Review of "Doing Your Research Project by Judith Bell"

published 31/12/2011 | panandtilt
Member since : 25/05/2006
I'm a mum to two teenagers and married for nearly 23 years. Love writing and reading. Work as a teacher in a special needs school for primary aged children.
Pro Great guide for any researcher
Cons pretty cramped, could be better in A4 format
Type of Book
Quality of Text
Interesting/Absorbing?
Logical Layout?

"Doing Your Research project by Judith Bell"

This book is a useful introduction to writing a research paper; it contains comprehensive information which would help to guide you through the whole process. It is written well using a brief but detailed overview of the process and encourages you to do certain tasks on finishing each chapter. It cannot be relied on fully as an authoritative guide to researching for a paper but if used in conjunction with other prominent authors in this field it would form a basis to start writing from. The author has written a small but interesting and informative paragraph on action research where it is suggested that action research theories are ‘not validated independently and then applied to practice. They are validated through practice’ (p.9). I liked this point, it helped me to sum-up the purpose of action research.
In my research project the use of observation will be a prominent part of my data collection. The chapter written on observation was very informative and drew my attention to the fact that it wasn’t going to be as simple as looking and recording. ‘Careful planning and piloting’ (p.156) are essential to getting this important part of my research right before I begin.

• a-true-ben published 31/12/2011
    Helpful review, thanks, though I'd still like to know more, in particular what level this book is aimed at (undergraduate research paper or PhD thesis, or both?) The more information you include in your reviews, the better ratings you'll get.

Product Information : Doing Your Research Project by Judith Bell