Review of "Dr. Beckmann Rescue"

published 18/04/2004 | becky93
Member since : 30/03/2003
Pro The best one I have tried so far
Cons Still doesn't make cleaning the oven enjoyable
Do you need to use much for each clean?
Irritable to skin?
Longlasting effects?

"Rescue your oven!"

I hate cleaning the oven, it has to be the worst job in the house (and that includes cleaning the toilet!).

I cleaned the oven a little over a month ago, but the product I used didn't actually work very well, and the whole house had a horrible smell everytime I turned it on.

So on this weeks grocery trip I decided to "treat myself" to a different oven cleaner. Looking around there was not that much choice in Tesco's, but this one did stand out... mainly because it can be used on hot ovens and therefore takes a little less time.

It comes in a 375ml spray bottle, and costs a little under £3. The bottle is white, with a blue screw top and spray nozzle. There is a picture of a very sparkly clean oven and boasts that it is "the Non-Harmful Formula that works". It also states that there are no nasty smells which is always a bonus.

On the back you find that you can use it on ovens, grills and barbecues - however you can't use it on self-cleaning ovens you need to follow the manufacturers advice for that.

Now for a quick clean, you heat the oven to approximately 50oC and then turn is off. Next you evenly spray the active gel onto the sufaces and close the door. You leave this on for 30 to 60 minutes depending on how bad your oven is, and then wash it out with hot soapy water - that's the horrible messy part. :-(

If you're cleaning a cold oven you evenly spray it on, and then shut the oven door. You leave this on for 2 to 4 hours, or if your oven is really horrible overnight or for 24 hours. Then, as before wash it out with hot soapy water.

Now I thought the best time to do this was as soon as I got home... Otherwise I would persuade myself that there were more important things to do like NOT cleaning the oven. I didn't want to waste lots of time in case the product didn't work, and so decided to clean a 'hot oven'.

In my eyes it worked very well, it didn't get rid of all the dirt, but that will be done next weekend when I leave it overnight. It might sound like a waste of time doing it twice, but I'd rather find out that it works before leaving it on overnight and risk ruining my oven.

The oven is very clean, and we put it on after to check that it doesn't smell, and it didn't. I'm extrememly impressed with this, and wil definately continue to use it. That is until the invent a cleaner that you spray on, and it cleans itself up - but I think that might be a long way away!!

• Rosieoli published 30/04/2004
    Believe me if you don't wash it all off and then turn the ovan on, the fumes make your eyes water and it smells awful! Rosie
  • Gu1nevere published 23/04/2004
    I recently used this for the first time and was amazed at the lack of nasty stink. It has to be said that after 5 hours it didnt get my oven completely clean but given the 5 month elapse since my previous effort i dont think this is unreasonable. There are some pretty toxic chemicals in cleaners that dont do half as good a job so i think, in the interests of household astmatics i'll be sticking with this one too. Guinevere
  • purplelynne published 21/04/2004
    I haven't heard of this, I usually use Mr Muscle, so i may give this one a try next time. Lynne X