Direct Line Car Insurance

Direct Line Car Insurance

Review of "Direct Line Car Insurance"

published 27/11/2002 | Phil0205
Member since : 08/11/2002
Pro Cheapest Quote I could find, even cheaper on-line
Cons The wheels on that telephone don't look safe!!!

"Go Directly On-Line to Direct Line"

Car insurance. What an interesting subject. I hate it, and unless you're an insurance broker, you probably hate it too. But we all need it if we want to drive.

This is the first year I have been with Direct Line, and so far, so good.

My insurance with my previous insurers always cost me what I considered to be far too much money. I believe I am a safe driver, 1 minor hiccup a few years ago, but that was my fault and no other vehicles were involved. I just reversed into a very large, narrow post. It was in my blind spot...ok!!! Well, that's my excuse anyway, but that's my only accident, and I was still gutted when I'd done it!

So when my insurance was ready for renewal, I was expecting my premiums to reduce, since after all, I had an extra years worth of no-claims now. To my horror, it had increased, by almost 10%. My immediate reaction was "Are they having a laugh, they can stick this up their.....".

Once I had calmed down, I decided to look on line for other car insurance.

I looked at many different sites, but Direct Line came out on top by a long way. for a start, their insurance over £200 cheaper than my current insurance.

Also, because I used their web page to buy my insurance, I also got a 5% discount. This is a definate incentive to go go-line rather than calling.

How would I rate their web site?
================================

Direct line offer many services, not just car insurance, but other insurance and financial services too. Their web site was quite in-depth but at the right kind of level.

I found it to be very easy to navigate and the on-line forms were very simple to fill in, so within 5 minutes, I was able to get a quote for my insurance.

Paying was just as easy. This can be done either in one lump sum, or broken down into monthly payments. There is a small charge for paying monthly, but there is also a small charge for using any payment other than direct debit, so it about evens out, which ever method you chose.

Comparing the small charge to other insurers, it's about the same. The only insurer I have ever found that offers monthly payment option without interest is Eagle Star, but their insurance was higher anyway, so still not worth it.

You can have add-on's on your insurance to protect you even further if you want. An example of this breakdown recovery. I don't need this as I am covered anyway, (see my opinion on Barclays Bank!).

You can also protect your claims. Very useful, because even though we are all careful drivers, you never know.

I would certainly recommend Direct Line to you if you were looking for a new insurer. Pricewise, nobody could touch them. The closest I found to Direct Line was still £80 more expensive!

I'd definately book on-line for your extra discount. It's very easy. All that happens is that once it's confirmed, papers will be sent to you which you have to sign agreement too (same as buying insurance over the phone!)

Once this is done, cover starts and you don't hear any more from them (apart from the odd 'junk mail' letter) until renewal time I guess, when hopefully I will have another year claim free and be cheaper still!

www.directline.co.uk

• royray published 28/11/2002
    I really hate that advert,take care,pat.
  • MRS.CANADA published 27/11/2002
    Phil this sounds like a great site for people who live in the UK. Lyla
  • peekaboo123 published 27/11/2002
    I think my dad's insured under these, I'm not qute sure how he aint had a crash yet, he drives like a lunatic on speed! Laura x

Product Information : Direct Line Car Insurance