Review of "Dove Intensive Repair Regenerating Mask"

published 16/11/2011 | izzoh
Member since : 28/05/2006
:-)
Pro Instant improvement, lasts long, smells fresh and clean, not too heavy.
Cons Price.
Does it smell good?

"Intensive Care!"

Over the past couple of months I have noticed how my hair has become really quite weak. I have it up in a bun a lot to keep it out of my face and I know this is having a negative effect. My hair is long and fine, meaning it gets tangles easily. Even after using detangling combs and brushes it is still usual to have a small handful of hair come out after brushing. Because of this I specifically set out to buy a conditioner or treatment that would help my hair get a bit stronger and hopefully help it de-tangle.
I also suffer from greasy hair so quite often hair masks and oils are too heavy for my hair and make it limp. Often it looks like it hasn't even been washed! So I thought this process would be trial and error. On my first trip on this mission I came across the Dove Intensive Repair Regenerating Mask. It was new out so I thought it was worth a try.

** Dove Intensive Repair Regenerating Mask **

This intensive mask is supposed to give deep repair for damaged hair. It contains their patented Fibre Actives which is apparently supposed to reconstruct the hair from within and help to strength the hair by giving it added protein.

This mask is promises to leave my hair strong, soft and up to 10 times more resilient against future damage. Especially from combing. All in all it sounds perfect for what I am looking for!

I like the fact that this mask comes in a tub, I just find it more appealing than a bottle and it doesn't slip off the side of the bath after I have used it! It is quite a nice shaped tub, almost a bell shape! It just adds to the professional look of the mask. I already know that Dove is well known reliable brand but at times can look a little old fashioned. In this case the tub looks simple and modern.

It cost me £3.99 for a 200ml tub. Quite expensive but it really did sound perfect for my needs. If I was to buy it again I would look for offers or buy it online via cash back websites because spending that much on a hair mask is quite a lot of money. But if it worked then it would be £3.99 well spent.

**Instructions **

The directions on the bottom of the tub are as follow - Massage a generous amount on freshly cleansed hair. Leave for 3-5 minutes for best results. Rinses out easily.
Simple! Basically it works just like a normal hair condition but this one is supposed to be more intense!

**What Was It Like To Use?**

When I first opened the tub I was greeted by a smooth white pearlescent cream. It is a bit thicker than normal conditioner which explains why it doesn't come in a bottle. I scooped some up with my fingers remembering to apply a generous amount. I didn't use too much, literally a dollop, about two tablespoons... well roughly... that's the best I can describe it! I have quite long hair, so if yours was shorter you may not need as much.

It was really silky applying it on to the hair and it didn't run out like normal condition does. I used it while in the shower and after just washing my hair. So finished off my scrubbing while I let it sink in for a few minutes. I was careful not to apply it straight to the crown of my head as this is where conditioners and masks usually make my hair limp and flat. Especially as this mask was quite thick. The mask had a really nice fragrance. Quite creamy and fresh but nothing soapy or overpowering. I liked that this seemed to so far be a simple product with nothing fancy or overbearing.

As soon as I rinsed my hair, I could immediately feel how much softer my hair was. Running it under the water was almost like stroking a piece of satin. It was lovely. I could run my fingers through my hair and feel it detangle under the water. I knew this was a good sign. If it feels like that while being rinsed then it should feel great once it is dry. But the proof is in the pudding.

Combing my hair when it is wet is usually a nightmare and this is the key occasion when my hair comes out. I still used my detangling brush as always and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to brush. It was almost easy. A bit of my hair still came out, but I couldn't expect miracles on my first use. My hair felt really clean but the hardest challenge was not yet over.

After drying my hair with the hairdryer this is usually the toughest challenge as my hair completely knots itself back up again, and as I said before, if a product is too heavy them even after washing it looks greasy. So after I gave it a blast with the hair dryer I attempted to brush it again. Surprisingly once again, it brushed out pretty easily. Plus the big thing for me, my hair looked and felt clean fresh and full of life. Good Stuff! So on first use this ticked all the boxes and gave me an instant improvement in the strength, look and feel of my hair.

After using the mask about twice a week for the past 5 weeks I can honestly say that this is good stuff. I still have plenty left in the tub and because it is flat it evens itself back out ready for the next scoop. Not like in a bottle where it get stuck to the bottom.

My hair is looking very healthy and a bit fuller compared to before. The big difference is the amount of hair that comes out now when I brush it. Compared to the handful before, now there are just a few hairs which is normal and occasionally a few more if my hair has been up all day. But I can actually see that my hair is being damaged less from the brushing and in turn looking and feeling healthier.

**Recommendation**

I would recommend this for anyone who usually uses a hair conditioner. It made my hair easy to brush, stronger and a lot healthier. It basically worked the same as a normal hair conditioner but was a lot friendlier to my fine hair. It also did what it promised and rather than just being a quick de-tangle it actually made my hair stronger over time.

I have noticed that it isn't a long term fix; it will be a product that I will keep using. I went 2 or 3 washes without using it and notices by the 3rd wash my hair was starting to break slightly. Not a lot but I could see that even though my hair was stronger, it wouldn't take much for it to become fragile again.

I know the hair mask is quite purse pulling at £3.99 but it really is worth it. I have got about 1 quarter of the tub left after about 12 uses plus my mum has also used it a few times. It really strengthens the hair and smells great.

My mission is complete and quicker then what I thought. Although knowing me it won't take long before I find another promising product and give that a go!

100% Recommended.

Summary: A Great Repairing Hair Mask That Works.

• JAVER1967 published 17/11/2011
    An excellent and interesting review
  • KateHurst published 16/11/2011
    Well reviewed. I find it seems to be surprisingly difficult to find a good intensive conditioner.
  • MrBrightside1987 published 16/11/2011