Review of "Diprobase Cream"

published 12/07/2011 | dawnmarywhite
Member since : 27/06/2011
Pro Soothing, really moisturises
Cons Some may find it greasy
Side effects
Effectiveness

"Deeply dippy about Diprobase"

I was prescribed Diprobase emollient a few years ago, when I was suffering bouts of skin irritation on my legs that resulted in itchy, dry and flaky patches. I have never suffered from that since that particular occurrence cleared up, but I have had outbreaks of something similar on my hands on and off over the years. When I was prescribed it the doctor told me I may want to use it at night as it's greasy, but I have not experienced this, I think it's fine so long as you don't use too much.

I got the 500g pump dispenser rather than a tube of it since I was using it all over both legs, which is great as not only do I have plenty of it but it's easy and clean to dispense. The bottle is white plastic and the pump has a red attachment that lets you close it to prevent accidental spillages or leaking. When this is in place the pump will not depress. It pulls off really easily and clips back on just as easy, so it's no hassle and not fiddly.

The cream itself is white, thick and does smell quite strongly, though to me it's not an offensive smell. It smells 'medicinal' if that makes sense. I do notice some lingering smell on my skin when I've been using it, but after a while it's not noticeable. It goes away quicker if I wash my hands, and doing so doesn't undo the good work of this cream so it's win win!

The label is chock full of information, most of which I will summarise, but remember to read it properly before using. Diprobase is usually used on really dry damaged skin, where it works to restore a lot of moisture. It is also used to soothe and protect raw skin which can result from many skin conditions. It is recommended for those suffering eczema, who can apply it before bathing to help prevent moisture loss. I used it this way for my hands as well as I was working in pubs during my worst outbreaks, and as such my hands spent a lot of time wet. I found this really did help stop them drying out, which in turn helped prevent them getting too itchy and flaky. Obviously as a result of this I scratched less.

Some side effects have been reported but these are generally quite minor and include things like itching and a rash (ironic!) I noticed no adverse effects at all when using this quite regularly, even when applying it more generously than the 'thin' the label recommends. I used to put it on my hands and slip on a pair of cotton gloves before bed. My hands felt great after washing them the next morning and it really sorted out dry patches.

When you put this on, you can almost feel the moisture being replaced. It is very soothing especially when you have quite severe dry flaky patches. When I used it on my legs, I would apply a little at a time direct to these areas and rub it in until it was all gone, and repeat this until the flakiness disappeared. Obviously it would come back over time but doing this really did help. I like the action of rubbing as well, as it helps satisfy my desire to scratch!

Since I got this on prescription, I can't comment on prices, but what I can say is that it really worked for me to hydrate my poor skin when it badly needed it. And a little goes a long way so whatever size you get it should offer decent value.

• pgn0 published 12/07/2011
    If you spend any part of your day with your hands encased in rubber or nitrile gloves, this product can really help ease irritation or skin cracks that result. Nice review.

offers "Diprobase Cream"