Review of "Domestos Bleach"

published 14/11/2017 | beautybuff
Member since : 22/03/2014
Enjoying life, busy working full time and having fun with my family and always on the lookout for new beauty innovations!
Pro you know where you are with bleach
Cons need to control where it goes!
Do you need to use much for each clean?
Irritable to skin?
Longlasting effects?

"That clean smell..."

When my now husband and I first moved in together, one of his first observations on me was that he thought I was obsessed with bleach. I think on our first supermarket shop I bought loads of the stuff, for the toilets in the house and general cleaning duties. Prior to living with him I had lived in a dirty student hole with other beasts and the only thing we cleaned with was bleach and so this was really all I knew.

My choice of cleaner
For general cleaning in bathrooms I tend to use a big bottle of Domestos bleach, watered down or sometimes neat and this tends to result in clean sinks, showers and drains. I must admit I find the bottles with angled necks easier for using down the toilet but I always have this strong concentrated bleach in for heavy duty cleaning tasks. I am not really bothered about getting nice smelling products as for me the cleanest smell is bleach anyway!

In use
I always don the rubber gloves before using this product as it is really strong and not kind to hands and it can be lethal if you get it in your mouth or eye. Now we have children, I make sure it is not accessible to little hands and always keep it out of reach. In the kitchen I use bleach to clean the sink and soak any kitchen cloths. When we mop the floor which is a laminate wood, I use this in the water to make sure the floor is germ free too. I use the bleach watered down for cleaning outside the house, doors and windowsils and any other dirty jobs that require cleaning in the garden, for example when I strip our vaccum cleaner down and clean the inside of the Dyson dirt collector. The Domestos bleach is mainly used in the bathroom though which makes our white tiles, sink, bath and shower nice and shiny. We regularly bleach the toilet using Domestos with the squirty lid.

What's it like?
Used neat, this bleach is really thick and is great for tackling any stains in the sink or shower floor. I usually water it down for cleaning and a big bottle lasts ages. For me the best bit is the smell though, I love the smell of bleach, it is such a clean smell to me and I think it is far nicer than any floral counterparts!

Price
You can buy Domestos in all sorts of shapes and sizes. The big two litre bottle (pictured by this review) retails in Tesco for £3 which is reasonable as it lasts ages. A smaller 750 'toilet style' Domestos with a squirty top retails at £1.75 and you can sometimes pick up multiple items for a discount. The bleach comes in different formulas like lime and coloured bottles but my preference is for the original formula.

My thoughts
Having young children and pets is always something that will make dirt seem more dangerous in your house so it's important to use the right cleaning products to stay on top of things. I favour the Domestos brand, especially for cleaning and have always got a bottle in the house. It is vital to wear gloves when using this product though and be careful about skin contact as it is strong and can damage skin and eyes not to mention the horrific thought of it being swallowed. Another thing to beware of is if it gets on clothing neat it can ruin things and rots away the colour, I must admit my husband's favourite tshirt was bleached by accident when I threw a flannel in the laundry basket that was covered with bleach (not thinking), I don't think he has ever forgiven me for that!

Final word
Whilst there are a lot of other cleaning products on the market which I have tried over the years, I always return to Domestos bleach as my staple product. My husband has his own favourites in the cleaning lines and I do buy shop's own bleach sometimes when it is on offer so I do use other brands but as Domestos is not that expensive to start off with I don't mind paying a bit extra really.

• Soho_Black published 20/11/2017