Viborg 5

Viborg

About me: Thanks to Bollinger28, I find I can add photos when I use Chrome :)

Member since:30.12.2011

Dermaguard Skin Protector - My Handy Little Hero!

27.04.2012

Advantages:
A valuable all - round skin protector with many applications

Disadvantages:
The lid may break off .

How does it affect your skin?

Does it smell good?

How easily is it absorbed?

Why did you buy it?

52 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. danielclark691
  2. K2705
  3. SirJoseph

The Problem
My hands tend to get very dry and I am not good at moisturising them as regularly as I should. This can be problematic because I love being out in the garden and many garden jobs are potentially a)very dirty and b) likely to dry my hands even more. Add to that the fact that I find it difficult to work with gloves on (although I do use them for some jobs) and the amount of work that needs to be done in colder weather, and thereís a bit of a problem. Itís not unusual for me to end up with sore fingers, even with small cracks in them, and thatís painful!

A Solution?
I got to the point where I felt I really had to do something about this, especially when more jobs fell my way due to my husbandís illness. Ordinary hand creams didnít seem to help at all. To be fair, this was probably down to me being careless and leaving it until my hands were in a state before taking action. I was looking for something that would give my skin on my hands chance to recover. One day, whilst shopping in the Lakeland store of our nearby city, I noticed this product. The words ĎSkin Protectorí caught my eye so I picked it up & read the information on the back. What I read convinced me that it was worth trying, at about £5 a bottle, which was what I paid on that occasion. I think it may be as much as £5.99 now.

What Does It Do?
Dermaguard comes in a 250 ml white plastic bottle. It claims to contain a moisturiser while protecting your skin. It says it can be safely used on any part of the body, including the face. It forms a barrier while allowing skin to breathe, so it doesnít block pores. It isnít removed if you wash with ordinary soap and water and the protection continues for up to 4 hours. You can use it underneath rubber or latex gloves, too.

Whatís In It?
For the record:
Aqua, Dioctyl adipate, Dimethicone, Cetyl alcohol, Stearic acid, Phenoxyethanol, Triethanolamine, Methyl paraben, Propyl paraben, Citric acid.

What does it protect you from?
ē Unpleasant odours from clinging to your skin, e.g. garlic, fish etc
ē Helps prevent nappy rash
ē Skin damage from wind and rain
ē Chemicals, including bleach, detergents, fertilisers
ē Dirt
ē Oil

How Do You Use It?
This is a white, unperfumed lotion, fairly thin in consistency. You squeeze it on to clean, dry skin and rub it in well. I work it well into my cuticles and under my nails, as thatís where I have the greatest problems. The information says you need to allow 2-3 minutes to dry, and I agree with this, especially if youíve applied it generously. You can put on a second layer if youíre working with really harsh substances. Like most hand creams, you need to use it every day for maximum benefit. It also claims to be useful in the prevention of nappy rash.

My Experience of Using This
I find Dermaguard easy to apply. I didnít need to use a lot, because it spreads so well. I estimate that a dollop the sixe of a 50p coin covered both hands pretty well. A bottle lasts a long time. My initial thought was that it was too thin to do any good; I felt sure it would need to be a thick product to make any difference. I was wrong. Iíve found it invaluable, particularly in winter time when my problem is at its worst. By remembering to use it before working outdoors I have managed to avoid those painful splits in my fingers. My hands feel in far better condition. I think its claim to last for up to 4 hours is pretty accurate. Iíve also found a benefit that it doesnít specifically claim: my hands clean very easily when Iíve used this product before going out. I think itís wise to use it with another hand cream, as I donít think it claims to be a regular hand cream. I donít think itís just for gardeners. Weíve had some available for staff at the Preschool where I work. As you can imagine, thereís a lot of hand washing there, and itís important to look after your hands. I bought some for my elderly father, who has the same problem with splits that I do Ė I must have inherited it! He likes to go fishing and it helped his hands in that context Ė when he remembered to use it! I havenít had occasion to test it on other body parts, although I think I did use it on my face once, but I canít remember in what context now! I donít know about the nappy rash claims, but I canít see why it wouldnít work. The only disadvantage I have found is that the lid tends to break off, although itís still useable. But, in my experience, it does what it claims to do, and I donít want to be without it, so itís 5 stars from me.

Further Information
In researching this product I discovered that gymnasts find it useful:
Dermaguard is a British product. Manufacturers details as follows:
The Skin Care Company Limited
Bont Newydd Mill, St Asaph, LL17 0HH, GB
Tel: 01745 584 049
Fax: 01745 584 245
E-mail: enquiries@dermaguard.co.uk
Company Registration No: 02861474 (England & Wales)
Registered Office: 10 Nicholas Street, Chester, CH1 2NX
Website: www.dermaguard.com/
Pictures of Dermaguard Skin Protector
Dermaguard Skin Protector Dermaguard 1 - Dermaguard Skin Protector
Dermaguard Skin Protector

Bollinger28 27.04.2012 15:46

Sounds like good stuff :o)

kiss_me2070 27.04.2012 12:28