Review of "Doubletree By Hilton Strathclyde, Bellshill"

published 23/03/2017 | angelboouk123
Member since : 01/06/2010
Busy working Mum to two boys and married to the love of my life <3
Pro spotless, tasty food, facilities, lovely rooms, health club
Cons some staff were a little rude, few issues at reception
Cleanliness
Service
Facilities

"Celebrating our special day.."

Doubletree By Hilton Strathclyde, Bellshill

Doubletree By Hilton Strathclyde, Bellshill

Doubletree By Hilton Strathclyde

After 12 years of being engaged, my fiance (now husband) and I decided to tie the knot. We didn't feel the need to splash out excessive amounts of money on one day. We wanted a civil ceremony, a buffet reception, DJ and generally a good time. Our decision to finally get married came at an ideal time as we spotted a deal for this particular hotel. The dates didn't match when we wished to get married but after contacting the hotel events manager, we were able to secure the same package for our chosen date in September 2016. This review discusses different aspects of the hotel so will likely be quite long.

General Information

01698 395500
Check-in : 3pm
Check-out : 12pm
Rating : 3 stars

This hotel has recently been rebranded as a Doubletree by Hilton Hotel. It is just 12miles from Glasgow City Centre and just off the A725 at Bellshill. It isn't ideal to get to by foot or bus but local taxi services are cheap and there is a large car park to the front and rear of the hotel. Parking is free for guests. The hotel is non-smoking throughout. Debit, credit and cash payments are welcomed. From the outside, the hotel looks really nice and the foyer area is welcoming and warm. The decor throughout the hotel is fresh, inviting and modern since it was refurbished in 2016. There is a 24hr reception.

The reception area features plenty of seating to one side and a Starbucks to the other side. The restaurant is also just off this area.As with other Doubletree hotels, a fresh cookie is offered on check-in. The ground floor offers plenty of toilets including a disabled toilet and baby changing. There are two lifts within the hotel which allow access to 111 rooms set across two floors. The hotel is wheelchair friendly. There are disabled adapted rooms, toilets and even hoists for the pool. Braille is available in the lift and alarms for those who have hearing impairments. There is a shop, restaurant and also a cash line directly across the road from the hotel. Free wi-fi is available in the public areas within the hotel.

Functions and Events

This hotel offers meeting facilities and special tribute events. The function area to the rear of the hotel can be extended inside thanks to sliding doors and is adapted to suit the party size. There is also a bar within this area and buffet section too. Weddings are quite popular here and we found the initial communication with the events manager to be really good. The hotel offers different packages but the package we booked was a party package for 80 people. Our package included a 7 item buffet, the function room hire from 6pm until 1am, a DJ, two bedrooms for the night and ten spa passes. This suited us perfectly. Additional guests could be added for £11.95 per person. We paid a £500 deposit to secure our date.

The events manager did change three times during the year. Most of our communication was done via email and telephone which I preferred as I don't drive and couldn't get down the hotel very easily to make payments. The last events co-ordinator (Stacey) that we dealt with was very helpful and friendly. I couldn't fault her. We chose to have the wedding off-site but to have it within the venue costs an additional £500. I was advised that the staff on the day would do as much to help us as possible including setting out our cake table, sweetie table, favours and also take delivery of our wedding cake.

The function room was reserved completely for us and approximately 100 guests (we did book for more but quite a few didn't actually turn up but that is another story completely! The function room was perfectly set out with many tables accommodate 8 people and covered in white table cloths. Each table featured a pretty candleabra which was also included within our package. The room looked out over the courtyard which features a lovely pond and bridge. We did get some beautiful pictures taken out there before the weather turned bad.

The wedding reception was really good but I did have some complaints which I raised. A few members of the staff weren't the most pleasant and one was quite ratty with the children within our wedding party. The gentleman running the show was pleasant but you could tell he hadn't been doing that particular job for very long. The DJ was a lot older than I expected and whilst we did get some modern songs played and also our chosen wedding songs, I would have preferred less 'old' music. He was asked to turn the music down at 11pm despite having a late license so I can only assume there had been complaints. He ended up finishing at midnight instead of 1am and disappointingly, they chose to shut the bar before midnight. A few of our guests weren't pleased and I couldn't even get a can of juice to take to our room unless I chose to order room service!

We were allowed used of the microphones for speeches and everyone enjoyed dancing and mingling. Our buffet included sandwiches and wraps, sausage rolls, pizza, duck spring rolls and a few other things that escape my memory. The food was plentiful and enjoyed by all but was taken off quite early as apparently they weren't allowed to keep it out longer so some of our later guests missed out and a lot of it ended up in the bin. Half our cake was cut up for our guests and the night was enjoyed by all. We chose to pre-order a selection of drinks for our guests to choose from on arrival. The drinks are certainly not cheap and the choice isn't as extensive as some hotels we have visited. We spent around £400 for those drinks including buckets of blue WKD, Budweiser, soft drinks and also various wines. A can of juice was £1.95 and a bucket of 6 bottles was between £20 and £28. The bar took in a lot of money that night.

We did put forward our issues with the events manager and she fed back to the hotel and we ended up receiving a complimentary stay in the hotel for a night of our choosing including breakfast and a three course dinner. In total, we spent around £2000 for our package including the extra guests and drinks. If you choose to do a set meal and get married on-site, it will cost a lot more. We could bring in our own alcohol for a rather excessive corkage fee so chose not to.

Bedrooms

We have stayed overnight at this hotel twice now (our wedding night and then a month of so later for our complimentary stay). The lifts are spacious and the rooms are easy to find. On our wedding night, we stayed in a suite overlooking the courtyard. Our room was absolutely gorgeous and really big! It featured a massive bed with a comfortable, thick mattress as well as a large sofa bed. There was plenty of space for our wedding gifts and lots of natural light thanks to two large windows. A 32inch television, free wi-fi, bathrobes, slippers, plentiful wardrobe space and lovely toiletries were also included. Our room was perfectly clean and perfect for us. We even received free chocolates, wine and water. The bathroom was modern and spacious with an inviting bath, powerful shower and plenty of towels. We couldn't fault our suite and would happily pay extra to upgrade. We slept brilliantly. This room would be ideal for a family due to the amount of space. My brother in law, his girlfriend and two young children made use of our other bedroom and ended up in a family room. They were provided with clean travel cots for the boys. A few other guests stayed with no issues to report. The rooms are bright, airy and freshly decorated with plenty of plug sockets, lighting and even a hair dryer. Basically, everything you really need for a comfortable stay.

On our second stay, we stayed over on a Saturday night and were allocated a guest room overlooking the motorway. Whilst not quite as fancy, the room was lovely and very clean. There was still room to move around well and plenty of space for our belongings. We made use of the freeview that night but pay per view movies are available. Tea and coffee making facilities are included in all bedrooms and also desk space for those who require it. We didn't stay long enough to be able to comment on maid service. Despite being at the road side of the hotel on our second stay and having the window open through the night, we didn't become disturbed by any traffic or noise from outside. We also didn't notice any noise from our neighbours. Rooms start from around £59 at this hotel depending on when you stay and how far in advance you choose to book. Two children under the age of 16 stay free using existing beds. We are attending a wedding in a nearby venue this November and plan on staying over here again.

Dining

With any Hilton, the food isn't the cheapest but you have little choice nearby without needing to travel. We have had breakfast here twice, dinner once and also made use of Starbucks. Children under five eat free with a paying adult and some packages include breakfast. Breakfast and dinner is served in 'The Space' which is a bright and pleasant area to sit in. It seems to be popular with business people. Some of the tables are a little too crammed together for my liking. The morning after our wedding, we didn't realised cooked breakfast was available as it is served behind a wall and we weren't actually told so had to make use of the pastries, toast etc that was on display. On our next stay, we made sure we made our way to the cooked section first and we were pleased with the selection of freshly cooked breakfast items on offer including sausage, bacon and egg. Cereal, fruit juice, yoghurt and fresh fruit were also available and replenished well. Breakfast is priced at £11.95 per person and is served until 10am (midweek) and 11am (weekend) if I remember correctly.

The lunch and dinner menu offers a reasonable selection of starters, mains and desserts. Drinks can be ordered at your table. The service was a little on the slow side when we dined here but the waiter was pleasant enough. As with any Hilton hotel, the food isn't exactly cheap. We were allocated a £24 amount per person which was enough to cover two courses and we topped up the rest of dessert and drinks. I'm sure we paid an extra £20 or so. The menu won't be to everyones tastes and to be honest, some of the food was a little fancy sounding for me so I opted for simple choices. Starters include pork belly, avocado gateaux and trio of melon (priced from £4.50). Main courses include salmon fillet, venison, steaks and lemon sole with various toppings and sides (priced from £12.95). Vegetarians are catered for with halloumi salad, chickpea curry and pizza. Desserts include pannacotta, sorbets and summer pudding (priced from £4.50). A childrens menu is also available.

My husband opted for the 'pint' of prawns for his main course which was literally prawns in a pint glass. The prawns still had their eyes on and had to be prepared by my husband to eat. I personally was a little bit creeped out by a prawn (which we named Pete) staring at me whilst eating. He did enjoy them though and also the side salad and dipping sauce. I opted for the leek and potato soup which was absolutely delicious and thick. It was served with a warm roll which tasted homemade and fresh. Both my husband and I opted for the classic burger for our main course as we didn't fancy anything else on the menu. Our burgers were nicely presented and the burger was very meaty and steak like. The hand cut chips were chunky and very tasty indeed and the salad on our burger was fresh and crisp. Our desserts, whilst petite, were scrummy and finished off our meal perfectly. I had the bread and butter pudding complete with Chantilly cream and dried apricots. It was warm, moist and just wonderful. My husband had the sticky toffee pudding which was equally as tasty (I tried it to confirm) and just a nice size to have after two fairly filling courses.

Whilst not the cheapest place to dine, The Space restaurant offers a great selection of food options. The food we tried was well presented and cooked to perfection so I would happily recommend it if you are in the area or staying overnight. The Starbucks, as you expect, is not cheap either and I paid £5 for a soft drink and cake!

Living Well

The hotel has an on-site health club, spa and fitness centre which can be accessed from outside and also internally from the hotel reception. Access to the health club is included in the price of your stay but you can also purchase day passes for around £20 per couple or memberships. The health club has a gym offering many classes per week and high quality equipment for those who like to work out. There is also a heated indoor pool, two jacuzzis, two saunas and also two steam rooms. Spa treatments or pamper packages can be booked and they use Elemis beauty products. The treatment menu includes massages, facial treatments, wraps, pregnancy treatments, treatments for men and plenty of other beauty treatments. They aren't cheap but I've heard they are worth the cost. £110 will get you a package including a 1hr deep tissue massage, 45min salt glow and a 30min facial as well as £10 towards food and access to the facilities.

We have made use of the health club a few times now and have had no issues with it. The staff are friendly and very helpful. Towels are provided on arrival but you need to pay extra for hiring robes or slippers. The entire health club has always been spotlessly clean when we have visited and also accessible to those in wheelchairs. It is open from from 6am midweek until 10pm and from 8am until 9pm at the weekends. The spa treatment rooms have slightly different hours and they are all on the website. Children are permitted until 8pm midweek but there are no restrictions at the weekend. Any additional requirements should be discussed with the staff.

The changing rooms are clean and spacious throughout. The showers are powerful and the lockers are spacious. Remember to take a pound for them just incase. Hairdryers and a swim suit drying machine are also available to use. The pool area itself offers a few sunbeds and seats should you wish to relax and read a book. The 20m pool isn't too deep. I am 5foot 6.5 and always had my head above water. It is fairly warm and nice to relax in or do lengths if that is what you prefer to do. The jacuzzis are lovely to relax in and create impressive bubbles but they do go on and off at random times even if someone is sitting in it so we always felt the need to move on.

We enjoyed relaxing in the pool anytime we have visited but moreso in the evenings. The sauna and steam rooms were nice and roomy so a few people could do in each at any one time. I cannot sit in there for long though as I start to feel too hot. Overall we cannot fault the health club. It has a great selection of facilities and is much more appealing than the local swimming centres. We still have vouchers to use up from our wedding before next month so will be heading down there for some R&R soon.

Final Thoughts

I would stay here again. I am pleased we chose this hotel as our wedding reception venue despite the few small issues we encountered. The hotel, in my opinion, is immaculate throughout in public areas, toilets, restaurant, bedrooms and health club. The facilities are excellent for those looking to relax or for business events and the meeting facilities are adapted well to suit both private and business functions. The majority of the staff were friendly and approachable. Nothing is particularly cheap but I don't expect it to be at a Hilton hotel. This hotel is ideal for those travelling by car as it accessible from the motorway and not too far from Glasgow. I recommend it.

Thanks for reading :)

I have provided some pictures. Most of the pictures we have are of our guests rather than the actual hotel so I have had to choose some that have the hotel facilities/features in the background rather than directly. The room shown is from our complimentary stay as I didn't manage to get any pictures of our suite on our wedding night.

• IzzyS published 12/10/2017