Distressed Gentlefolk - Jazz Butcher (The)

Distressed Gentlefolk - Jazz Butcher (The)

Review of "Distressed Gentlefolk - Jazz Butcher (The)"

published 28/03/2006 | earlofaldgate
Member since : 05/02/2006
Pro nothing special (the song)
Cons couple of patchy songs
Originality
Quality and consistency of tracks
Cover / Inlay Design and Content
Lyrics

"alan mcgee knows his stuff"

Alan McGee and a number of people in France, America and The Music Business have called this one a "classic album". I would disagree, i find it patchy but when its good its good. For those not in the know, the jazz butcher, pat fish & max eider, have been churning out records for 23 years now starting with the jumbled but amusing mess of bath in bacon & now have 4 or 5 compilatin albums out.The early records are very hard to find, especially on glass.Alan mcgee was a fan , he signed them, they dont make enough money, he loses them.

the musical style is difficult to define, theyre a bit of everything really.If you have broad musical taste & are open minded there will be a song for you somewhere on his albums.

I found Distressed gentlefolk in 1989 the day after seeing him perform for the first time, luckily on glass label, but when i got the record home i convinced myself that i had bought something by the wrong band.The musical styles on his records are so diverse that falling in love & who loves yo now? , the first tracks on both a & b sides, had me thinking i had bought something by a different group.

Big bad thing set the record straight though, this was pat at his maddest so far (at least to my ear) vhat you vant? questions and answers/dont ask me what this is about, i have no idea.Buffalo shame is a totally different kettle of fish though.The intro makes me feel like a buffalo, i cant explain it, the lyrics kick in & pat becomes a buffalo telling his story.

I am a big fan of songs that speed up owards the end, stop and then start again so nothing special takes the top slot for me, a great sing along number as is angels(more stop start & the number robbie williams probably wishes he'd writen instead of his anthem)

difficult to pigeonhole and always morphing with every release, this is early pat, unmissable in my opinion but still patchy.One day the whole world will hear of his songwriting skills and tthis will become even harder to locate.

sample of lyrics from hungarian love song -

I know it's bad dear, to say the least
This bloody nonsense between the West and East
You shouldn't take it quite so hard
You've got a butter mountain in your back yard
Just call me and we can feast
And if you need me, girl I'm always there
Just take my bones out, remove the hair
And if you call out I'll catch you later
I'll be waiting in your refrigerator
Diced into neat little squares
'Coz the best thing for you is a gigantic stew
It's the answer to all your despair
Oh girl, don't try to be tender
Just make with the blender I
want you to know that I care

Anyone wanting to hear more should go for fishcotheque on creation, a much more rounded and balanced album that demonstrates his skills more

if you sign up to the mailing list at http://www.jazzbutcher.com/htdb responses are generally from Pat himself, which is a nice touch.

offers "Distressed Gentlefolk - Jazz Butcher (The)"