Review of "Dermalex Repair Eczema"

published 07/09/2016 | snow_drops
Member since : 20/07/2016
Just had my little boy, so you won't see me around Ciao as much as usual for the next wee while :)
Satisfactory
Pro clinically proven to improve eczema, might work for you
Cons very expensive, not available on prescription, didn't work for me
Ease to install

"Dermalex Repair Eczema - expensive and didn't work for me"

Dermalex Repair Eczema

Dermalex Repair Eczema

• ===Dermalex Repair Eczema===

Price: 30g for £17.09 (other larger sizes available)
Available: Superdrug, Boots, Lloyds Pharmacy, Amazon
Suitable: From 8 weeks old – baby and child version (there two separate versions available; one for babies and children, and another for adults)

Dermalex produce three creams, each aimed at different skin complaints: eczema, psoriasis, and rosacea. Dermalex Repair Eczema is formulated for eczema prevention and treatment. I purchased the Dermalex for babies and children, as my skin is very sensitive, and products formulated for babies’ skin tend to be more gentle.

Note: at the time of writing, Dermalex Repair Eczema was not available on NHS prescription

What does it do?

Dermalex claims to treat eczema and prevent it reoccurring. It claims to work in place of an emollient (moisturiser), and gives an added “protection” or barrier to the skin. It doesn’t feel like it leaves a protective residue after use, so I’m not sure if I believe this claim.

Dermalex has been clinically trialled, and showed that eczema improved an average of 83% for babies and children using the product. It doesn’t state how much it improved, however.

Dermalex is produced by Omega Pharma, who have made a questionable expensive Vaseline-type product in the past. In my experience of using creams for eczema, I always feel a little suspicious when they are so highly priced, but not available through the NHS. It worries me that it’s a commercial money making venture, rather than one aimed at actually improving health. However, I had read positive reviews about Dermalex online, so I thought it was worth trying.

Appearance and Smell

The tube is small, so easy to fit in a handbag (but runs out fast!). It’s a white tube with pink and blue writing, including ingredients but not directions for use. The cream is off-white, non-sticky and average thickness. It has a light but strange smell, which is hard to describe, but smells artificial.

What’s in it?

Dermalex don’t state what they’re active ingredients are, but those listed on the tube are:

Skin indetical ceramide complex
Cetearyl Alcohol
Cetyl Palmitate
Dehydroacetic Acid
Benzyl Alcohol
Alkaline earth minerals optimised for atopic eczema treatment for babies and children

Contains no: steroids, parabens, or fragrance

Using it

For regular use, this cream is squeezed on to clean, dry skin, and rubbed in to help it absorb. Dermalex recommend using it two or three times a day. It’s safe to use on your face, and on large parts of your body for an extended period of time.When using on babies, the directions are more detailed:
  • First three days – apply to damp skin
  • Thereafter – apply two to three times a day and after bathing
Does it Work?

For me, Dermalex didn’t work. When my eczema was particularly bad, I found Dermalex drying (possibly due to the alcohol and acid ingredients). I think, for me, it would possibly work as a preventative cream, but I’d rather use my prescription moisturisers for that as I know they are recommended by the NHS.

I think this cream is far too expensive for what it is, and I question why they’ve put their price point so high when there are comparable products (which have undergone more testing) available for free or at a reduced cost by NHS prescription.

Overall

Dermalex products are widely available and sell well in major pharmacies in the UK, so they must be effective for some people. If I had no access to my prescription creams, I think Dermalex would be a suitable preventative cream to use short-term, but I would rather stick to the creams which I am prescribed through the NHS.

• euphie published 10/09/2016
    vh :o)
  • 2mennycds published 09/09/2016
    I've had eczema/dermatitis most my life and unless I get an acute outbreak where I need the trusty Betnovate I find "emulsifying ointment" the best daily stuff. It's cheap and effective as a preventative/daily care product. It's terribly greasy but there again it's handy for door and window hinges as it stays in place and doesn't evaporate like WD40!
  • Angel19819 published 08/09/2016