Review of "Diesel Bad Eau de Toilette"

published 12/09/2017 | catsholiday
Member since : 03/03/2003
Reviews : 1948
We were travelling but now back so normal service resumed.Thank you anyone who is kind enough to read then rate my reviews, especially those Es.
Pro Lasts well, subtle dry down better than initial burst
Cons Expensive, awful advert campaign and intense initial hit
Staying power
Design of the bottle

"Diesel BAD EDT, despite its name it isn't that BAD"

Diesel Bad Eau de Toilette

Diesel Bad Eau de Toilette

DIESEL BAD EDT

I buy samples from ebay from time to time as well as asking fr them at various shops when out and about. Sometimes I send for them when the new perfume or EDT is being launched and they are offering samples so I have quite a large collection. I use these samples when travelling as I can take a nice range of scents with me that take up very little room and I have found that security will let a couple of these through in my bag so I can use them to freshen up in flight.

~#*~#*~#*~#*~ ABOUT DIESEL ~#*~#*~#*~#*~

I have to admit this not a brand I am drawn to especially as it doesn't offer anything I am particularly interested in and the 'scents' seem to be mainly for men as after shaves .

Diesel is yet another Italian fashion house . It was founded in Breganze, Italy and the young man behind the brand started by making his own jeans and then selling similar ones to his friends. He started the company with a loan from his father and in 1985 became the sole owner of the company. I

They make men's and women's clothes which look functional. Jeans, hoodies, shirts often denim, and other clothing, footwear, and accessories but in my humble opinion they look nothing special and are over priced just because they have a brand name.

~#*~#*~#*~#*~ THE NOTES IN THIS ~#*~#*~#*~#*~

The top notes are : Bergamot, lavender, cardamon and violet leaf
The middle notes are : caviar, orris root and sage
The base notes are : tobacco, woody notes, tonka bean, ambroxan and patchouli

I have to admit that I have never heard of ambroxan and never seen caviar in any other perfume/scent/aftershave I have reviewed. The other notes are all ones I like so in theory I should really like this one despite it being aimed at males rather than females.

~#*~#*~#*~#*~ DIESEL DESCRIBE THIS ~#*~#*~#*~#*~

“”Diesel BAD evokes brooding virility and a sense of erotic mystery. Covered in a grainy black leather texture, the Diesel BAD bottle has a seductive, masculine look, inspired by the classic black leather biker jacket.”

“A daring and sophisticated olfactive signature, Diesel BAD is the first scent combining accords of tobacco and caviar to create an addictive, pulsating, yet fresh woodiness.”

~#*~#*~#*~#*~ THE CAMPAIGN FOR BAD ~#*~#*~#*~#*~

The entire “BAD” advertising and promotional videos and prints try to evoke this bad boy image – think Easy Rider and that kind of look.

The person they chose to be the face of the BAD adverts and act in the video is Boyd Holbrook. In the video he plays an incorrigible seducer wearing leather clad gear. He goes to kiss her and just as he does this he tells her what to expect and that he is a womaniser!!

Holbrook has been in a number of films recently including, “Milk”, “Gone Girl”, “Narcos”, and “Wolverine” so this advertising campaign must have cost Diesel quite a few dollars.

The creators of this EDT are Anne Flipo and Carlos Benaim who say they aimed for this EDT to be a game of seduction with a strong fresh exciting top note hit with seductive undertones coming from the caviar, tobacco and orris root .

~#*~#*~#*~#*~ PACKAGING ~#*~#*~#*~#*~

This comes in a black cardboard box with BAD in brownish gold in the front centre and Diesel in smaller text. It is pretty simple and minimalist and definitely a masculine looking package.

Inside this box is the bottle which has a textured black suede kind of feel to it. I think it is meant to be the texture of leather like the leather jacket in the advert. The stopper covers the spray dispenser showing a little gold below the stopper which is the same fabric texture as the bottle. This texture is actually achieved by micro engraving the glass . The BAD in the middle of the bottle is clear and shows the colour of the contents of the bottle. Again this is quite a masculine bottle.

~#*~#*~#*~#*~ MY VIEWS ~#*~#*~#*~#*~

This is an EDT and EDTs contains 5-9% perfume oil, which is not as strong or long lasting as an Eau de Parfum which usually has 8-14% perfume oil concentration. They don't usually make EDP for men, thy tend to be either EDT or after shave.

I applied this early in the morning after my shower in order to write this review which I have been doing on and off most of the day in between other things. Each time I come back to it I give my inner wrist a sniff to check how it has developed.

The initial hit was very intense and quite masculine, fresh and after shave sort of aroma. I couldn't rally smell lavender though there was a herby element and the bergamot came through very strong. The violet leaf adds a greenness while the cardamom adds a spicy note. I love cardamom and could pick it out in this straight away.

It didn't take long to settle and the middle notes began to emerge . I couldn't detect caviar which t me smells fishy so I wasn't sorry. The sage must have been the herby element I could smell earlier on.

The dry down lasted a good long time on my skin. I could still smell it on my skin at least four hours later which is pretty good I think. I sprayed some on my T shirt too and I can still smell that and I suspect I will be able to smell it still on that tomorrow.

The dry down is subtle and not the intense fresh hit of the beginning spray. The smell of this is woody with hippy patchouli and creamy tonka blending beautifully. I have no idea what ambroxan is or what it is meant to smell like but I do like tobacco in scented products as it has a lovely rich, warm comforting aroma.

All in all I did actually like this despite my initial reservations about the company and the advertising campaign. I was pleasantly surprised by the dry down and the way it lasted on my skin. I thin the hype and advertising campaign did this no favours as it would put a lot of people off. It certainly didn't encourage me to sample it despite the fact I do like some masculine fragrances.

~#*~#*~#*~#*~ BUYING THIS ~#*~#*~#*~#*~

This comes in an EDT in 35 ml, 50ml and 125 ml. The Eau de Cologne comes in 75 ml and 125 ml . The shower gel comes in 100ml and 200 ml sizes, th 100 ml is in a gift box with a 50 ml EDT as well as.

The prices are quite high I feel for this as it is nice enough but not anything special.

The EDT varies from around £35 for the smallest size through to around £45 for the 75ml and anything from £50 to £68 for the 125 ml which seems much better value to me.

There is an EDP for 50 ml costing around £45

Te eau de cologne 75 m size seems to be around £50

The shower gel is very expensive in my view at around £20

The gift set costs around around £50

As always I would say shop around if you are wanting to buy this and don't forget cashback and loyalty cards do help too.

~#*~#*~#*~#*~ EXTRA TIPS ~#*~#*~#*~#*~

Keep your perfumes fresher by keeping them stored in their boxes somewhere cool and dark.

Apply your scents to pulse points, wrists, behind your ears and maybe a little down your cleavage for ladies. I also apply a spray to my hair as then my hair smells great too.

~#*~#*~#*~#*~ RECOMMENDED? ~#*~#*~#*~#*~

I actually like this more than I thought I would but even so I am not sure I would buy this for myself as it is quite masculine . I never buy smellies for others unless I know already that they like the smell . If either of my sons said they liked this I would be happy to buy it for them and borrow it occasionally. If someone gave this to anyone in the family who was not so keen I would be happy to use it for them.

If you like masculine scents with spicy warn notes that lasts well then check this out. Don't be off put by the p adverts or the brand name and scent name . Also don't judge this on initial spray as the dry down is much calmer and more subtle.

Thanks for reading