Review of "Do you have any coping strategies for the cold, dark mornings and long winter evenings?"

published 27/11/2017 | 2mennycds
Member since : 28/08/2015
Pro Good intentions, more time on my hands now
Cons Need self-discipline to keep it up!

"Putting the time to good use?"

2 many CDs! overflow

I confess to preferring spring to autumn, by a long way. Spring promises longer days to come, and the tantalising possibility of warmer weather; autumn promises shorter days and the potential for bad weather, possibly even with disruptive or damaging results.

This year is an exception!

Having retired from 34 years’ service in local government this July I’m now working part-time, four and a half hours per day each weekday. After three months of not working, I’m very content. My income is part-way between my current superannuation pension and my former salary; equally importantly, I have a routine that makes me value my “spare” time, but have three hours per day additional spare time than I had previously. This extra time will give me several STRATEGIES FOR COPING WITH COLD, DARK MORNINGS AND LONG WINTER EVENINGS...

CD collection

My CD collection has outgrown its storage space. Worse than this, some of them are becoming hard to find in the “overflow”. A bit like looking for an elusive file at work, I can waste time hunting for this or that title.

Project number one is to empty my CD racks and re-load, prioritising my “folk” albums (about a third of my nearly 400-title collection), and leaving gaps for future additions! I’ll then try to rationalise the storage of the rest of my collection.

In addition, some of my card-sleeved albums (a plague upon such things!) will be rehomed in jewel cases to protect their original packaging (some of which are autographed), which I’ll then store in a separate box. I’ll type up labels and tracklistings for these re-homed albums. Yes, I know – I should get out more, but with shorter days…

Photos

I love taking photographs, especially when on holiday. Over the last three years I’ve been suffering from a measure of anxiety/stress. It’s been mild compared to what some folk fall prey to, but it’s been bad enough.

It affected me in various irrational ways, including clouding activities that should have been pleasurable with anxiety and frustration.

Something as mundane as choosing which photographs to keep and which to discard (I often take several similar ones for optimum results) could become a major issue. Irrational, I know, but that’s how it was.

I’ve made a start on my 2016 photos now. I’m old-fashioned enough to enjoy displaying holiday photos as hard copies in an album, and often crop them with a paper cutting device to improve the composition and add interest with differently sized and shaped photos on a page. I’m a good way through that year’s now, having finally become able to accept that if I can’t decide which of two photos is the better, I just need to choose one and be done with it!

Semi-retirement has made a huge difference to my frame of mind, and the limited scope of activity that short days offer is an incentive to get on with this overdue task!

House clearance

My mother went into hospital (for the third time since the end of April!) in August, and from there she went into residential care. Her house is up for sale. Most of the furniture has now been cleared, along with the majority of personal items.

The shorter days and inclement weather are an opportunity to clear the garage, and the last few odds and ends. When a buyer does materialise, there will be no pressure to empty the house.

Musical instruments

The busy-ness of the last few months has seen me neglecting my guitar playing. Oddly, the three months that I wasn’t working continued this trend. Partly this was due to my lack of routine and, if I’m honest, a lack of discipline through having too much time on my hands.

It’s too dark to be out in the garden first thing, and anyway there isn’t much that can be done at this time of year!

Mrs M leaves for work at about 7.30 a.m., and I don’t need to leave until about 9.30, so I’ve started giving an hour before work to regain my guitar fluency and hopefully to get to better grips with my Irish whistle, and the rather nice ukulele I bought with my retirement grant. Long may this discipline continue!

De-cluttering

I don’t know how Mrs M copes with my untidiness at home sometimes! We also still have a lot of our children’s stuff, especially books, even though they have left home. Some serious sorting out is a lot better than moping about the shorter daylight hours and bad weather!

Visits to Mum

The shorter days and worsening weather are an opportunity to visit my mum more often than I used to manage, while still leaving part of Saturdays free to get outside. I can now visit on a weekday afternoon and leave the evening free to spend with Mrs M. I can go straight from work and be there at about 3.45, come away after half an hour, and still be home in good time for tea.

Wedding preparations

My son got married in June. My daughter is due to marry in February. She and her fiancé are doing most of the organising themselves, but Mrs M and I are in charge of the invitations. I also have a speech to prepare – and am looking forward to delivering it, though I know I’ll be nervous and emotional. I have a few embarrassing ideas up my sleeve already…!

Normally I’m like a caged lion if I can’t get out much; thankfully this autumn sees me furnished with several projects to keep me ticking over until the spring!

• Mac83 published 04/12/2017
    E rev :)
  • RICHADA published 29/11/2017
    Surprising commonalities between us here - sadly, having built a CD rack capable of holding somewwhere close to 700 CD's, Mrs R has anout 150 strewn upstairs in her workroom meaning that the others are now out of order anyway........ I keep far more control over the photographs though, catalogued (as are the CD's) but stored on two PS3's, the latter of which contains some 45,989 photographs on its 1TB memory. Even more time on our hands very soon with the passing of Ciao - just at the wroong time of year too - no gardening! R.
  • IzzyS published 29/11/2017
    Good review.

Product Information : Do you have any coping strategies for the cold, dark mornings and long winter evenings?

Listed on Ciao since: 22/11/2017

Do you have any coping strategies for the cold, dark mornings and long winter evenings? - Review - Putting the time to good use?
Home > Ciao Caf > Current Debate > Do you have any coping strategies for the cold, dark mornings and long winter evenings? > Reviews

2mennycds 4

2mennycds

About me: Best wishes to all, and thanks for your kind rates and comments, have been half-expecting the latest announcement for at least the last year. Have thoroughly enjoyed being a member over the last couple of years or so.

Member since:28.08.2015

Putting the time to good use?

27.11.2017

Advantages:
Good intentions, more time on my hands now

Disadvantages:
Need self - discipline to keep it up !

31 Ciao members have rated this review on average: very helpful See ratings
  1. Mac83
  2. RICHADA
  3. Chippytarka
  1. IzzyS
  2. Angela150
  3. jb0077

This year is an exception!

Having retired from 34 years service in local government this July Im now working part-time, four and a half hours per day each weekday. After three months of not working, Im very content. My income is part-way between my current superannuation pension and my former salary; equally importantly, I have a routine that makes me value my spare time, but have three hours per day additional spare time than I had previously. This extra time will give me several STRATEGIES FOR COPING WITH COLD, DARK MORNINGS AND LONG WINTER EVENINGS...

CD collection

My CD collection has outgrown its storage space. Worse than this, some of them are becoming hard to find in the overflow. A bit like looking for an elusive file at work, I can waste time hunting for this or that title.

Project number one is to empty my CD racks and re-load, prioritising my folk albums (about a third of my nearly 400-title collection), and leaving gaps for future additions! Ill then try to rationalise the storage of the rest of my collection.

In addition, some of my card-sleeved albums (a plague upon such things!) will be rehomed in jewel cases to protect their original packaging (some of which are autographed), which Ill then store in a separate box. Ill type up labels and tracklistings for these re-homed albums. Yes, I know I should get out more, but with shorter days

Photos

I love taking photographs, especially when on holiday. Over the last three years Ive been suffering from a measure of anxiety/stress. Its been mild compared to what some folk fall prey to, but its been bad enough.

Something as mundane as choosing which photographs to keep and which to discard (I often take several similar ones for optimum results) could become a major issue. Irrational, I know, but thats how it was.

Ive made a start on my 2016 photos now. Im old-fashioned enough to enjoy displaying holiday photos as hard copies in an album, and often crop them with a paper cutting device to improve the composition and add interest with differently sized and shaped photos on a page. Im a good way through that years now, having finally become able to accept that if I cant decide which of two photos is the better, I just need to choose one and be done with it!

House clearance

Musical instruments

The busy-ness of the last few months has seen me neglecting my guitar playing. Oddly, the three months that I wasnt working continued this trend. Partly this was due to my lack of routine and, if Im honest, a lack of discipline through having too much time on my hands.

Its too dark to be out in the garden first thing, and anyway there isnt much that can be done at this time of year!

Mrs M leaves for work at about 7.30 a.m., and I dont need to leave until about 9.30, so Ive started giving an hour before work to regain my guitar fluency and hopefully to get to better grips with my Irish whistle, and the rather nice ukulele I bought with my retirement grant. Long may this discipline continue!

De-cluttering

I dont know how Mrs M copes with my untidiness at home sometimes! We also still have a lot of our childrens stuff, especially books, even though they have left home. Some serious sorting out is a lot better than moping about the shorter daylight hours and bad weather!

Visits to Mum

Wedding preparations

My son got married in June. My daughter is due to marry in February. She and her fianc are doing most of the organising themselves, but Mrs M and I are in charge of the invitations. I also have a speech to prepare and am looking forward to delivering it, though I know Ill be nervous and emotional. I have a few embarrassing ideas up my sleeve already!

Normally Im like a caged lion if I cant get out much; thankfully this autumn sees me furnished with several projects to keep me ticking over until the spring!

Pictures
Do you have any coping strategies for the cold, dark mornings and long winter evenings? 2 many CDs! overflow
2 many CDs! overflow

Write your own review Report a problem with this reviews content

Mac83 04.12.2017 20:23