Direct Line Car Insurance

Direct Line Car Insurance

Review of "Direct Line Car Insurance"

published 27/05/2005 | rajeshk4u
Member since : 16/10/2004
Pro none
Cons CANCELLATION OF POLICY Clause!

"CANCELLATION OF POLICY CLAUSE!!"

Although my EXPERIENCE comes from Elephant.co.uk, it is just as applicable to DirectLine, as they have similar wordings in their POLICY DOCUMENT.

The "Cancellation Of Policy" is the latest scam by used by insurance companies to screw you!.

I had used Elephant for 3 years, until the day I had to make a claim because some driver hit my car and ran off!. I had to claim on my insurance. However, they declared my car UNECONOMIC TO REPAIR - In other words it was a TOTAL LOSS.

However, I discovered some NASTY clauses in their insurance policy. Aside from loosing my (agreed) Policy Excess of £300, Elephant was going to CANCEL MY INSURANCE and KEEP the REMAINDER OF THE PREMIUM. IT IS WRITTEN IN THE POLICY. This is not right!!!. The maximum I should loose is your Policy Excess (ie £300). Why should you have to buy BRAND NEW INSURANCE POLICY?

The same will apply if your car is stolen. So imagine you are a young driver who paid £1000 for his insurance and your car is worth £1000. And the next day your car gets stolen. Even though your car is insured against theft (so the insurance will give you £1000 less you policy excess), but you have to fork out another £1000 for a new insurance policy!!! What a rip-off!!!

I suggest people read the policy documents. You can request one or read online. You have 7 day cooling off period.

• kappaslappa published 31/05/2005
    As below...
  • Soho_Black published 28/05/2005
    Duplicated, for the most part, from your Elephant review and off topic, as it mostly refers to that company. Also, you admit you have no direct experience with Direct Line, so you shouldn't really be writing about them.
  • Matt.Blundell published 28/05/2005
    Your're right you should read your policy documents as you should with anything you by. It is standard insurance practice for your insurance company to retain your permium following a claim, they dealt with your claim - thats what you paid for! As for starting a new policy following a total loss this definately does not apply with Direct Line as i have worked there for 7 years!

Product Information : Direct Line Car Insurance