Dove Anti Prespirant Moisturising Cream Aerosol

Dove Anti Prespirant Moisturising Cream Aerosol

Deodorant - Cream

Review of "Dove Anti Prespirant Moisturising Cream Aerosol"

published 11/11/2002 | KarenUK
Member since : 08/07/2000
Busy with my toddler son and my baby grand-daughter. My new book THOUGHTS OF A NEW OLD MUM is out now, see www.lulu.com/spotlight/nhbr22476
Pro Unisex fragrance, reasonably priced, hubby likes it...
Cons Awful packaging, lots of warnings, not suitable for asthmatics!
Staying Power
How does it affect your skin?
Does it smell good?

"To Perspire Or Expire... That Is The Question..."

Well, it had to happen. I ran out of my Original Source lemon deodorant and had to find something else. Whereas I am quite happy with my Avon stick anti-perspirant, it’s rather too pink and girlie for hubby to wear.

So there I was in the local chemist, perusing the shelves. I wanted a good brand name, a unisex fragrance and a price that didn’t make me cough. Unfortunately, I ended up with a unisex brand name, a good price and a fragrance that makes me cough! Better luck next time, eh?

So, let me tell you a bit about this product, so you can make your own mind up. Dove is a well-respected brand, famous for its ¼ moisturising claims. Having dry skin, I have used Dove products before and been pleased with them – although why would anyone want wet armpits? I mean, surely that’s going against the idea of an anti-perspirant? Ho hum.

The bottle is white with a blue rounded cap and the familiar dove picture and logo. I bought the 180ml spray can in the Fresh Blue variety, which cost me £1.49.

I’m afraid this falls down at the first hurdle – I really don’t like the look and feel of the packaging. The bottle is tinny and cheap looking and cold to the touch – not the sort of thing you want to be grabbing first thing in the morning! The top comes off strangely and doesn’t seem to fit back on securely either.

Still, the small print on the bottle promises much – all day protection, moisturising, anti-perspirant, containing no alcohol and dermatologically tested. The ingredients though are all chemical sounding with various gases listed first – butane, isobutane and propane. I don’t pretend to know anything about the science involved in all this, but at least the Original Source one has essential oils and natural ingredients in it.

Reading the rest of the bottle makes me wonder just how dangerous this stuff is! There are twelve different warnings and things not to do listed here. One that seems especially daunting is the warning not to smoke – not only while using this, but even shortly afterwards! Eek. This sounds scarier than meeting John Leslie down a dark alley!

So, being very careful not to spray this near my eyes, face or on sore skin, not to spray it near painted or polished surfaces, away from children, avoiding sunlight, not near any flames or electrical appliances, only in well ventilated spaces, not for too long and away from cigarettes (Phew!), I stand in the garden, naked, in the dark, alone and briefly. Then I begin coughing.

You see, this product brings on an asthma attack, if I am not careful. The particles seem to get inside my throat and make me wheeze and need my inhaler. One time when using it, some appeared to have even got in my mouth, which was very unpleasant. You can tell when you hit your armpits though, as they become encased in white powder. (I wonder if Angus Deayton uses this?)

For the sake of this opinion, I just sprayed a bit on my armpits again, so I can describe the smell for you. I would say it is soapy, it’s not very pleasant and I wouldn’t recommend it.

So any good points? Well, hubby likes it. He doesn’t have asthma and has had no problems with it affecting him in the way it does me. The smell of it is fine for blokes to use and he seems to like it. He uses it every day and although he lamented the passing of the Original Source, he has happily taken Dove to his heart – well, chest and armpits actually.

To sum up, the price is reasonable, the bottle lasts well and it does provide good protection from stinky sweat. But if you’re wheezing away in the middle of an asthma attack, that may not be your most important consideration. Personally, I’ll breathe easily with my Avon anti-perspirant stick and leave my Dove to my love ;-)

• stepearce published 02/08/2003
    Tell hubby to get more in touch with his feminine side!! Ste xx
  • mizzame published 21/12/2002
    HAve tried this and had an awful skin reaction as a result. Not nice stuff! Mx
  • chinnyli published 16/11/2002
    Hmm just noticed Ciao can't spell perspirant! <sigh> Anyway this deodorant sounds awful, especially leaving the white stuff, yuck!