Doro 830R/2

Doro 830R/2

Review of "Doro 830R/2"

published 23/08/2005 | Lynnie27
Member since : 15/08/2005
Pro changeable fascia panels, easy menu navigation, small size
Cons None in my opinion
Reception & Clarity of speech
Range of reception
What is the durability of this product?
Range of features
Reliability

"A landline that looks like a mobile!"

For those of you who have read my other reviews you will know that I do have quite a thing about phones! Generally it's mobile phones that my weakness is for, and I do tend to change them every few weeks - I know, I probably do need therapy!

Anyway, as mobile phones got smaller and 'prettier' I started looking at my landline phone and feeling less than satisfied so I logged onto ebay to see what was on offer. I soon came across a Doro 830R twin set and remembered seeing one of these in a gadget shop last year. I recalled being very impressed with its small size and light weight whilst thinking it sturdy and well made. One of the main things I liked though was that the phone came with interchangeable covers so a new look was possible if I got bored (and believe me, I do!). The phone set on ebay included a base unit with answer phone and an add on unit so I thought it good value for £50 (brand new) and decided to purchase.

My phones arrived quickly and when I opened the box I noticed that instead of the covers being in three colours, there were actually two extra ones giving a total of five so I could change the fascia of the phones, and also the plate that covered the base unit, to white, red, black, silver or metallic blue. There seemed to be a lot of setting up involved but actually once the fascias were clipped on and batteries were inserted, it was all done apart from getting the two units to 'talk to each other'. The second unit does not plug into a standard telephone socket but merely uses a mains lead, so it is necessary to get the phones to recognize each other and work together. The short sequence code required for this was clearly written in the manual, and in no time at all the phones were ready for use.

Actually I should point out that the manual was very informative and easy to follow and although these phones can look complicated at first, they are actually the easiest landline phones I have ever used.

The phones have two address books each (it is possible to key in different numbers in the address books of each phone if need be) so I was able to separate my friends and family from business numbers and this is very useful as with caller ID installed (available through your telephone company for a nominal fee) the phone has three different rings - one for a number not recognized, another for a telephone number stored in address book one, and yet another for numbers from address book two. Names and numbers are easy to key in and to access which is another pleasant change from other phones I have used.

I was also pleased to find that the inbuilt answer machine was easy to use. A personal message can be set up but I have left mine on default. When a message is left, a small red light flashes at the top right of the screen to alert the user and messages are easily listened to through the phone's loudspeaker. It is also a useful point that messages can be accessed from either the base unit or the additional one and can also be erased from either too.

The phones measure around 4 inches in length and 1.5 inches in width and also feature last number redial and missed call (a symbol will alert the user if there has been a missed call). The ring tones are loud enough but not annoying and the buttons are small, but easy to press.

It's been about four months now since I made my purcahse and have so far found them to be reliable and sturdy. I am very happy with the Doro 830R/2 and would recommend to anyone as I feel they are excellent value for money.

• h_o_y_f_d published 16/02/2006
    Great review! they look soo cute! :)
  • smcccc published 08/09/2005
    Nice review...........Sharon.
  • sandemp published 25/08/2005
    Sorry for the lower rating but I would have loved to know a bit about the sound/reception quality and perhaps something about battery life.

Product Information : Doro 830R/2

One of the smallest telephones available on the market. Modern and stylish design with three different colors to choose between for the telephone's exchangeable shells. Just choose and vary according to your own taste. Other advantages include the high technological and functional level, the built-in answering machine, speaker phone and caller ID, plus two phone books, and individual ringer signals. The compact design makes Doro 830R one of the tiniest phones on the market. External dimensions are only 104x47x25mm. This model is designed by Propeller - this is the award-winning Swedish designer company that created several successful Doro models. Digital answering machine is managed from the handset. Your outgoing message is recorded easily by pressing a couple of buttons, and it is just as easy to listen to incoming messages. There are two phone books plus the possibility to use individual ringer signals for your favorite numbers. Hear who is calling, or who the caller wants to speak to, without looking at the telephone. The handset two-way speaker phone is a useful function where everyone can take part in the conversation. Press the button and gather around the telephone. If you want to revert to a personal call, press the button again. This way you can speak freely without holding the handset.

Manufacturer: Doro