Dom Sebastião Restaurant, Lagos

Dom Sebastião Restaurant, Lagos

Portuguese Restaurant - Address: Rua 25 de Abril 20-22 8600-763

Review of "Dom Sebastião Restaurant, Lagos"

published 28/12/2011 | Praski
Member since : 17/01/2009
Pro Top service, excellent food, nice setting
Cons Can get busy in summer
Standard of Menu
Atmosphere
Standard of Service
Cleanliness

"A top restaurant in the heart of Lagos"

Restaurante Dom Sebastiao is a traditional Portuguese restaurant situated in the heart of Lagos on Rua 25 de Abril. This is the street that has quite a few top restaurants so makes the choice of dining out in the evening a difficult one.

Whenever we had visitors to the Algarve I always used to take them to this restaurant mainly because I liked the cosy decor inside as well as the indoor and outdoor terraces and I always knew the food would be of a very high standard.

Inside the decor is very traditional with rough plastered walls full of hand painted Portuguese plates. Tables and chairs are made from oak and very heavy, always adorned with crisp, linen cloths. The floor is made from polished stone cobbles and is very effective. There are quite a lot of arches and traditional tapestries. On one floor there are tanks of fish - you can choose which species you want to eat. Not something I have ever done but I know some people like to do this. Special hand made ceramic lights are a main feature in the restaurant which are very attractive to look at but I find the light a little too harsh for my eyes and much prefer candlelight or a more mellow light.

Waiter service is of a high standard and quite formal in this restaurant which is quite nice as you are made to feel special. You will find that the waiters like to converse and talk to you about the preparation of food and if you are unsure what to order they will explain about the traditional dishes. The wine list is extensive and there is an underground cellar where visitors can visit.

Out of the traditional dishes which I have over the years tried all of them, I think a clam cataplana is worth trying. This is a dish that is cooked in its own special cataplana pot. It is a stew made from seafood with lots of Portuguese olive oil - this is necessary to soak your bread in. Other ingredients are fresh clams, pieces of pork loin, paprika, onion, white wine and plenty of garlic. The waiter will bring the cataplana dish over to the table with a plate underneath it. It is always piping hot and full of flavour. Terracotta ceramic bowls are also brought so you can serve the stew into separate bowls and this is served with rice, potatoes or just slices of bread. The meal is delicious with rice but my favourite way is just with bread.

Fresh tuna with onions is another favourite dish of mine. The tuna steaks are enormous - one will fill an entire plate. Portuguese really know how to cook fresh tuna - I love it here as it is just soft enough so it flakes away and not too tough or dried out. The onions are sweet and cooked in a gravy which has a touch of Moscatel added. This is a very simple dish served with boiled potatoes and fresh salad. It may be simple but very wholesome.

My husband's favourite dish is always Portuguese Steak. It's always exciting when this comes to the table as it is sizzling away in the ceramic pot. Basically this dish consists of a large piece of steak which is cooked on top of the stove with sliced potatoes and garlic and olive oil added to it. When the steak is cooked the chef adds a fried egg which sits on top of a piece of Presunto ham. The dish is served piping hot. This is a very tasty dish and served in many Algarvian restaurants but here in Dom Sebastiao's it is the best.

Portions are plentiful so be careful not to eat too many of the starters which I have forgotten to mention but feel I should. This is a special part of the evening when eating at Dom Sebastiao as the starters are beautifully presented and really delicious. Olives; black and dressed in olive oil and lots of garlic, cheese from the Alentejo, carrots cooked with coriander and garlic and then drizzled with olive oil, chourico fried until it is crispy round the edges but soft and spicy in the centre. All scrumptious especially when eaten with fresh, warm rolls.

When you have eaten all of this do you think you will have space for a dessert? Well, I don't always have but I try to make room. Try some Don Rodrigo - a funny cake shaped like a salami but when sliced is full of gooey, sweet things like pumpkin jam, cinnamon, sweet egg strings and almonds. Chocolate mousse is popular and very creamy or try a piece of soft almond and honey cake.

When desserts are out of the way we usually settle down with a cup of coffee and a small brandy or glass of port. New visitors to the restaurant are always given a complimentary drink which can be port or Medronho.

So that's the run down on Dom Sebastiao in Lagos. A very large restaurant, very traditional, excellent food and service. Price; you are looking at £25 for a three course meal with wine for two people. It is a little more expensive than some of the traditional restaurants but worth it. You don't have to leave a tip as the service charge is included in the bill but I am sure the waiters will appreciate it if you do. 10% is the normal amount to leave. I don't always tip when I go back to visit - a lot of visitors think they have to. If the service and food is good then I generally leave a tip. There are no parking facilities as the restaurant is situated in a pedestrianised area but there is a large car park in the centre of Lagos and parking is available at the side of the Avenida dos Descrobimentos, facing the Marina. Credit cards are accepted. Reserving a table isn't necessary although during August it would be wise to book a table as this is the Algarve's busiest month.

I do recommend this restaurant and think it is one of the restaurants in Lagos town that every visitor to the town should try just to get a touch of Algarvian authenticity.

Sorry, I don't have any photos of this restaurant or if I do I can't find them.

• doriee.jay published 02/01/2012
    great review
  • Jake_Speed published 30/12/2011
    This makes the Quorn nuggets I had for my tea tonight look a bit threadbare.
  • tallulahbang published 29/12/2011
    Normally this review would have made me hungry but I'm chock-full of Quality Street! xx