Review of "Dr Pepper Zero"

published 28/11/2011 | daisyleex
Member since : 24/05/2011
Satisfactory
Pro Low calorie
Cons Fizz isn't long lasting, tastes very artificial, left my mouth dry
Packaging Design
Taste / Flavour

"Dr Pepper Zero"

When it comes to fizzy drinks such as Coke, Pepsi etc, I do always opt for the diet version as I am very weight concious. Not only do the diet drinks contain no sugar, they are also more teeth kind. I know that fizzy drinks will never be good for my teeth, but with the sugar free versions I atleast know that there's not a ton of sugar in there that will rot my teeth or make me fat.

I used to love Dr Pepper but have been avoiding it for years because of the amount of sugar that it contains and because it's not really a drink that I am particullary fond of - it does have quite a strange flavour and I much prefer diet Pepsi. I was at my friend Sean's last weekend and he had a massive bottle of Dr Pepper, and I gave into temptation (I was really craving something sugarry!) and had a glass. I was moaning about the calories and so he went into his kitchen and got a few cans of the zero version out of his cupboard, and so I decided to try the zero version as i've never tried it before - infact I was pretty oblivious to the fact that there is a diet version so I was really keen to have a taste - how sad does that sound!?

Dr Pepper Zero comes in big 2 litre bottles, 500ml bottles and 330ml cans, all of which have the red and black colour scheme with white writing saying Dr Pepper. Underneath this it says "Zero" in big white font on a black background. The packaging is simple, unisex and easily recognisable. As I said before, I drank this out of the can. It was easy to open and wasn't too fizzy, meaning it didn't go everywhere which is always a plus side to a can of pop! The smell hit me straight away, it is a very weird smell which is overlly sweet with a weird kind of marzipan smelling undertone, in my opinion anyway.

The taste of this is nice but not quite like what the original Dr Pepper tastes like, and it has a kind of harsh feel to it if that makes sense (the full fat version doesn't, it has a much smoother feel to it), and as a result my mouth felt quite dried out and it didn't really quench my thirst. The taste has less sweetness and more weirdness, it's kind of like marzipan mixed with fruit (not sure what type of fruit though). I drank half of the can and that was enough - I wasn't keen at all as it just didn't taste 'right' - it just tasted extremely fake with a weird undertone. Atleast with the normal Dr Pepper it is very flavoursome and sweet, but this stuff just tasted overlly fake and the sweetners that it contained didn't really do it any favours as it made it have that horrible aspartame aftertaste.

The fizz wasn't too long lasting either and it was pretty flat after around 10 minutes, with a bit of fizz left but not enough for it to actually taste like pop (more like juice) so this is another disadvantage.

The only advanage is that it gives you the taste of Dr Pepper for much less calories - 1.5 calories per 250ml serving, to be exact. Price wise, a multipack of six 330ml cans is £3.06 and a 2 litre bottle is £1.78, so as you can see it isn't excactly cheap but to be fair, supermarkets so often have offers on such as buy one get one free or 2 lots of multipacks for a fiver. Overall this is an okay drink but I won't bother with it again - it just doesn't taste right.

• Coloneljohn published 04/12/2011
    Well reviewed.I'm not keen on this either. John
  • jjcross published 01/12/2011
    I hate Dr Pepper in what ever form it comes in. Coca Cola is also vile- I love Fanta the most!!!
  • catsholiday published 29/11/2011