Delonghi KG79

Delonghi KG79

Coffee Grinders - Plastic

Review of "Delonghi KG79"

published 15/09/2011 | mpsamuels
Member since : 08/07/2007
Pro Easy to use. Relatively inexpensive.Far better than using pre-ground coffee
Cons Not the greatest grinder on the market but as good as you expect for the price
Performance
User's Manual
Cleaning & Maintenance

"A great accompaniment to any coffee machine"

Another coffee purchase I was unsure about at first, again due to reading mixed reviews. Some seemed to love this little contraption while others hated it for varying reasons.

Thankfully, despite being initially a little put off by the price I fall into the first category and love my coffee grinder.

As admitted in my espresso machine review, I'm no coffee expert but for me, this makes my sunday morning espressos even better than using pre-ground supermarket coffee, increases the fresh coffee smell and produces a far better tasting drink.

It seems widely accepted that coffee grinders which use blades rather than a burr mechanism add a burnt taste to the coffee and thankfully this machine falls into the latter group of grinding methods.

The machine is straight forward to use with a hopper on top where the whole beans enter, two dials to set the amount of coffee required and how fine/course the grind should be, an on button to set the grinder away with a small plastic container that catches the finished product.

Some have commented that they find the grind of the coffee to be far too uneven from this machine but, although I think I've noticed what they mean on occasions it has never spoilt my enjoyment of the final drink. Although the fine/course setting has 5 (if my memory serves correctly) different levels I find myself only ever using the most extreme of either setting depending on whether I require espresso or filtered coffee. I've found both of these setting to produce a result I'm satisfied with.

Although I'm sure you could spend far more cash on a machine that produces a more even grind, can grind a finer grain and has a better number of settings between its finest and most coarse level for me, this is the perfect entry level coffee grinder that is miles ahead of using pre-ground coffee while not putting too big a whole in your wallet

• mpsamuels published 15/09/2011
    The GVX2 seems to be in about the same price range as this machine so I'd not consider swapping it either if I were you.
  • pgn0 published 15/09/2011
    My Krups GVX2 will do me for the time being - and your third paragraph summarises almost perfectly the mood that grinding your own coffee beans helps to create... it's all in the anticipation!