Review of "Disney's Animal Kingdom"

published 06/07/2006 | KELLYLOUJ
Member since : 21/07/2005
Have worked in the Travel Industry for over 10 years, now a stay at home mum looking after my hardworking hubby and son.
Pro Great park a little bit different to the other disney parks
Cons Not too much to do
Prices
Is it worth visiting?
Transport links
Family Friendly

"Safari with Mickey and Minnie"

The Lion King Show

The Lion King Show

Animal Kingdom is one of the less popular parks at Disneyworld, why I have no idea but it is certainly providing something different to all of the other parks.

Animal Kingdom is a slightly more easy going day out than the others so is definately a good park to visit and recover.

As you enter Animal Kingdom the same ticket system is in place as all the other Disney Parks and works for all entry tickets, I had purchase a Disney Ultimate Ticket for £115 this allows access for 14 consecutive days to all Disney Parks and is definately the best option for a two week holiday.

****Top Tip*****
Buy your theme park tickets before you depart the UK you can take advantage of some great offers and save yourselves a small fortune and get some added freebies thrown in.

There is a 3 step entry system in process:-

1 Enter your ticket
2 Next a light will flash where you will have to provide you finger prints.
3 Ticket will be returned

This system is in process so that should your ticket be lost it can be traced back to your finger prints, pretty cool huh!!

As you enter the park you are greeted with Oasis which contains lots of exotic animals in the lush tropical gardens which leads on to the many other adventures available within Animal Kingdom.

To the left is camp Minnie- Mickey this is a great place to get out of the Floridian Sunshine and chill out watching a show.
There are currently two shows Pocahontas and her Forest Friends which is ideal for the younger visitors and was not one show that we watched, however we did watch the Festival of the Lion King which was excellent the show was amazing and was jam packed so make sure you get there early to get a good seat and watch the spectacular music and dance performance. When you enter the park make sure you get a guide to the times of the shows so that you can make sure you catch this show.

Discovery Island is the next stop and is encircled by Discovery River with an amazing tree carved with over 325 animal images towering 14 stories tall underneath the tree tho is A Bugs life which is a 4D Adventure called "It's tough to be a bug" and experience life from a bugs point of view.

Discovery Island trails is a great way to relax and get away from the high adrenaline pumping rides. Stroll around and take in the landscape and wildlife.
This is great and you see many creatures as you walk around and their are plenty of guides on hand to answer any queries.

Africa is the next stop and has the Kilimanjaro Safari which is excellent we ended up going on this twice and cannot recommend that you go on this enough!!
An open air safari vehicle takes you on an expedition through Africa with giraffes, elephans and many more roaming freely around with a bit of a storyline to it it makes it more exciting for the children, and the drivers all have their own character so each trip is never the same.

Pagani Forest Exploration Trail is a nice walk around the forest where you can see many birds, gorillas and hippos again with many guides to provide you with informative information.

Rafiki's Planet watch was the one area of Animal Kingdom that I was not impressed with.
This was slightly boring for me but I suppose for some people it would be very interesting as it is how Animal Kingdom look after the pets behind the scenes.

The Wildlife Express Train is a great ride lasting 5-7 minutes with an onboard guide giving you information as to what Disney do to help animals.

Habitat Habit is an outdoor discovery trail which we didnt even bother to go on partly because my feet were killing me and the fact that I was sunburnt and it also didnt appeal to me very much!

Conservation Station is where you can enjoy live animal encounters and learn interesting facts again I just wanted to have a bit more excitement so we wandered around as Mark wanted to have his picture taken with Pocahontas but unfortunately she was not there!!

Affection sections was for me a bit disappointing as there was only goats and sheep that you coul dtouch and a donkey, I was expecting there to be more animals that you could interact with but there is an excellent system in place for you to enter and exit ensuring that you wash you hands and are at no risk of contamination.

Asia was great fun as we went on the Kali River Rapids which is a slow relaxing ride until you meet a massive drop as there was onl two of us in our group we had to share with a family and the poor young biy got absolutely drenched whereas the rest of us came off ok. A great ride and much better than the Congo River rapids at Alton Towers!!

Dinoland USA is a bt of a fairground style attraction with many different rides, we ventured onto the Primeval Whirl which is a maze of curves, drops and hills where you excape the jaws of the dinosaur similar to Spinball Wizzard at Alton Towers but a lot more jerky so its not an enjoyable ride but still a ride all the same.

Triceratop Spin is a giant spinning top ride which is plenty of fun to ride and not too hard going.

Dino-Sue is 40ft long and 13ft tall and towers over Dino-Land!

The Boneyard is a play maze ideal for kids and is great if you want to take a break whilst the kids tire themselves out.

Animal Kingdom may be the less popular of the Disney Parks but there is still plenty of fun to be had and well worth the visit, just make sure you catch the parade as you don't want to miss the amazing costumes and of course the Disney Costumes.

Disney provide shuttle buses to all of the parks and you can hop on and off whenever and wherever you want and they tend to operate every 10 minutes, so make sure you catch one during your time in Disneyworld.

• RClure published 25/07/2006
    I must say I thought the end of the Safari was spoilt as it was so good and natural and then they disneyified it to make a bit of a story. Cx
  • bluejules published 16/07/2006
    I went to Florida in 2001 and I loved this park (along with the others!) Jules x
  • little_miss_sunshine1982 published 13/07/2006
    I went last year and loved Animal Kingdom as well as all the other parks! It rained when we went here but the Lion King show was dry and absolutely fantastic!! We didn't se many animals on the safari - smelt them though!!

offers "Disney's Animal Kingdom"

Product Information : Disney's Animal Kingdom