Dermot Byrne & Floriane Blanke - Dermot Byrne

1 CD(s) - Celtic - Label: CD Baby - Distributor: Discovery; Discord; Proper - Released: 09/07/2012 - 689232117863

Review of "Dermot Byrne & Floriane Blanke - Dermot Byrne"

published 17/04/2017 | 2mennycds
Member since : 28/08/2015
Busy, busy! Son's wedding drawing near - retirement beckoning too. Some revamped Ciao and newly written other music reviews on my blog, mostlyacousticsteve.wordpress.com
Pro High calibre playing, varied "moods" and tempos, unusual combination of instruments
Cons Great - but no tracks quite blow me away
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"Jazz, world, Celtic, button accordion and harp - quite a mix!"

+++++++

Please note: perhaps understandably, Ciao not only exclude music reviews from diamond awards and premium fund, but also pay nothing at all for music reviews.

You may want to bear this in mind if reading/rating. On the other hand, it would be satisfying for me at least to earn a few extra points from posting a review.

My music blog now contains a number of posts, some of which are adapted from reviews posted here, but others are new, if you are interested.

+++++++

I came across this album by chance, and decided to give it a punt. It was going for the silly price of £2.00 – nothing to lose, really! I love instrumental folk music, and this one looked promising.

Who?

Dermot Byrne comes from County Donegal in the Irish Republic and learned his craft on accordion – and many tunes – from local players. Floriane Blancke comes from Paris, and has a classical background as well as having studied jazz and world music. She plays harp and piano

This promised to be rather different – but would it “work”?

The album

Th album comes in the increasingly common card packaging, but at least the cover folds out to display brief notes about the artists and the tunes. It consists of 12 tracks and plays for about 46 minutes.

The tunes

It’s never easy to review am instrumental album, but I’ll do my best!

>>>> Monaghan jig/The Templehouse Reel > Amhran na Leabhar > La Bourrasque >> Mister O’Connor > Farewell > The Mathematician/Johnny Wilmot’s Fiddles > Sore Point > Vas-y-Mimille > Killyburn Brae/Trim The Velvet > La Clairiere > Kishor’s Tune the variety of mood represented here – from upbeat to contemplative

>>> the varied arrangements – not every track features accordion and harp, and those that do don’t all feature them in equal measure. I also like the addition of one vocal track to (mainly) piano accompaniment

>>> the pairing of harp and accordion – this is the only album I have that does this, and I think that the two instruments complement each other well

>>> the addition of a vocal track, beautifully sung

I’M LESS KEEN ON…

>>> nothing specific comes to mind. My rating simply reflects that this isn’t one of my favourite albums, and although there are some tracks that I like very much, there aren’t any that quite blow me away.

It’s becoming harder to source new. Amazon are selling hard copy for £14.27, though it’s available new through their Marketplace for just over £10.50. I have found both Dodax and Marvelio to be reliable suppliers.

• siberian-queen published 23/04/2017
    excellent review
  • Pointress published 22/04/2017
    E!
  • euphie published 21/04/2017
    e :o)

offers "Dermot Byrne & Floriane Blanke - Dermot Byrne"