Review of "Dove Pro-Age Thick and Full Conditioner"

published 04/11/2007 | sunmeilan
Member since : 05/05/2005
Not around quite so much at the moment - new job and mum getting married - will catch up when I can.
Good
Pro Hair left feeling soft, thick and conditioned
Cons No shine
Does it smell good?
What hair type is it for?

"The condition's good, but where's the shine?"

As I get older, I have become more and more cynical about the marketing that surrounds shampoos and conditioners - I find the best way to keep my hair in good condition is to use any old shampoo and a well-known brand of conditioner, which more often than not, I purchase from Poundland. This one fell into my hands because I'm currently staying with my mother and she brought it to try. Dove's recent advertising campaign for Pro Age products is very attractive - I love the idea that their campaign is targetting older women - but is there really any difference between this range and haircare products aimed at younger women? Certainly, I think the Pro Age hand and body creams are fantastic and well worth the money, but I'm still on the fence with this one.

The claim
The product is supposed to leave hair looking thicker and fuller, by means of a serum that 'wraps each hair fibre to protect your hair from breakage and prepare your hair for your styling routine'. It does not actually say that it is for older people, but rather says that 'beautiful hair has no age limit.'

I colour my hair to hide the grey; despite this and the fact that it is shoulder length, it is in pretty good condition and usually has a nice shine to it. My mother has undyed and unpermed short hair. Both of us like a bit of extra body when we can get it!

The packaging
The conditioner comes in a squeezy bottle, with the opening at the bottom. I find this type of container perfect for use in the shower. Like the rest of the Pro Age range, the container is a deep red and is certainly very easy to spot on the shelves. It contains 200ml of product, which I estimate lasts for about 12 conditions (I tend to use quite a lot though).

The product
The conditioner itself is very thick and white - very like the shampoo from the same range, but it is thicker. The smell isn't particularly noticeable - a shame I think, because I love the smell of most Dove products - but then nor is it unpleasant in any way. Not for you if you like your hair to be fragrant though.

The application
I have used the conditioner several times now; sometimes using the Pro Age shampoo first, sometimes using another brand of shampoo. A definite advantage is that it sticks easily to the hair when I run my hands coated in conditioner through my hair, unlike thinner conditioners. The instructions recommend leaving it on the hair for 1-3 minutes before rinsing; I have sometimes left it on for longer, although I haven't noticed any major differences when I have done so.

The results
I can't deny that the conditioner does as it promises in that it leaves it thick and full. After using, my hair is full of body and looks and feels soft and well-conditioned. My mother hasn't noticed any particular benefits with regard to body, although she thinks her hair is softer and more pliable when it comes to styling.

My gripe with this conditioner is that it seems to take the shine away from my hair. It doesn't exactly leave it looking dull, but the noticeable shine that I get with other conditioners is just not there. This seems odd to me because I usually equate well-conditioned hair with a shine, so quite what is in the conditioner that has this effect, I don't know. It may be that I am simply not the right age group to benefit from this conditioner (I'm 38), but then my mother, who is in her 60s, was pretty much in agreement with my findings.

The price
It currently costs £2.59 for 200ml on the Boots website.

Conclusion
I'm really on the fence with this one. It does leave my hair feeling lovely, but I really miss the shine that other conditioners give. My mother isn't overly impressed either. Both of us will continue to use it until it has gone, but I don't think that I would go out of my way to buy any more. £2.59 isn't a bad price to pay for a conditioner, but when I can get good brands that give more shine from Poundland, I just don't think that it is worth it. I would only recommend buying it if on special offer, although, of course, everyone's hair is different!

• spottydog2 published 04/11/2007
    I have just bought some of this because it was BOGOF but I haven`t tried it yet. Louise
  • plod591 published 04/11/2007
    Like the Dove products, but this is a little too late for me !!
  • nicolaks1 published 04/11/2007
    I got a bottle of the shower gel/body wash before but not overly impressed with it. There are much better products out there. Good review. Nicola x