Diet Chef Hamper

Review of "Diet Chef Hamper"

published 28/10/2009 | paulathomson89
Member since : 21/12/2006
Satisfactory
Pro You don't really have any cooking to do
Cons Everything, horrid food, expensive
Price level
Instructors
Time investment

"Diet Chef? You will lose weight as the food goes straight in bin!"

Diet Chef Hamper

I seen the diet chef website online and thought i'd give it a go. I've been trying to lose weight for about a year now since i had my daughter Sky and thought it would be a good way to try and get the weight off. I was wrong!

What is Diet Chef?

Diet Chef is an online service that prepares all your healthy weight loss meals for you and sends them to you via courier. You are then meant to heat the food up in a microwave or pot on the stove. The pack consists of a breakfast, porridge or granola, soup or a shake for lunch and then a meal for dinner. They also provide you with one healthy snack a day if you 'should feel peckish'.

How to order your hamper

www.dietchef.co.uk is their website which you order your hamper from. The website is quite easy to use and there are lots of reviews from papers and magazines saying just how fab the hamper is. I feel the the sort of reviews from the papers etc really encouraged me to buy the hamper. When you order your hamper you have to chose if you are a lady or a man as men need more calories and need a bigger hamper. Once you have chosen your sex you then choose how many of each item you would like! Simple as that! I found the ordering process very easy and quite quick.

The food!

There was a lot of variety to choose from which i found quite good as you could have a different meal every day of the week.

The breakfasts: i tried a mixture of the porridge and granola which were all very nice. I chose the cocoa nib porridge which is just like regular porridge but it had little bits of chocolate in it which was a nice treat. Also the original granola which was plain but quite nutty, the pink apple and cinnamon granola which had little bits of dried apple in it and the cinnamon wasn't too overpowering, which suited me. I also tried the treacle and pecan granola, i did enjoy this one i just didn't think it tasted very much like treacle! The last breakfast i had was the chocolate granola which i did not like at all. It didn't taste like chocolate just horrid granola!! I enjoyed most of the granolas but they had a variety of seeds(pumpkin, sunflower, etc) in them which i didn't really like so i just pulled them out!

The Lunches:
You can choose between soups or shakes for your lunch and again i chose a variety of them. The shakes that i chose were chocolate, strawberry and vanilla. They were very thick and creamy and were best when they were cooled in the fridge. The chocolate one was quite rich and the strawberry one was quite fruity. The vanilla just had a very strange taste and didn't taste of vanilla at all. The soups were quite nice, i tried the pea and ham one and it was very tasty, it was quite salty but i liked that! The minestrone soup was delicious and very warming, the chorizo and bean soup was also very nice. It was very very thick and was more along the lines of a stew, but it was very hearty and filling which i loved.

The dinners:
To sum it up they were horrid! They were thin and watery with hardly any meat in them at alland they lacked flavour. I tried beef meatballs, chicken casserole, chicken curry, chicken tikka masala and thai chicken curry among a few. And they were all disgusting. I didn't like any of the dinners and once i had a forkfull of each one i just put it straight in the bin! Which was a waste i know but they really were horrid.

The cost

I purchased the 14 day hamper which cost me £95 plus £4.95 p&p. So it is quite expensive. I think it is too much to pay for such a terrible hamper!

overall Opinion

The hamper is very expensive and it is not very good. I have no problems paying extra for quality but this was just a terrible experience and i would advise everyone if you were thinking about it not to bother. it is so much easier just to batch cooker healthy food at home and freeze it than to buy this. It works out much cheaper to buy your own food and so much tastier too!

• angelboouk123 published 12/07/2011
    think id rather to go to tesco or asda..less expensive lol x
  • killiefan published 08/07/2011
    Sounds rubbish!
  • spiralrose published 11/01/2010
    I was looking for something routine and controlled once I finish the Cambridge diet, but I think I'll pass on this one

Product Information : Diet Chef Hamper