Discount Railcards

Discount Railcards

Review of "Discount Railcards"

published 28/07/2009 | dotjay19
Member since : 13/06/2009
Pro Great savings and reasonable cost to buy - check out the offers
Cons Don't do one for just adults.
Frequency of trains
Reliability of trains
Speed of trains
Safety of trains
How extensive is their Rail Network?

"Family Railcard - great discounts"

I bought my first ever railcard this year - I am a devoted driver and the cost of fuel versus the cost of going by train has never really compared whether there was one of you in the car or four. i personally never felt that I didn't use the train enough to re-coup the cost of the railcard - how wrong!.

I bought my card via a link on money saving expert for £18 as opposed to £24, there have been promotions since giving you 3 months free and then buy for £12 for the year.

The card enables up to 4 adults and 4 children to travel on one railcard, but to get the discounts you must have at least one child travelling with the party. The card then gives a third off all adult fares and 60% off all child fares even if you book in advance.

This year I booked with the maximum notice for the 3 of us to be to London (2 adults and 1 child) and we went for £85 (so this saved about £65). based on the fact that congestion charge is £8 per day and the likely cost of parking each day in London even with the cost of the railcard this price takes alot of beating.

in addition to this there are additional discounts to be had such as discounts on staying at Ramada and Holiday Inn hotels, also 2 for 1 london outings including shows - so its alsways worth checking out the railcard offers before you depart anywhere.

using the card couldn't be easier too, as when you go to use the card on a rail internet booking site, just select the drop down box to select family railcard, and the discount is calculated.

Product Information : Discount Railcards