Dorsett Shepherds Bush, London

Dorsett Shepherds Bush, London

Review of "Dorsett Shepherds Bush, London"

published 05/10/2017 | Violet1278
Member since : 10/11/2008
I have been way for a few weeks so apologies if I have missed your reviews. Am starting the catch up!
Good
Pro Very spacious and minimalistic design
Cons Very average breakfast and some room issues
Cleanliness
Service
Facilities

"The Heart Of Shepherds Bush Ideal For Empire And Westfields."

Very attractive entrance hall

Very attractive entrance hall

Dorsett Shepherds Bush London

The Dorsett Hotel is a 4 star hotel in Shepherds Bush in West London. It is an 8 storey hotel with 317 rooms and it overlooks Shepherds Bush Green. We chose this hotel for two reasons, first our son lives in Shepherds Bush, and secondly we were attending a concert at the Shepherd's Bush Empire which is literally just a few paces away. Additionally I had Avios miles and this hotel is included in their scheme so I took advantage and booked bed and breakfast.

It is a perfect location if you want to visit Westfields Shopping Centre and is close to underground stations and major bus routes.

On arrival I was impressed by the spacious modern lobby and the welcoming nature of the reception, which is well staffed as there is a lot of activity here being a large hotel. The check in procedure was quick and very friendly, and we were allocated a room on the 5th floor. Access to the lift is easy, but you do need your card to work the lift, so it is an additional security feature which appealed to me.

Initially this hotel was a grade 11 listed building know as The Pavillion, so although it has been renovated to a modern style the façade is still very much in keeping with its history and elegance. I really liked this aspect of the hotel.

The Room

On arrival at the room I was very pleased initially with the quality. We were not expecting the best rooms in the hotel being on loyalty bookings, but the room was spacious and the bathroom was of a good standard. Equipped with a fridge, free to use mobile phone which can even be used to make international calls, free Wi-Fi and a wall mounted TV of a good size this was a very comfortable space to spend time. The bathroom had a bath with shower overhead, and was spotlessly clean and very spacious. The view from the window was actually very pleasant, as although it viewed the other rooms, as the hotel has been built in a semi circle with a central atrium, it is architecturally very attractive. Care has also been taken with the room doors as they have an attractive bird decoration on each. The room was very quiet with good sound proofing and the temperature was comfortable.

Room For Improvement

I think there were several areas where I think the hotel could improve. Firstly the towels were not soft and fluffy, but on the scratchy well washed end of the spectrum, and the allocation of tea and coffee and milk sachets for two people were measly. In addition, although toiletries were supplied these were very much designed for one person and not for a couple to use. I know some of the more expensive rooms have items like bath robes which were not expected, but I think the basic allocation of the sundries was in line with a basic “Premier Inn” standard. I think the price for one night in this hotel starts from £169 or £179 with breakfast, so although London prices are inflated, I think the little touches that make a stay seem more comfortable seemed to be done in a way that was suggestive of economy, rather than creating a feeling of hospitality. It wouldn't take much to add a few extra coffees and milks, even if the price was increased slightly to cover the cost in my opinion. The shower was positioned to be at chest height and could not be adapted, so it was not possible to have a shower comfortably, even though we are both quite short in height. Additionally the water pressure was very slow to fill the bath, which was rather small given the space in the bathroom. An L shaped bath would have been a much better choice in the room. Also there was a cheap shower curtain rather than a glass screen which I thought was less than adequate.

There are many room options including suites for over £400 so maybe these rooms have better services within them. It is interesting on their website as the Dorsett room is the cheapest at around £169 which is what we purchased. The room specification was as below and I have added in my comments

Room Features & Facilities
Complimentary high-speed internet access -
37 inch LCD TV's – yes very true and a good position wall mounted
Cable TV with comprehensive local and international channels
Work desk
Docking stations
In-room tea / coffee facility (Very sparse)
In-room safe
Iron and ironing boards
Laundry and dry cleaning
Accessible rooms
Minibar ( in our case a fridge)
Slippers & Bathrobes in all Executive rooms and above
Hair dryer
Individually controlled air-conditioning

Breakfast

The bed was however very comfortable and we slept well, and so after a lazy start we headed off down to breakfast which is rather encouragingly served for many hours allowing choice and flexibility which I was impressed with. This is however where trouble began because the breakfast was chaotic, and I really felt disillusioned by the entire experience. I always look forward to a lovely hotel breakfast as I don't experience being served very often and see it as a treat. Having given our room number we were allocated a table and then just left. I wasn't sure if it was self service or what, but the couple on our left summoned the waitress asking for a clean jug as the one they were given was dirty. After a while I decided to approach the serve yourself area, which I had worked out for myself was how to proceed. It was a reasonable spread, but having chosen porridge I noticed all the add ons were empty, so no dried fruit almonds etc. The croissants were shop bought and of the cheap processed mass produced variety, the orange juice from concentrate, and the hot selection was precooked and in tureens, which is understandable due to the size of the dining brigade, but when my husband started to eat his eggs I noticed they were blue in places, which was rather strange. They weren't nice either. The tea was the main issue for me though, I had to ask the waitress for a pot of tea which appeared some minutes later with 2 mugs and no milk. There was also a lack of cutlery to use as well, which required repeated requests for this. All the staff were pleasant but they were clearly overwhelmed and not able to work the dining floor properly, and were responding to requests rather than using initiative to pre-empt needs. The breakfast experience was such that I would not look forward to this aspect of the stay again, and would probably seek to book room only. Furthermore I felt sorry for diners who had booked more expensive rooms, as they were clearly going to experience a similar breakfast.

The hotel has two restaurants and a bar as well as a gym which we are unable to review as we didn't use these at all.

Final Thoughts

In conclusion I would say that I would certainly use this hotel again as it is very convenient and clean, and we enjoyed the comfortable bed and the proximity to the concert venue. However I would not opt for the breakfast again as I think it was only an average standard, and certainly not a highlight of the experience.

• Essexgirl2006 published 18/10/2017
    Very well reviewed
  • Angela150 published 14/10/2017
    excellent review
  • jo-1976 published 13/10/2017
    Blue eggs sound disturbing!