Distance Learning Centre

Review of "Distance Learning Centre"

published 13/05/2014 | ladyofcampfires
Member since : 11/07/2012
Hi :) 22 year old student living in the West Midlands. Thank you for all the reads and rates :)
Pro Flexibility, excellent tutors, wide range of courses offered, ucas help.
Cons Cost.

"It's never too late!"

When I left High School I decided I didn't want to go to university. Current fees are ridiculous and graduates are not exactly swimming in job offers at the moment. I didn't want to get myself into debt that I'd probably never fully pay off and not even get the job I wanted out of it. So I went straight into work and, four years later, decided I definitely needed to go to university after all! I tried my hand at many jobs and never found anything I even remotely liked. I had my heart set on conservation work but I was never getting into that without the relevant qualifications. So I decided I was going to uni. Unfortunately I had no A-Levels so couldn't actually get into university...

Access to Higher Education

An Access course is a one year level 3 course. It's designed for people aged 19+ who want to go to university but don't have the formal entry requirements. Providing you get the grades needed completion of this course will give you those entry requirements.

Access courses are available in a wide range of subjects to suit pretty much any degree you plan on completing and I quickly decided this would be the best route for me to take. Unfortunately, none of my local colleges were offering Access courses in the subject I needed. Fortunately I discovered Distance Learning Centre.

To complete an Access course you do need GCSE's in English, Mathematics, ICT and, for some courses, Science at a grade C or above. These qualifications need to have been gained within the last ten years.

Distance Learning Centre

Distance Learning Centre (www.distancelearningcentre.com) offer a wide range of Access courses for students to complete online. They offer fourteen courses including nursing, midwifery, social work, public services and teaching. I enrolled on the biomedical science.

As well as Access courses, Distance Learning Centre also offer GCSE's in Mathematics, English Language, Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

Price

A full Access Course costs £922 and, unfortunately, there is no financial help available. However, Distance Learning Centre allows you to pay for these fees as you go along so you don't need a grand just sitting around doing nothing!

It costs £30 to enrol and, from enrolment, you have exactly one year to complete the course. The course can then be paid for in equal instalments of £81.10 a month making it much more affordable.

Studying

You are assigned to tutor once you have enrolled who can be communicated with via e-mail and phone during normal 'office hours'. You're given a list of modules you can take for your course and their credit value. You need to complete 45 credits to gain the qualification so it's up to your what modules you take and how you reach the 45 credit total.

Each module has its materials and its assignment. These can all be found on the Distance Learning Centre website. You tell you tutor which module you want to do and they'll send you the passwords needed to open these documents. The materials are basically your lessons. An introduction to the module and information you need to know. Once you've worked through these materials you can move on to the assignment. Complete and submit the assignment and move onto the next module. It's as simple as that really.

My Experience

I've just completed my Access course with Distance Learning Centre and have found it to be a thoroughly enjoyable experience. My tutor was always easy to get hold of, offered me help whenever it was required and always marked my work in good time. She'd e-mail me once a week to see how I was getting on and always include her phone number in the e-mail in case I wanted to communicate that instead. Basically, she was just always very welcoming and helpful.

I found the materials for each module more than useful. They were all well written, presented in an easy to read way and contained the basic information I needed for each assignment. Whilst I did need to conduct my own research as well for my assignments the materials always gave me a good starting point for that research and I suspect this is done deliberately to get you used to conducting research when you move onto university.

Likewise the assignments were interesting and varied. Some would require one long essay on a certain subject whilst others would be five or six questions requiring shorter answers presented in tables and power point presentations etc.
I've certainly come away from the course feeling like I've learnt plenty of new information which has made me feel much more confident about going to uni in September.

I really enjoyed the freedom I was given through completing the course online. I got to choose what modules I wanted to do and when I wanted to do them. I suspect had I completed this course at a college I'd have completed the modules I was told to complete and completed them when I was told to complete them. I was able to continue working as usual too as distance learning offers complete flexibility allowing me to study as and when I could.

A year is more than enough time to complete the course in my opinion. I completed the course in eight months so I could meet the completion deadline needed to gain access to uni this September. Despite finishing the course four months earlier than I could have, I never found the work load too heavy or stressful. I took between two and three weeks for each module and never felt rushed. I was able to study at a steady, manageable pace.

There are, however, a few downsides to Distance Learning Centre. The most obvious one being the cost. Whilst £81.10 a month does make it more manageable to pay for it still isn't going to be doable for everyone. Despite actually finishing all my work I wasn't awarded the qualification until the full fees had been paid off meaning towards the end of the course I had to really tighten the belt so I could pay extra and meet the deadline for this years uni applications. Thankfully I was able to do this, had I not then I would have had to wait another year before going to uni.

One little thing that really got my nerves was that I had to sign a form every time I submitted an assignment. Because I had to sign it by hand I had to print out the form, sign it and then scan it back into my computer to e-mail my tutor. I really wished a digital signature could have been accepted as that just felt like a complete waste of paper, ink and time.

These are, however, the only real negative points I can make. Distance Learning Centre even help you with your ucas application. My tutor read through my personal statement and gave me a reference which I can only assume was a good one as all five of my choices gave me a conditional offer.

I enrolled on the course so I could go to uni. I now have a place on the Animal Science and Ecology degree course at Worcester University which I will be starting in September. For that reason alone I can't really say much bad about Distance Learning Centre, they delivered what they promised to deliver and that's all you can really ask for.

• Secre published 09/04/2015
    Interesting read
  • StewwyB published 09/12/2014
    Good stuff
  • anonymili published 15/05/2014
    I think the fees are actually quite extortionate considering you're not attending a full time course. Everyone's out to make a huge profit these days and it's a shame these courses aren't more accessible to everyone via lower prices.

Product Information : Distance Learning Centre