Discount Railcards

Discount Railcards

Review of "Discount Railcards"

published 06/03/2008 | shaaza
Member since : 09/07/2007
Pro get a third off train tickets, lasts for a whole year,
Cons can't get discounts during peak periods.
Frequency of trains
Reliability of trains
Speed of trains
Safety of trains
How extensive is their Rail Network?

"I'm young enough, are you?"

A young person's rail card is for the young generation whom are currently between 16 and 25 years old. The card is also for mature students whom are 26 years of age or older. I got my first rail card last year in February as I realised how much I was using the railway to travel.
I just recently renewed my young person's card in February and it was a shame to see that the price for the rail card had gone up. The young person's card allows you to get a third off train tickets, which saves you lots of money.

Price

The young person's rail card price has recently been increased from £20 to £24 I was rather disappointed for the reason that it was about a month before I had to renew my rail card.
However I still do think that the price is worth for the reason that you will save at least £100 during the year you own the card if you travel quite frequently.

How to get one

You can apply for the young person's card online (www.youngpersons-railcard.co.uk). However if you apply online it will take a few days till you receive the rail card. If you apply online you will need either you passport or driving licence number as form of I.D and you will also need a digital photo.
Another way of getting hold of the rail card is by phone, whereby you call a number and they'll process it for you.
However, the rail card will not have a picture, but you will be allowed to use the card for a maximum of one month after that you will need to take a passport photo to your nearby train station for them to insert the picture.
Therefore it would be easy to apply in person like I did, as they will process the rail card and give it to you on the spot. However, if you are applying in person for the first time you will need to bring some form of I.D e.g. passport, birth certificate, driving license etc. You will also need to fill out an application form which wouldn't take you more than five minutes.

If you are a mature student you will definitely need either an ISIC card or you need to fill the mature student section on the application whereby you need the stamp of your university or possibly college.
When you renew your rail card like I did, you don't have to bring any form of I.D all you need to bring is your old rail card and they'll just print you off another slip to put in your rail card wallet.

Me and the Product

Using the rail card has been fairly easy during the one year I've owned the card. I find the rail card very helpful as I save quiet a lot of money. I remember last year (2007) during the summer the summer when I used to visit Brighton a lot using the train I'm sure I saved more than £50 in just two months of travelling up and down and the rail card only cost me £20.
I found the card to be most useful when I travelled long distance to other parts in the U.K as it cost quiet a lot to travel around those areas. It was even better when I realised that I can get the young person's discount even if I order my train tickets online, which saved me time in having to wait in the train station queues which can be very annoying and delaying.

I even got to like the rail card more when I learnt that I could save on other services rather than the train services. I noted that I could also save on hotels such as holiday inn, crown plaza, ilovefilm.com etc.

A huge disadvantage I found about this rail card is the fact that you can't use the rail card during the peak period in the morning, this has proved to cost me a lot of money specially at times when I had to travel to London Victoria in the morning with a single ticket costing £18 and sometimes £22 which is ridiculous.
Overall me and the product get along, the rail card is very smart and small therefore wouldn't take lots of space in your pocket or handbag. The savings of a third on every train ticket you buy (except peak periods) is fantastic and the fact that I have to renew the card after one year is even better.

Recommendation

I would definitely recommend this card to all those young people out there who travel by trains a lot as you get a third off the full adult price on train tickets including other services.
The rail card lasts a whole year so that's a very long time without having to renew it, which I think is rather cool.

Note

--- You cannot use an NUS card as for of I.D. You will need a passport, birth certificate, ISIC card or driving license as proof of age.

---The rail card lasts a whole year before you have to buy a new one.

---If your rail card gets stolen you will need a reference number from the police and you will need to show proof of age again.

---You can apply for one in person; in any train station around the U.K (they'll give you an application form)

---If you lose the card you will have to pay another £5 for a replacement.

---If you buy a ticket with the young person's rail card you will need to have it on you at all times, otherwise if the train conductor asks you for it and you don't show the rail card, you will have to pay the full adult price.

---You can't use the rail card during peak period, which is more of a shame.

---For more information including terms and conditions of using the rail card just have a click around their website (www.youngpersons-railcard.co.uk).

• Granet published 25/05/2008
    Now renamed the "16 - 25" railcard - it also gives a 33% discount off the (already reduced) price of Advance Purchase First Class travel tickets! I wish I was young again!
  • Mp_Nichols published 24/03/2008
    Great review! I have to travel from the South to Derby all the time so I save over £20 each time (sometimes twice a month)! It is good you can still use it when you are a mature student - I will have to remember that!
  • bluejules published 09/03/2008
    Great review. I don't travel by train so I haven't applied for one of these. Jules x

Product Information : Discount Railcards