Kitchen Cleaner

Review of "Dettol All Purpose Cleaner Multi-Action 4in1"

published 05/09/2017 | Candyperfumegirl
Member since : 19/03/2014
Many thanks for all the reads & rates
Good
Pro cleans well.
Cons too strong. difficult to dispense
Do you need to use much for each clean?
Irritable to skin?
Longlasting effects?

"Dettol All Purpose 4 in 1 Cleaner"

Dettol All Purpose Cleaner Multi-Action 4in1

The kids went back to school today, after the very long six week break, over the summer holiday I've been a little more lax with the housework, only really doing the essential jobs, with three kids at home it's hardly worth spending so much time on the housework just for it to get messy 5 minutes later. So today I have been very busy catching up and giving the house a good deep clean, to do this I've brought out the big guns, including this Dettol All Purpose cleaner, which I picked up in Home Bargain for about a quid.

What does it look like?

Dettol Multi Action Cleaner comes presented in a rather flimsy looking 450ml plastic bottle, this is clear so the blue liquid itself can be seen inside. The brand logo and product name are clearly displayed on the front, alongside a picture of some white flowers.

We have a blue cap which screws off to reveal the large hole through which the liquid can be dispensed. The cap doubles as a dosing device.

General information is given on the back, including warnings which should be read thoroughly before use.
What are the claims?

Dettol claim that this cleaner had 3x the power cleaning of other cleaners on the market, this is a 4 in 1 product which can be used on all hard none porous washable surfaces. It can be used all around the home, for example in the kitchen, bathroom, living areas and even outside. It can be used neat or diluted, as required. It will remove burnt on food and degrease too, leaving a fresh fragrance.

The product is antibacterial and will kill 99.9% of bacteria including E.coli and Influenza (H1N1).

Heads up, it cannot be used on unsealed laminate flooring, unsealed wood, carpet, upholstery or any fabric for that matter.

My Experience

I was initially draw to this as it is a 4 in 1 product, so I can use it in a variety of ways in the home without the need to keep switching and changing between different products. This has been particularly helpful today, when I want to get plenty of housework done in a short a time as possible.

I've used this one neat on my kitchen work tops by simply applying a small amount to a sponge and wiping the area down, it worked well at removing any food debris and left these areas sparkly clean, plus I felt satisfied it had killed any germs. However, when used neat the area has to be wiped over again which I found a little annoying. It added extra time onto my cleaning and I couldn't help thinking a regular kitchen multi action spray cleaner would have done the job quicker without the need to 'rinse'.

Next I tackled the tiled flooring in my kitchen and hallway, this time I diluted the cleaner into a bucket of hot water and set about mopping, I could see my tiles getting cleaner as I was busy at work and was pleased with the end results. However, I found it annoying having to measure out the correct amount each time and when it come to cleaning the laminate flooring in my living room I must admit to discarding the lid on the measuring cup in exchange for a quick guesstimating and just poured some straight into my bucket. To clean my floors, I usually use Flash which has a stop valve for dispensing, which means the bottle itself measures the required amount out for you. I find such bottles easier to use and there is less waste too as I don't just slosh in any old amount like I ended up doing with this Dettol cleaner.
Fragrance

The product is available in a few different 'fragrances', mine is Fresh cotton breeze. Personally, I find it a little too strong which is problematic because strongly fragranced cleaners can give me a bit of a headache - which this one actually did. However, it does calm down a little after use and although I can still get a whiff of it after cleaning my floor it isn't too over powering.

Final Thoughts

Overall, I was more than satisfied with the performance of Flash All Purpose Multi Cleaner but I found it a bit of a faff to dispense. Personally, I find it easier to use a all in one spray for my work surfaces, which doesn't need rinsing after application. Furthermore, I found myself using too much of the product whilst cleaning the floor and prefer a bottle that measures the amount required itself. For these reasons, I ended up using more of the product than I probably needed and have nearly finished the whole bottle already, in just one cleaning session - which doesn't seem very economic to me.

However, today - for the first time in weeks - my house is looking uber clean, the tiles in my hall and kitchen are looking sparkly clean, as are my work surfaces. All thanks to this Dettol all purpose cleaner, which made easy work of a tough job. It's so lovely to have my home looking so clean once again and I am sure it will stay this way...until around 3:20 that is, sigh.

• Saraa23 published 13/09/2017