive machine but we like to think its actually paying for itself as we've stopped those Costa runs.

• mumsymary published 11/10/2017
    Super review
  • euphie published 09/10/2017
    e :o)
  • Secre published 09/10/2017
    E!

offers "Delonghi ECOV311 Icona Vintage"