Review of "Dr. Beckmann Rescue"

published 19/11/2003 | wardenblw431
Member since : 07/10/2002
I am back at last, been a long time coming, I know, but things have settled now we have moved and I have some time to devote to this site.
Pro NO NASTY FUMES, MAKES LIGHT WORK OF HEAVY GROUND IN DIRT
Cons CAN'T BE USED ON SELF CLEANING OVENS
Do you need to use much for each clean?
Irritable to skin?
Longlasting effects?

"DR BECKMANN TO THE RESCUE"

One of my most hated household tasks is cleaning the oven. The oven cleaners I have used in the past have either been in cream form which cannot cope with the dried on grease and grime, or ones containing harsh chemicals that burn your throat whenever you stick your head near the oven to give a good scrub.

It doesn't take much to twist my arm into buying new products, especially if it promises to make my life easier. So when I see Dr Beckmann Rescue Oven Cleaner advertised on the television I am sucked right in and make a mental note to get this on my next shopping trip.

While in Tesco, I head straight for the cleaning products department and find just what I'm looking for. Dr Beckmann can be found next to other oven cleaners. It comes in a 375ml Trigger spray bottle which is predominantly white with a blue trim. The label is nothing outstanding, a picture of a gleaming oven with a bottle of Dr Beckmann aimed at it. The word "Rescue" stands out a mile in bold, bright letters. The bottle cost me £2.91 and it is available in other supermarkets, or you can buy it in electrical shops such as Comet or Curry's and it costs a little bit more.

When I get home I decide now's as good time as any to clean the oven. I have a quick read of the instructions again before getting to work.

A quick shake of the bottle to waken up the product and switch the nozzle onto the Spray position. You can use this product either on a hot oven or cold oven depending on how much time you have on your hands. If cleaning a hot oven simply spray on the gel and leave for 30-60 minutes. I decide to use on a cold oven as I am in no hurry and I want the job done properly. Leave on for anything between 2-4 hours, or if your oven is particularly dirty and neglected you can leave on overnight for up to 24 hours.

What I like about Dr Beckmann is that there are no harmful chemicals in it, and there are no nasty fumes given off so no need for a gas mask. It is perfectly safe to use, so if you get any on your skin, no need to panic as Dr Beckmann has been dermatologically tested. This cleaner and other products from the Dr Beckmann range have not been tested on animals.

As this cleaner is an active gel it is extremely powerful and makes light of any burnt on foods or dried on grease and grime. It can be used inside the oven as well as on the oven shelves, oven trays and the glass. It will bring back the sparkle to your oven and leaves it looking as good as new, without you having to scrub away for hours.

The gel has a fresh, zingy aroma and not the smell of harsh chemicals. Although it has a citrus scent, it still packs a punch when it comes to cleaning and you don't need to spray on loads of gel to get perfect results as a little goes a long way.

Once you are satisfied that the gel has been left on long enough, simply remove with a clean cloth, or a sponge dampened with clean water. You will be gobsmacked at how much dirt is taken off. Even on an oven that isn't particularly dirty will still give you a shock when you look at the cloth. Once all the gel cleaner is removed your oven will be shimmering like new.

Now for the bad news. Dr Beckmann must not be used on self-cleaning ovens. If you have one of these then your best bet is to follow the advice of the manufacturer of your own oven. This cleaner must also not be sprayed into the ventilation area of the oven, or into any slits inside. Avoid shiny or lacquered surfaces as the gel could cause damage.

Dr Beckmann has quite a large range of cleaning products including hob cleaner which I have also tried, limescale remover, and metal polish wipes amongst others.

For more information on this brilliant product range, write to the following address:

Acdo Service Bureau
Bolton
BL 8PP
England

There is a website where you can visit for more information, fun and entertainment, or download screensavers for your pc. log onto www.acdo.co.uk.

• tekin21 published 26/05/2005
    Was thinking how great this sounded until I read the bit about self-cleaning ovens, I have a self-cleaning oven but it doesn’t self clean :o( Jane x
  • tamsin23 published 24/11/2003
    Hmmm, clean the oven??? ME??? I'll bear it in mind in case I get round to it! Tamsin xx
  • SarahP published 22/11/2003
    I will have to look out for this. Thanks :o)