Hotel - Disneyland Resort, 77777, Marne-la-Vallee - 3 Stars - 563 Rooms

Review of "Disney's Hotel New York, Marne-la-Vallee"

published 16/05/2013 | louisechackett
Member since : 05/08/2006
OH MY GOD! Matt Cardle is now following me on Twitter! Watch this space ;)
Pro clean, luxurious, location, characters
Cons cleaner stole but would have happened in any resort hotel
Quality of Rooms
Standard of Service
Quality of Food & Drink
Cleanliness

"Hotel New York, Disneyland Paris"

Disney's Hotel New York, Marne-la-Vallee

When we came to be looking to book to go to Disneyland Paris we obviously had to spend a bit of time thinking about the accomodation that we wanted to stay in. Most of the people I knew had stayed in the Hotel Cheyenne which was one of the cheaper hotels on the resort but we decided that we wanted to stay closer to the Disney village and parks and so we decided to stay in the Hotel New York which is classed as the second best hotel on the resort, second only to the actual Disneyland hotel. It is given a Disney four star rating and is a five minute walk maximum from the Disney Village and parks. This is my review of the hotel.

First appearances

We had got a VEA shuttle bus in to the resort as opposed to a taxi and as we arrived on resort we dropped at most other hotels before our own! When we arrived we were immediately excited as the hotel looked grand with a yellow New York taxi parked outside! The hotel is colourful and designed to look like sky scrapers in New York and I do think it has quite an authentic look. From the outside we were impressed as some of the other hotels we dropped off at in the resort did look quite tired.

We had to pass our luggage through a security check point where they could scan it before we went in to the hotel which was something that we soon became used to when we were in Disneyland as you needed to pass your handbag through a scanner each time you entered the park! We were then greeted by some really smartly dressed porters who offered to take our cases in to the hotel but we just pulled them in ourselves initially.

When we walked in to the hotel I think both my friend and I were completely bowled away by how grand the hotel looked. The hotel was decorated in a really grand style with art deco accessories and all of the staff around were dressed smartly. I immediately felt it was the most luxurious hotel I had ever stayed in but given that when I travel I tend to opt for Travelodges and such like!

Checking in

Checking in was a really quite simple process and the receptionists had good enough English to be able to deal with us effectively and explain all of the different vouchers that they were giving us for park access, breakfast and the like. We were given our room keys and then a porter came along to take our luggage in a seperate lift whilst we got the normal lift up to our rooms.

The room

There are 563 rooms in the hotel New York and so it is quite a large hotel but it doesn't feel too inpersonal. The corridors all look the same in the hotel and whilst there are signs saying which rooms are down which it is easy to get a bit lost whilst you are looking for your room!We were on the second floor and what was great was we were given adjoining rooms and so whilst we had seperate rooms we also had a door inbetween our rooms so that we could open that one and have access to both rooms if we wanted to just let the children have full access to both rooms which was handy.

When we walked in to our rooms again we were totally blown away. We had seen pictures on trip advisor and the like but I was still amazed at how wonderful the rooms were! Our room was a really good size and there were large windows on the far side of the room. We didn't have a view of the rink or the lake but some rooms do have these and you will pay extra for them when booking. We decided not to bother with this given we could see them easily anyway! The windows had good quality thick curtains across them and a voile type curtain too so there was plenty to block out the light in the mornings which was a bonus.

The rooms had two double beds in each with a green coloured Disney printed bed spread on which just added to the magic of the Disney experience. My friends have since told me they didn't get that kind of bedding in the cheaper hotels so it was nice to know it was quite a luxurious touch although we were paying a lot for it! We had a cabinet in the room which had a television in with various channels in various languages as well as the Disney channel too. When we walked in and switched it on there was a welcome message with our names on which was a nice personalised touch. There was a cabinet next to the television with the mini bar but we didn't touch this knowing that everything is always really over priced!

There was plenty of wardrobe space in the rooms as well as drawers, a dresser, mirror and such like. There was also an ironing board and an iron in the room which was unexpected and I never used them but it is useful to know I think. Inside the wardrobe there is also a small safe which we used for my son's DS whilst we were there. It is a shame the wardrobe wasn't lockable really as my friends daughter had a teddy stolen from the room by the cleaners and whilst we went down to the concierge desk to complain and they managed to get it back it was still really annoying and left us feeling worried about any belongings we may have left out and so we kept on locking things in our suitcases using our padlocks for the airport.

The bathroom was really nice and bright and a great size. We had a bath and a shower in there. The bath was impossible to fill though and so showering was best. We had two sinks in the bathroom with a large mirror and there was little Disney themed soap,shower gel and shampoo left two of the mornings we were there. We of course took them as souvenirs! There is a hairdryer attached to the wall in the bathroom which wasn't wonderful but adequate for the one time I washed my hair at Disneyland.

The whole room was really clean and I was impressed with that. There is nothing worse than a dirty room and to be honest I would have been furious if the room was a mess when we had paid a lot of money to stay there. It cost us around £500 for the hotel and bearing in mind we got a "buy two get two nights free" deal at the hotel it was a lot of money really.

We ordered room service one night and it felt as though it was a really indulgent thing to do! We ordered hot chocolate for my son and I and it cost five euros and there was enough for a couple of small cups each and we were also given a plate of biscuits as well! Obviously you can include a small tip when it is taken to your room!

Breakfast

You book a breakfast time when you check in to the hotel but you are advised you can change this should you want to. We booked for 10am as we felt it would be best to have a couple of hours in the park with the magic hours we go and then come back for breakfast.

Breakfast was served in the Manhattan restaurant and there were staff there to seat you when you arrived and then it was self serve. The tables were laid with cloths and the chairs were soft and comfortable. It felt luxurious again in the restaurant and there were nice views of woodlands from the area.

There was both cooked breakfasts available and the continental pastries and cereal as well. We tended to stick to the continental breakfast and toast and I really enjoyed the croissants! There were little pots of jam and nutella packs available to pop on your pastries or toast. My son loved being able to head up to the breakfast area and help himself to the foods and we all made sure we stocked up well at breakfast because food was expensive in the park and so we tried to make do with breakfast then snacks before having a main meal in the evening.

Fruit juice, coffees and such like were available for drinking and were of a good quality.

Generally in the hotel

There was a meeting point in the hotel near the Manhattan restaurant where each morning up until lunch time there was a rotation of characters coming and you could queue and meet them and take pictures. This was such a great idea and I think they do it in all of the hotels but it is so much calmer than when you see characters in the main parks! There was a yellow taxi in the background for the photos in line with the New York theme. There was usually a staff member around to control the queing for the characters too which was great.

There is a small shop in the hotel which although isn't going to stock everything it is much quieter than the larger shops in the park and did have a good selection of items. We spent our last evening picking things up from this shop and spending the last Euros that we had.

The hotel boasts a children's "play" area and this was the most disappointing part of the hotel. Basically there was just a television in there and a car the children could sit in! Thankfully we only sat in here for a little while after checking out but it was a let down really. There is also a bar in the hotel for those who fancy a drink after the end of a busy day!

The hotel has a concierge desk where you can order taxi's, make restaurant reservations and such like and generally seek advice. When we were there my friends daughter developed conjunctivitis and we needed to head in to Paris to find a pharmacy and they were really helpful telling us where to get the train and where to go to exactly find the pharmacy. They were also helpful when my friends daughters teddy was stolen and the female member of staff called the cleaners and then went down there herself to get it back.

Outside of the hotel there is an ice rink in the winter season which overlooks the lake Disney. We would have loved to have a skate but there was nothing to help the children skate and so we felt it wasn't a good idea! In the summer months though this is an outside swimming pool. There is also an indoor pool and gym in the hotel but we didn't head over to that because we were much too busy. This particular hotel has conference facilities though and so is used for a lot of business meetings and such like and so I would imagine the gym is used more by people like that.

Overall

We loved our stay at the hotel New York and were really impressed by it. Obviously the cleaner stealing was off putting but this could have happened in any hotel in the resort I would have thought! The hotel was clean and grand and we felt quite special staying there which I think is important in the Disney experience.

The fact that the hotel is just a short walk from the Disney village meant that we could pop back to the rooms in the middle of the day if the children were tired, or cold and just chill out for a little while before heading back out. I would certainly stay in this hotel again and would recommend it. It is obviously expensive and I do think it depends on how you look at it because as you aren't in the room loads at Disneyland some may see it as an unnecessary expense but we found the location ideal for us and it made our experience more enjoyable as we weren't waiting for shuttle buses to get to and from the park!

Thank you for reading my review!

This review was read 1978 times and was rated at

• chrisandmark_is_here published 17/05/2013
    Super review hun, I still can't believe you didn't nick a bedspread though... ;) x
  • cha97michelle published 16/05/2013
    great review. would love to do Disney.
  • danielalong published 16/05/2013