Review of "Doug Stanhope - Word of Mouth"

published 27/10/2004 | BMcLeish
Member since : 21/10/2004
Pro Was a great comedian...
Cons Recently has lost commentary and has become racist/offensive. CF Michael Richards
Did you enjoy it?
Story
Characters / Performances
Special Effects
Soundtrack

"What happened?"

Stanhope's earlier DVD demonstrates something he no longer displays. Social relevance. In recent shows he himself admits this shift. What used to be a more creative, yet very offensive onslaught on politics and drug fuelled stories has given way to what for all practical purposes is racial abuse and comments that no longer display skill at double meaning. Rather the comic has painted himself into a corner. Once you've done hard-edged comedy for 15 years, there's nowhere left to go but the obscene.

I have to admit I am a former fan. One that, after a fair amount of debate and thought, and not the knee-jerk reactions of some of his US public, has to admit that the present state of his avct is no longer what I bought into him for.

• BZ2886 published 25/05/2008
    I don't think this show is as bad as you say it is. Its just the same as his other stuff. I thought it was his first DVD release as well.
  • DaveBishop published 04/07/2006
    He really is an excellent stand up comedian. He is playing during in England during the Manchester Comedy Festival in October. I can't wait!
  • ElizaF published 11/05/2005
    sounds like just my cup of tea, I love rant based comedians like George Carlin so this really appeals :) xx E.