tamg 4

tamg

Member since:10.08.2006

Solar defense booster

11.08.2006

Advantages:
light formula, easily absorbed

Disadvantages:
expensive

How long does the colour last?

How does it affect your skin?

Does it smell good?

Water resistancy

Sun Protection FactorSPF 12

10 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. pink_champagne
  2. NottzFan
  3. darkangelwing

Every time it comes to summer I go crazy by trying to figure out what sun protection to use and where to find it.

I have very sensitive skin so if a product doesn't suite me oh boy it shows. Not only that but I've been blessed with an oily complexion (apparently ages well but a pain to look after). Because of that I can't just buy anything and get away with it so I have to make careful choices.

I have been using dermalogica products for about 2 years now and I find them to be generally reliable so I decided to had down to my local representative to see what they have available. After a long looking about I ended up with a solar defence kit for £21.95. It does sound expensive but it has four products including after sun lotion so it could be worse.

One of these products was solar defence booster, which has spf 30 if used on its own. It was designed to be used with your normal face cream (mix equal parts of each product together and apply). Personally I think it's great. If you already have a moisturiser that you trust you get to use it and since you mix it in you your hands you not really applying cream twice. Plus it is not recommended to use spf creams at night.

Another advantage is that you are not restricted to using it just in the summer you can add it to you moisturiser all year round. Since face is exposed to the sun all year round (it is also one of the best kept antiaging secrets to use spf at all times except at night).

In the especially sunny days I applied straight on to my skin for spf 30 (sometimes skipping moisturiser all together) and I haven't burnt once and still got some tan (buy the way I am quiet fair so my nose burns within half an hour without sunscreen).

I loved the product the texture is very light, white in colour like most creams and is absorbed very quickly. It has a light fragrance that reminds of summer holidays. Like all of the dermalogica products it is oil free so perfect for my fussy complexion. Plus it has been proven that oil free sunscreens are as effective as the ones with oil.

Now all sun care products should be reapplied regularly for optimum protection. To suss out the code multiply the spf number by 10 (in this case it will be 30 times 10) and that would give the amount of minutes the sun block is effective for from the first application. About 300 minutes in this case if applied straight on the skin.

You can use it on kids but it says on the package not to use it on infants under six months.

A bit about the package itself. The full version comes in a simple white plastic bottle with a nozzel and dark yellow (almost orange) logo. The cap itself is also the same yellow colour. Simple and stylish.

Unfortunately this is not something you could use all over body (even though I really want to) you would just have to use a lot of it and it only comes in small quantities (my trial size was 9ml).
And it is very expensive! Full size is £20.55 for 30ml.

Would I buy it again? Yes (not necessarily in a full size, more likely as part of a kit). The thing is with our English summers it will definitely last you for ages as you would be mixing it in more often then not, and I found that I needed only a small amount. Plus to be honest I don't have many choices when it comes to skincare for I don't to pay the price later for using a cheaper product.

It is suitable for all skin types and if your skin is sensitive like mine I would recommend it despite the high price. And if money isn't an issue this is a product for you.

You can purchase it HQhair for above mentioned price plus £2.50 or go to Dermalogica website to check out the nearest outlet to you. The skin kit I was referring to is not available on HQhair. Plus check out Ebay to find some deals.

darkangelwing 12.08.2006 18:39

Great review (-: .......................................Darko

annaroos1 12.08.2006 14:56

I'll have a look for this as my skin is also super sensitive. anna

carly_pussycat 12.08.2006 12:33

I don't really like paying for expensive brands when it comes to sun protection because I read somewhere that some SPF ingredients don't work after 12 months.