Dr. Cook Bitless Bridle

Dr. Cook Bitless Bridle

Review of "Dr. Cook Bitless Bridle"

published 05/12/2014 | Trish1996
Member since : 05/12/2014
Pro Easy to use and not likely to damage a horse.
Cons Not for untrained horses or riders
Style
Fit

"Dr. Cook Bitless Bridle is a revolution in riding."

This is an amazing product, mostly because it removes the bit from the horses mouth. In 99% of the horses I have ridden and or trained, I have found bits to be unnecessary (like shoes).
Mine is made from beta leather - so not real leather - however it wipes off with a damp sponge and requires virtually no care. They are also available in nylon.
I received mine as a birthday gift and I believe the price was about $100.00. I have had it about 4 years and it looks brand new even though I use it weekly.
As I have worked with and trained so many horses and mules over the years I have needed to modify the basic idea for a few of my animals so I only use the "original" for riding well trained stock.
This is a bridle for well-trained stock ONLY. It is not for use with a puller or runaway unless in the hands of a professional. This bridle works best for horses that only require a light touch and are trained well enough to not resist your hands. And this bridle works best for riders who are trained well in technique so that you do not teach your horse to pull against you.
In most cases, the Dr. Cook Bitless Bridle is an advantage over any other bitted or non-bitted bridle (bosal, hackamore). And it is a superior advantage over riding in a halter which has been quite popular for casual riding.

From their website: The Bitless Bridle is the only bridle that ensures a pain-free rein aid. It works on an entirely new and different concept compared with all previous bridles. The Bitless Bridle provides, as it were, full service communication, whereas the traditional bitless bridles all have limitations in their ability to provide for rider/horse communication. The hackamores and bosals, for example, make some provision for stopping (though with similar inherent problems to the bit method) but are weak on steering, whereas the sidepulls provide for steering but are weak on stopping. Furthermore, whereas the Bitless Bridle is applicable to all disciplines, the traditional bitless bridles are not.

• euphie published 07/12/2014
    helpful :o)
  • LiveMusicLoverLyn published 07/12/2014
    Whilst I don't completely agree with all their claims, I have worked succesfully with these bridles too and find they are very good for some horses. I am really pleased the review drew attention that these are not suitable for novice users as a good grounding and knowledge of equine anatomy is required to understand how these tools work and to use them in the most efective and humane way. :) What is missing is the £ price and where to buy in the UK as this is the UK site ;)
  • Icypink published 07/12/2014