Art & Creativity - Activity books and hobbies - ISBN: 1909855723

Review of "Dream Catcher: A Soul Bird's Journey - Christina Rose"

published 25/07/2015 | sandemp
Member since : 21/10/2002
Mum to four adult children and two little monsters. A very special and different six year old and cleverclogs of a two year old. Starting a series of weight loss themed reviews.
Pro Variety in detail. Nice pictures. Good quality paper
Cons The "inspirational quotes"
Degree of Information
How easy was it to read / get information from
How interesting was the book?
How useful was it?
Would you read it again?

"A Colourful Journey"

Dream Catcher: A Soul Bird's Journey - Christina Rose

I can't remember a time when I haven't enjoyed colouring in, there's just something about it that I find both calming and relaxing. There has never been a time when at least one page in my children's colouring books has found it's way in to my hands to be coloured and shaded. But until recently this was a hobby I hid away, something that I didn't share with the world. Now with the emergence of adult colouring books, I'm ready to come out of the closet, I'm Sandemp and I enjoy nothing better than spending a couple of hours colouring in and I'm pretty good at staying in the lines.

The Departure Point

Dream Catcher : A Soul Bird's Journey is one of collection of adult colouring books designed by Christine Rose and it follows the same basic format as another of her colouring books in my collection (Life On Earth). The cover features a multitude of line drawings with a few splashes of colour, while not quite as beautiful as Millie Marotta's Animal Kingdom, Soul Bird's Journey would certainly not look out of place on a coffee table and cannot be mistaken for a child's colouring book.

The pages within the book are of a decent quality, thick enough that it's unlikely that they will tear if a little too much pressure is applied with a pencil. I've only ever used various pencils to colour rather than felt tip pen so I don't know if that would seep through, but there is only a line drawing on one side of each page. On the other side of the page is an “inspirational quote”, which I imagine links in with the idea that colouring for adults is some kind of therapy. With such gems as “A bird doesn't sing because it has an answer; it sings because it has a song” and “Reach high, for stars lie hidden in your soul. Dream deep, for every dream precedes the goal”, I guess they're nice enough if you like that sort of thing, but I prefer to ignore them.

The Journey Begins

While some of my adult colouring books simply feature line drawing loosely based on a theme, Soul Bird's Journey takes this a little further and follows a bird on it's journey through the forest, with a variety of scenes in which the bird is depicted in some manner. In some of the pictures we can see the whole bird, in others maybe only a wing, another picture focuses on feathers, while looks at butterflies similar to those in other pictures with the bird.

There is a good variety among the fifty pictures, both in subject matter and difficulties. Some pages are absolutely filled from corner to corner with intricate designs and tiny areas to colour, while others have barely any detail. I love this variety, it gives me the chance to sit and spend hours with perfectly sharpened colouring pencil gradually creating a masterpiece if that's what I'm in the mood for. Or I can spend my time carefully shading larger areas, if that's what I'm in the mood for.

How long each picture takes me depends on a number of factors, such as how intricate the design and whether I colour each tiny area separately. The very first picture took me a good couple of hours as it has quite a lot of detail, including hundreds of leaves in the trees, where I coloured each tiny leaf separately. The design on the second page was far simpler, but still took almost as long as I took the opportunity to practise my shading. I'm reckoning on it taking me an average of two hours to colour in each picture (although looking ahead there are a couple that are going to take at least five hours), so there should be at least one hundred hours of colouring fun in this book.

The Destination

I have only used premium quality colouring pencils in the book, both standard and watercolour, so cannot comment on cheaper pencils or anything containing ink. The paper itself is quite smooth, the pencil doesn't seem to drag at all, and colour transfer to the paper is pretty good (although that is probably more to do with the quality of pencil). As many of the areas to be coloured are so small, some little more than the width of a highly sharpened pencil, I do need to ensure that I keep my pencils as sharp as possible to get the best results. While the results with standard colouring pencils are a little muted (and very pretty), using watercolour pencils (without water) gives far more vivid results, that are probably better suited to the fantasy and patterned pages. Once the page has been coloured it can easily be removed from the book to display on the wall, there is even a “cut here” dotted line. Although I do like this idea, I think, just for now, that I'm going to keep my coloured pages in the book.

Although there are some pictures within the book that a competent eight year could manage to colour in within the lines, the vast majority are far too detailed for younger artists. I would imagine that most children would find the vast majority of pictures too detailed and frustrating, although I would have loved it at about ten upwards when children's colouring books were becoming too childish, but I was a strange child.

Final Words

I have to admit that this is a lovely colouring book that I am really enjoying filling in. I find the whole activity relaxing and yet satisfying and enjoy losing myself in the fine detail. The finished pictures are pretty good too.

So if you enjoy (or enjoyed while growing up) colouring in and want something a little more grown up than the children's colouring books, then I can't recommend Dream Catcher : A Soul Bird's Journey enough. Although at first glance £4.99 for a colouring book may seem a little expensive, when you consider there are fifty pictures each taking a couple of hours each, it works out at just 10p a picture.

• StewwyB published 02/08/2015