Review of "Despicable Me 3 (DVD)"

published 28/11/2017 | kiss_me2070
Member since : 11/02/2004
A huge thanks for all the reads, rates and comments. It's much appreciated :)
Good
Pro new characters including Gru's brother, funny, easy to follow
Cons less of the minions, not as good as the other two films
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"Gru Is Back with His Long Lost Twin Brother."

Despicable Me 3

Despicable Me 3

About
= = =
Despicable Me 3 is a 2017 American 3D computer-animated action comedy film produced by Illumination Entertainment for Universal Pictures. It is the third main instalment, fourth overall in the Despicable Me film series and the sequel to Despicable Me 2 (2013). The film is directed by Pierre Coffin and Kyle Balda, co-directed by Eric Guillon and written by Cinco Paul and Ken Daurio. In the film, Gru teams up with his long-lost twin brother Dru in order to defeat a new enemy named Balthazar Bratt, a 1980s child actor who grows up to become a villain. I have enjoyed all of the Despicable Me films and I think they are funny and easy watching. I don’t know anyone who doesn’t like these films and after the very first film came out. The minions seemed to become very popular.

Price/Availability
= = = = = = = =
I have Amazon Prime, so I was able to purchase this through there for £4.49 which I think was very reasonable. The film is available to buy on DVD for £10.00 or on Blu-ray for £13.00

Cast
• Adrian Ciscato as Niko

= = = =
The Film
= = = =
At the start of the film we learn all about Balthazar Bratt. Balthazar Bratt is a villain and he is always causing trouble. It’s not long before we see the Minions, Gru and Lucy whom are trying to stop Balthazar from stealing a large diamond. There is no doubt that children will find this character quite funny as he seems to like dancing and is always doing dance routines when he is pulling off heists. It’s nice to see Lucy in this film again and she now of course lives with Gru, Margo, Edith and Agnes. Gru is still the same great character that he was in the other films and you can’t help but not like him. Valerie Da Vinci is a new character in the film and one which everyone is bound to have a disliking to. She’s not a very nice person and she sacks Gru and Lucy from their jobs, so they have to find another way to make some money and to pay the bills. The minions are funny as expected and they are always doing things to make you laugh. Me and my boyfriend found some of the things that they were doing quite funny. Margo, Edith and Agnes and Gru’s adopted children and I always used to think that Agnes was the cutest one out of them all and again in this film she is just adorable and seems to be obsessed with trying to find a real unicorn.

We meet Gru’s mother (Marlena) in the film and also Dru whom is Gru’s brother. Gru never knew that he had a twin and he is invited to go and meet him. Dru is quite a funny character; although very different to Gru and there I no doubt that children will find him very funny. At first Gru doesn’t seem to like Dru and he wants to leave shortly after meeting him; how-ever in the end he stays and Dru helps Gru out with trying to defeat Balthazar Bratt. Although the Minions are in the film they may not play as a big part as they do in the previous two films. The film does focus on Gru’s brother a lot and Dru and Gru trying to bond each other and catching the villain. We do see some more of Gru’s inventions during the film, and as always, his inventions are always quite funny. The film was a little predictable in terms of whether Gru and his brother do catch the villain or not but despite this the film was still watchable and it’s one that children will no doubt enjoy.

= = = = =
Reception
= = = = =
• On review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 60% based on 166 reviews, and an average rating of 5.7/10.
• On Metacritic, which assigns a normalized rating, the film has a score of 49 out of 100 based on 37 critics, indicating "mixed or average reviews".
• IGN gave the film a score of 6/10, saying, "It’s not much, but Despicable Me 3 is at least enough for the younger fans of the franchise.

Overall Opinion
= = = = = = = =
We watched this film on Sunday as we knew it was going to be an easy watch, my boyfriend only ended up watching about 30mins of the film before falling asleep but I managed to watch it all. The film is easy to follow and although the storyline and introducing Gru’s long lost brother, was a good idea, I am not sure I found the film as good as the previous ones. The Minions still play a great part in the film; although they didn’t seem to feature in this film as much as they have in others which is a shame as I think most people and especially children love the films because of the minions. Agnes is definitely the most adorable character in the film and girl’s watching the film will love how obsessed she is with unicorns and her will-power to go and find one when someone tells her that unicorns are real and that they really do exist. I did find some parts of the film funny and no doubt children will find parts funnier than adults at times. I purchased the film on Black Friday, so I think it may have been on special offer on Amazon. If you or your children are a fan of the Despicable Me films, then I would definitely recommend watching this. I think out of all the three Despicable Me films this is my least favourite.

Other Information
DVD Release Date: 6th Nov 2017

• euphie published 29/11/2017
    vh :o)
  • Angela150 published 29/11/2017
    Excellent review. Please rate some of my reviews if you get time as I have not reached the payment threshold yet.
  • SnowSurprise published 29/11/2017
    Haven't seen this yet!!!!